Sponsored by: Moser

1979 f250 crew cab project

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 10:17 PM
nzirbel
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1979 f250 crew cab project

Well, I haven't figured out how to post pics since the Photobucket mess, but here's what I got myself into.
I've had my share of dents, but have always been on the lookout for a crew cab. Fate smiled on me, and I got the opportunity to buy a 79 f250 crew cab short box, 400 4x4. It's been sitting for 15 years so it's in need of a lot of help. It's showing 93k miles, but I seriously doubt anything on the truck will go untouched since it has sat so long. Anybody can tell me how to post pics and I'll give you all the pics and keep you up to date.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:55 AM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by nzirbel
Well, I haven't figured out how to post pics since the Photobucket mess, but here's what I got myself into.
I've had my share of dents, but have always been on the lookout for a crew cab. Fate smiled on me, and I got the opportunity to buy a 79 f250 crew cab short box, 400 4x4. It's been sitting for 15 years so it's in need of a lot of help. It's showing 93k miles, but I seriously doubt anything on the truck will go untouched since it has sat so long. Anybody can tell me how to post pics and I'll give you all the pics and keep you up to date.
Go to the gallery section.
You can direct upload from your computer to the gallery your photos.
Save the picture identifier (I copy and paste) found under "share"
When you want to post a picture, utilize the picture identifier.
Or you can simply choose to upload from "your device" (computer), like so -->

BTW, welcome to the crew cab family...

Old 07-31-2018, 06:04 PM
nzirbel
More Turbo

Here it is the day it was dropped off

All 4 wheels were locked up so the seller threw in delivering it on a roll back. Getting it from there into the shop was interesting!

Having sat for 15 years with no bed on it took it's toll. The rear end sat with water in it, ring and pinion are crusted and the housing looks horrible. Add that to both brakes being rusted solid and the rear end is a goner.

Fuel tank probably leaks too.

Got the rear end dropped, tank and lines out, shock mounts replaced, now starting on por 15.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:42 PM
9thPony
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice project! Looking forward to watching the progress.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:34 PM
nzirbel
More Turbo

Hope your patient, it needs a ton of work. My goal is go more towards a restoration, not a nut and bolt, just mild alterations since they're getting harder to find and I want a nice driver. For the rear end I'm swapping in a Sterling 10.25. I got lucky and found one at a salvage yard from a '95 f250 non abs truck with 4.10 gears and a factory limited slip.

The rear leaf springs need help so I'm researching swapping all of them for either a 90's f250/ with f350 fronts or maybe even a superduty. From what I see I'll get a minor lift 1-2", and hopefully I can locate them used.

Other than replacing the entire brake system, fuel system, flushing all fluids, rebuilding the front axle, replacing all u joints, fixing a bunch of rust, painting it, sorting out the electrical system, then figuring out what condition the drive train is in.......it should be an easy project.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:38 PM
9thPony
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My crew cab project is going on 12 years - I dont know if that makes me patient or incompetent though 😁

Sounds like a good plan though so keep us all up to date with progress and pictures!

Old 08-01-2018, 12:00 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice truck! Its a long haul process, also known as a labor of love. Take your time, enjoy the process. Their is honestly something very therapeutic about working on/improving/overall saving classic iron.
Looking forward to your progress.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:16 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Great build thread so far! Keep us up to date with your progress

Looking forward to seeing more. Like already said... enjoy the building process and take your time - it's the best part.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:44 PM
nzirbel
More Turbo

The back half of the frame is all por 15'd. Got the new fuel tank in and mounted up with new straps and a new sender. I went with the oversized 38 gallon and am ditching the dual tank setup since they're both junk and all the wiring/plumbing would need to be replaced.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:14 AM
maddogjohnson
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Aw, c'mon you could have used that original gas tank still.

Can you tell us a little more about how fate smiled on you and you bought the truck? I like hearing the backstory on how these old rigs get acquired.

Looking forward to seeing you make progress and posting updates.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:01 AM
emeraldcoupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
great project, i'd love to find a crew for myself.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:37 AM
nzirbel
More Turbo

Here's the backstory: about 2 years ago I was at a salvage yard getting some parts for my 1976 dent. I got to talking with the guy and mentioned that I'd really love to have a crew cab. He told me to hop in his truck and he drove me to one they had in the yard that they had bought with intentions of redoing it. I asked if it was for sale and he said no.

Fast forward to this spring it was still on my mind. I got off work early and swung in there to make them a cash offer. When I got there they told me that they had sold it. Oh well I guess, I'll keep looking.

About a month ago a friend sent me a link to a crew for sale. Yep! Everything I wanted. 79, short box, 4x4. Called the guy that had it listed who turned out to be my old neighbor. And low and behold it was the same truck I was trying to buy from the salvage yard! Done deal, this had to happen. This is fate. Took 25 hours to sell my 76 from listing to cash in hand. Now I've got my ideal truck and I'm going to do it justice. It needs a TON of work, but as you guys know, when you want the end result, the work is worth it.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:53 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I know what you can do with a project that starts in as bad or worse shape than that so I look forward to what you do to this one. Good luck bro!

Old 08-12-2018, 11:55 AM
nzirbel
More Turbo

Not major progress but all the little stuff takes time. I ordered the oversized tank from LMC because it came with the installation kit and extension for the fuel sending unit. To install the extension, you cut the existing pickup and wire. Then you put in the copper extension. The directions say solder or epoxy the connections. After a few unsuccessful solder attempts, I used steel stick from JB weld on the joints. It comes with a wire extension and scotch locs, but I soldered and heat shrinked them. I also put a small piece of fuel line on the wire with a clamp so bumps didn't slap the wire around. Like I said, the little stuff adds up.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:51 PM
nzirbel
More Turbo

I got one of the new rear leaf springs mounted. I know it doesn't seem like progress, but it's a big step. My brother, member bigzirb, was killed in a motorcycle accident a few weeks ago. He was my dentside partner in crime. I'd always send him pics and updates, and we'd talk out the problems together. It's going to be difficult to pick up a wrench for a bit, but I'm going to get this one done.

Quick Reply: 1979 f250 crew cab project