6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Need some advice today

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 07:50 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
Need some advice today

Hi guys,

I developed a miss today and I am pretty bummed.

Truck has been running awesome and today I did a 1/8 mile get on the gas run and noticed my EGT's did not climb as they normally do. I get to the stop light and the truck starts to stumble. The truck drives fine, but it has an apparent miss....like a dead plug (on a gasser)

On the right side I can hear a louder than normal tick under the valve cover and am wondering if I broke something.

On my rebuild I replaced all lifters and injectors with Warren 175/30 sticks. I just got back from a solid towing performance after going through the desert and did not expect this.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Dead injector?
Broken rocker assembly?

Thanks
Joe

Old 08-01-2018, 08:56 PM
xcrsp440
Fleet Mechanic
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts
Any codes to share?

Old 08-01-2018, 08:57 PM
mattdoc88
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What codes is it throwing?
When cranking the engine, is there a miss? Use the starter wire on the passenger side so you can crank for 5-10s without it starting.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:32 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
Bubble test?

Old 08-01-2018, 10:24 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master

Ok so I got to the bottom of it.

Real quick- pulled the engine out, did a bunch of stuff with the ADII being one of them (11 months ago)

Truck has been great. AD has maintained 60 psi with no issues. After thinking a bit I started digging into it. Fuel pressure sensor failed 3 days ago so I put in my mechanical gauge and had 0 psi....so Im like wtf?
Started digging around and pulled the ADII relay (pic included) and it looks a tad burnt and smells like it. I put in a new relay nothing so I jumped the pumped and started the truck.....ran like a charm not a miss and not one issue. I almost cried that it wasn't something serious.

I replaced the 2 amp keyed fuse from the fuse panel, replaced the relay and all is good.

I am going to call these PURE FLOW people tomorrow and tell them about the relay and the possibility of their pump failing prematurely, overheating the relay.

Man the way it was running (obviously starving for fuel) sure sounded like I dropped an injector or valve......PHEEEEEW!

What a relief

Old 08-02-2018, 06:17 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by joe blow

Ok so I got to the bottom of it.

Real quick- pulled the engine out, did a bunch of stuff with the ADII being one of them (11 months ago)

Truck has been great. AD has maintained 60 psi with no issues. After thinking a bit I started digging into it. Fuel pressure sensor failed 3 days ago so I put in my mechanical gauge and had 0 psi....so Im like wtf?
Started digging around and pulled the ADII relay (pic included) and it looks a tad burnt and smells like it. I put in a new relay nothing so I jumped the pumped and started the truck.....ran like a charm not a miss and not one issue. I almost cried that it wasn't something serious.

I replaced the 2 amp keyed fuse from the fuse panel, replaced the relay and all is good.

I am going to call these PURE FLOW people tomorrow and tell them about the relay and the possibility of their pump failing prematurely, overheating the relay.

Man the way it was running (obviously starving for fuel) sure sounded like I dropped an injector or valve......PHEEEEEW!

What a relief
Are you using the PF wiring harness??? I completely did away with what they sent and use the stock wiring to trip a 45A relay and something like #2 wire directly down to the pump from the driver side battery.

Thank God for the fuel pressure gauge, huh??

Old 08-02-2018, 09:34 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Hi Tim,

Yes I am using their harness.

Do you think the wiring is inadequate for the pump draw through the 18g wiring?

Did you rewire the pump internally or just bring down the heavier gauge to the provided pump pigtail?

Old 08-02-2018, 10:02 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
Length of wire and amps drawn.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:10 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
That makes sense. I am calling pure flow today and getting to the bottom of it

Old 08-02-2018, 10:12 AM
JJ1101
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I too just had the same relay starting to fail on me. I am also using the their wiring harness and had the original fuse holder melt when one of my motors went bad (currently on my 4th). Let me know what you come up with because I don't trust that harness.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:38 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
So according to pure flow tech support:

-The provided harness is adequate
-The pump filters should be replaced at 10k miles (I have read different, but I am at 9k)
-On the side of the pump there is an inspection plate that houses the gear rotors. In there can accumulate some stuff that will make the pump work harder and cause a higher amp draw melting relays.

I will ck this an report what I see

Old 08-02-2018, 10:40 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by JJ1101
I too just had the same relay starting to fail on me. I am also using the their wiring harness and had the original fuse holder melt when one of my motors went bad (currently on my 4th). Let me know what you come up with because I don't trust that harness.
Are you using the 165 4G ADII ?

Old 08-02-2018, 10:52 AM
JJ1101
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Are you using the 165 4G ADII ?
It is the 165 ADII but don't know if it's the 4G. I've had it for years, so probably not the 4G but the newest motor I got is the supposedly much more reliable model. It was bigger than the old motor.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:29 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Hi Tim,

Yes I am using their harness.

Do you think the wiring is inadequate for the pump draw through the 18g wiring?

Did you rewire the pump internally or just bring down the heavier gauge to the provided pump pigtail?

I didn't open the motor because of warranty reasons, I just went to the pump connector. I know their harness is technically sufficient, but I already had wiring in place that was much larger and went heavier still just because. I've never seen the thing about filters being changed at 10K but I can understand it because of our high quality fuel supply (HAHA), although I was told that the water/fuel separator was stainless and washable. It looked more like paper to me...... I do have the 165 ADII 4G and it's been really good (so far). I hadn't heard about taking off the motor side plate, but I bet it comes off today.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:37 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by JJ1101
It is the 165 ADII but don't know if it's the 4G. I've had it for years, so probably not the 4G but the newest motor I got is the supposedly much more reliable model. It was bigger than the old motor.
IIRC the 4G is the model that went to a lovejoy style motor coupling so that the motor isn't directly connected to the pump and won't fill with diesel fuel.

Quick Reply: Need some advice today