Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 95 truck with 100k, what’s it going to need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 09:02 AM
cjetmech
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a 95 truck with 100k, what’s it going to need?

Hi guys, so I’m going to look at a 95 F-250 4X4 out of state with just over 100k on it. The truck looks clean and all original. But at this age i’m wondering what should be replaced before it leaves me stranded somewhere. I plan on doing all the basic service items if I buy it, but what would you guys replace just for a little Pom? Alternator? Fuel Pump? IGN module? And besides the front ends wearing out on these trucks, what else would you be looking at on a 23 yr old truck if you were thinking of buying it? It’s a reg cab, long bed, 460, 5spd, with 4.10’s. Appreciate any info. I know this is the best place to get it.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:38 AM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
This applies if you plan to hold on to this thing, maybe a bit overkill (?): I'd replace plugs, cap, rotor, wires (clean coil contacts at this time), fuel & air filter, change oil, change atf in the zf5 & BW13-56, change gear oil in axles, change power steering fluid (type F ATF, if I recall right?), repack front wheel bearings. Inspect u-joints. Inspect brakes. Clean battery terminals. Check coolant, probably old, so replace it while doing new hoses. While doing all of that, you'll get a good idea of other stuff that may need attention. Then I'd get some miles on it. Need brakes? Tires?
You can keep a few spare parts in the glove box, but I wouldn't go replacing sensors and pumps until you have a reason to. Oxygen sensor(s) is probably old and slow, replace. My original alternator came off with 245k miles on it, two years ago, but only to upgrade to higher output model I had on hand.

Spend time on dirt? Time for Bilstein shocks?

Front end worn out?

Last edited by GoinBoarding; 07-20-2018 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Added to list
Old 07-20-2018, 09:56 AM
cjetmech
New User
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
This applies if you plan to hold on to this thing, maybe a bit overkill (?): I'd replace plugs, cap, rotor, wires (clean coil contacts at this time), fuel & air filter, change oil, change atf in the zf5 & BW13-56, change gear oil in axles, change power steering fluid (type F ATF, if I recall right?), repack front wheel bearings. Inspect u-joints. Inspect brakes. Clean battery terminals. Check coolant, probably old, so replace it while doing new hoses. While doing all of that, you'll get a good idea of other stuff that may need attention. Then I'd get some miles on it. Need brakes? Tires?
You can keep a few spare parts in the glove box, but I wouldn't go replacing sensors and pumps until you have a reason to. Oxygen sensor(s) is probably old and slow, replace. My original alternator came off with 245k miles on it, two years ago, but only to upgrade to higher output model I had on hand.

Spend time on dirt? Time for Bilstein shocks?

Front end worn out?
Ya I plan on keeping it for a long time. So I had planned on doing everything you mentioned. I’m just wondering what are the things that start to go at this age/mileage. I wouldn’t have thought an alt would last to 245k, wow. You got your moneys worth outa that one. But that’s the kind of stuff that i’d Like to just go ahead and change if it’s even suspect on a truck this old. If there’s any parts that are common to fail, i’ll Just change them as long as it’s not a huge dollar part.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:21 AM
BLDTruth
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Swapping a rebuilt Dana 60 into the front will eliminate most of the problems you will find on an F250 with 100k miles. Most other things have been mentioned already

The other thing I would recommend is a timing chain - I just changed one on a 93 460 with 103k and was a little surprised to see it had more play in it than on most 302's I have opened up with a lot more miles. It might have been a fluke but with a 460, I would do EVERYTHING I could to improve performance and fuel economy.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:31 AM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by cjetmech

Ya I plan on keeping it for a long time. So I had planned on doing everything you mentioned. I’m just wondering what are the things that start to go at this age/mileage. I wouldn’t have thought an alt would last to 245k, wow. You got your moneys worth outa that one. But that’s the kind of stuff that i’d Like to just go ahead and change if it’s even suspect on a truck this old. If there’s any parts that are common to fail, i’ll Just change them as long as it’s not a huge dollar part.
I just mention the alternator because I don't think it was a miracle or luck, just a well made part. It still charges fine, and doesn't make any bearing noise. Put a store brand replacement in and you'd probably be worse off from a reliability standpoint.

If the truck is rust free, there's less to address with age. Midwest & northeast trucks usually need rear spring hangers at a minimum.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:17 AM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
I'm short on time but for sure if you buy it, check the belts and carry some new ones. Also make sure the jack and other items are there for a flat and wheel removal. I'm sure you will get more but I have an alignment appt. Good luck. Sandy
Also I would carfax the vin before you go and another thing that I did is facetime. I had the guy I was buying from go over everything I wanted to see. It was almost like being there. I had a whole check list I had him video while I looked. All of this is to help you decide if it is worth looking at and then buying it and driving it home. The other suggestions on here now are great ideas when/if you get it. Sandy

Old 07-20-2018, 11:29 AM
ncalf150
Freshman User
I think with that truck you should be good up to 200-300K miles, depending on your driving habits and oil change frequency.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:42 AM
cjetmech
New User
Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Swapping a rebuilt Dana 60 into the front will eliminate most of the problems you will find on an F250 with 100k miles. Most other things have been mentioned already

The other thing I would recommend is a timing chain - I just changed one on a 93 460 with 103k and was a little surprised to see it had more play in it than on most 302's I have opened up with a lot more miles. It might have been a fluke but with a 460, I would do EVERYTHING I could to improve performance and fuel economy.
Ya, the F-350 front axle swap would take care of the front end issues? I thought they were just as bad. Good to know, I like the way that the 350 sits level vs the 250 anyways. Thanks for the tip on the timing set. I will be going into the engine for more power so that’ll get done. It’s been awhile since I had an older Ford truck. Can’t wait to get this thing. It’ll be my 3rd 90’s era F-series. And somebody mentioned rust I think. It’s a west coast truck so none of that.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:30 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 850 Likes on 768 Posts
Last Fall I bought a 95 F250 SC 460, automatic/OD and 4.10 gears. It hit 100k as I was driving it home. All I've done so far is to replace the fuel filter and oil and filter. Looked like the brakes front and rear were done before I bought it. Did the usual check of belts, fluids, etc. So far 3 - 1200 mile trips from NY-VA with no issues.
2 WD

Old 07-20-2018, 05:23 PM
Inside Man
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Might I suggest first and foremost to invest in an OBD-1 Code reader.

I use this one and can't tell you enough how important it is to keep an eye on the things that you can't see.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/i...iABEgIUMfD_BwE

Use this first as well as all maintenance mentioned above have been performed.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:43 PM
cjetmech
New User
Originally Posted by GLR
Last Fall I bought a 95 F250 SC 460, automatic/OD and 4.10 gears. It hit 100k as I was driving it home. All I've done so far is to replace the fuel filter and oil and filter. Looked like the brakes front and rear were done before I bought it. Did the usual check of belts, fluids, etc. So far 3 - 1200 mile trips from NY-VA with no issues.
2 WD
Good for you. Sounds like you got a good one. These are such good trucks I have no problem buying one that’s been well taken care of even tho its almost 25 yrs old with 100k. I plan on spending a couple grand on it right away to go thru all the wear/service items. Even including that I’ll have a rust free mechanically sound truck for about Oh, $35k less than a new one. And it’ll run for years.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:45 PM
cjetmech
New User
Originally Posted by Inside Man
Might I suggest first and foremost to invest in an OBD-1 Code reader.

I use this one and can't tell you enough how important it is to keep an eye on the things that you can't see.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/i...iABEgIUMfD_BwE

Use this first as well as all maintenance mentioned above have been performed.
Oh ya I’ve got one. Gotta have it if you want to run old stuff like I do. Lol

Old 07-20-2018, 06:10 PM
BLDTruth
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya, the F-350 front axle swap would take care of the front end issues? I thought they were just as bad. Good to know, I like the way that the 350 sits level vs the 250 anyways. Thanks for the tip on the timing set. I will be going into the engine for more power so that’ll get done. It’s been awhile since I had an older Ford truck. Can’t wait to get this thing. It’ll be my 3rd 90’s era F-series. And somebody mentioned rust I think. It’s a west coast truck so none of that.
Notice I said the word "rebuilt" LOL. If you put new ball joints, bearings, and tie rods on it, it won't have issues.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:33 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi guys, so I’m going to look at a 95 F-250 4X4 out of state with just over 100k on it. The truck looks clean and all original. But at this age i’m wondering what should be replaced before it leaves me stranded somewhere. I plan on doing all the basic service items if I buy it, but what would you guys replace just for a little Pom? Alternator? Fuel Pump? IGN module? And besides the front ends wearing out on these trucks, what else would you be looking at on a 23 yr old truck if you were thinking of buying it? It’s a reg cab, long bed, 460, 5spd, with 4.10’s. Appreciate any info. I know this is the best place to get it.

No need for ANYTHING you mentioned. The 20+ year old original parts are better than pretty much anything you would replace them with. But I would consider a tune up(plugs, wires, cap rotor, fuel filter) and a fresh oil change on all the systems(Front + rear axles, engine, trans and t-case)

Check over the ball joints and steering linkage, replace if necessary. Also the TTB front ends like to EAT the upper shackle bushings

Old 07-20-2018, 07:18 PM
cjetmech
New User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
No need for ANYTHING you mentioned. The 20+ year old original parts are better than pretty much anything you would replace them with. But I would consider a tune up(plugs, wires, cap rotor, fuel filter) and a fresh oil change on all the systems(Front + rear axles, engine, trans and t-case)

Check over the ball joints and steering linkage, replace if necessary. Also the TTB front ends like to EAT the upper shackle bushings
Good point on the Oem parts being better quality than a new autozone replacement. And I didn’t know about the shackle bushings so thanks for that. I’m going to go thru this thing bumper to bumper and service EVERYTHING before I put it on the road. It’s still got the original muffler and tailpipes on it (which I can’t believe) so i want to replace them too with headers and a 3” system. I’ll be all over this thing.

Quick Reply: Buying a 95 truck with 100k, what’s it going to need?