1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How much coolant for t stat replacement only?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 10:21 AM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
How much coolant for t stat replacement only?

How much coolant should be expected to be replaced when replacing the t stat?

I just did a flush this past spring. A small leak at the housing presented itself even with RTV. I bought RRs billet housing. Turns out the t stat o-ring was crimped. During removal, I lost all fluid in the degas tank. How much fluid should I buy to top off?

Old 07-21-2018, 12:11 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
They sell hose pinch off pliers, get two to clamp down on the rad hoses, it'll minimize the flow out of the radiator. I have the ones from HarborFreight, they work well.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:29 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm confused. How did you lose all the fluid in the coolant bottle? Didn't you use the drain on the radiator to catch and reuse the coolant?

Old 07-21-2018, 01:50 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
Originally Posted by HD Rider
use the drain on the radiator to catch and reuse the coolant?
This is what I do. Years ago I bought a light gray colored plastic oil pan with a pour spout on it. I use this pan for coolant work only.

When I go to use it, I rinse it with water and dry it off. This ensures the coolant drained into it stays free from contamination.

If you want to go the extra mile, you can strain the coolant through a cloth before putting it back in the degas bottle.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:54 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by SaintITC
They sell hose pinch off pliers, get two to clamp down on the rad hoses, it'll minimize the flow out of the radiator. I have the ones from HarborFreight, they work well.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll remember this next go round.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:57 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Sous
This is what I do. Years ago I bought a light gray colored plastic oil pan with a pour spout on it. I use this pan for coolant work only.

When I go to use it, I rinse it with water and dry it off. This ensures the coolant drained into it stays free from contamination.

If you want to go the extra mile, you can strain the coolant through a cloth before putting it back in the degas bottle.
I should have done this. I didnt have a clean catch container and thought I could be quick enough pulling the upper rad hose off and routing it in such a manner as to not lose much coolant. Of course, nothing goes as smooth as I envision in my mind.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:14 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you will probably have to buy a gallon anyway (unless you think you lost more than two gallons of coolant), and also a gallon of distilled water. Mix up a quart or two of 50% each at a time in a pitcher and keep adding until topped off.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:28 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Agreed. 2 gallons should be plenty.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:30 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by DogRidesInBack
Since you will probably have to buy a gallon anyway (unless you think you lost more than two gallons of coolant), and also a gallon of distilled water. Mix up a quart or two of 50% each at a time in a pitcher and keep adding until topped off.
This is my plan of attack. Thanks!

I just didn't know if 1 gal each or 2 would be needed if someone had a better idea of what I lost in the tank and upper hose. I bought 2 of each to play it safe. At least, I think that should be safe.

I'm not sure if it is fitting or ironic that I'm back working on the cooling system on the hottest day of the year. 112 degrees right now in N TX.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:46 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
1.5 gallons of 50/50 mix got me full. Thanks everyone!

Old 07-21-2018, 05:19 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous

Wow Sous that is exactly what I do, the gray one from Autozone I believe it was, kept clean and reserved for coolant. I also drain it down and wait a good while before removing the T-Stat housing, this way everything is below the T-stat and I only lose a few drops. It does take a while for that top hose to drain out thru the closed T-Stat. I tried the hose pinchers at first but I didn't like pinching my hoses like that.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:45 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a dumb question, why worry about using the 50/50 mix if the system is already almost full? 50% is 50%

Old 07-21-2018, 06:08 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
Just a dumb question, why worry about using the 50/50 mix if the system is already almost full? 50% is 50%
Distilled water is less than a buck a gallon. So it's worth diluting the coolant.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:15 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
Those of us up north have to be **** about the ratio to prevent frozen/cracked blocks.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:10 AM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not as far up North as you are but it still gets darned cold here as well. A few years before I moved up here the lake froze over enough for the (dumb) kinds to drive across it.

Quick Reply: How much coolant for t stat replacement only?