2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Checking fuel pressure 6.2L

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 12:39 PM
Wesley Haddock
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checking fuel pressure 6.2L

Hey guys, dealing with an ongoing issue with 2 dealerships that refuse to honor their warranty on my truck. I have an extended crank issue that I believe to be a bad check valve in the fuel pump, but the dealer refuses to look any further at it because they have been unable to figure it out. Is there anyone that can tell me how to check the fuel pressure on the 2017 F250 6.2L? I have a pressure gauge and a shop full of tools, but I am used to working on much older vehicles. Is there a schrader valve somewhere that I’m missing?

Old 07-19-2018, 02:58 PM
TXSD6.2
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley Haddock
Hey guys, dealing with an ongoing issue with 2 dealerships that refuse to honor their warranty on my truck. I have an extended crank issue that I believe to be a bad check valve in the fuel pump, but the dealer refuses to look any further at it because they have been unable to figure it out. Is there anyone that can tell me how to check the fuel pressure on the 2017 F250 6.2L? I have a pressure gauge and a shop full of tools, but I am used to working on much older vehicles. Is there a schrader valve somewhere that I’m missing?
I was wondering the same. Mine is currently in the dealership for the issue (in addition to a few others) for the second time. The first time they said they coudln't duplicate it even though they kept it for a week (I realize it comes and goes, but should have been easily duplicated in a weeks time if they were really trying often enough) and assured me they checked the fuel pump pressure at various times and it was within spec.

It never fails when I'm in a crowded parking lot, gas station, or my neighbor is standing in their driveway it does the long crank and I get the "wtf, isn't that a brand new truck" looks. Maybe only once or twice in the two months and 3,500 miles has my truck done it on the fist start of the day, almost always on subsequent starts.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:15 PM
Wesley Haddock
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same issue here. From reading in other threads I suspect it to be bleeding off fuel pressure after shutoff due to a bad check valve. The dealer has given up on it so that leaves me to do the “professionals” job.... Sadly the truck is still within warranty, but that means nothing to the dealer who refuses to honor it.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:30 PM
TXSD6.2
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Dealer just called, my truck will be ready tomorrow. And they couldn't duplicate the intermittent long crank (again).

I really like my 2018 F250. This is the one issue that truly disgusts me though. I honestly dread starting the thing because it just sounds unhealthy when starting, even when it doesn't do a full long crank.

Old 12-16-2019, 12:01 PM
TheBigDirty
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did anyone ever come up with a fuel pressure test port on these yet?

Im looking a for a port just to get fuel out of it for the fuel pump replacement. My symptoms are stumbling, long cranks and lazy starts. Im gonna just replace the fuel pump, and not even deal with a stealerships nonsense on this one.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:17 AM
TXCOMT
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigDirty
Did anyone ever come up with a fuel pressure test port on these yet?

Im looking a for a port just to get fuel out of it for the fuel pump replacement. My symptoms are stumbling, long cranks and lazy starts. Im gonna just replace the fuel pump, and not even deal with a stealerships nonsense on this one.
Same symptoms here...I've got a date with Grapevine (Texas) Ford on Wednesday to take care of two recalls and the lazy start issue. Sure hope it's a pain-free experience; thankfully here in Dallas-Fort Worth, we've got a plethora of Ford houses. Surely one of 'em near me can fix this as I really don't want to swap pumps myself.

TXCOMT

Old 12-17-2019, 07:49 AM
C12H24
Posting Guru
Received 503 Likes on 264 Posts
I don't know where the service port is for the system, or even if there is one. You can get a fuel pressure reading by scanning the data stream.

If you do believe system pressure is bleeding down, there is a simple test you can do that requires no tools or special diagnostic skills. Cycle the key a couple times without attempting to start the engine. Turning the key to the "RUN" position energizes the fuel pump and doing this twice ensures fuel pressure is at the rail while cranking.

If the situation occurs more frequently on restarting a hot engine, you could be dealing with a flooding condition. In that case, it might be easier to start if you first put the throttle pedal down about half way, then crank. Adding throttle while cranking shuts off the fuel injectors and gives the engine extra air to help clear the flooding condition.

If one of these works for you, you now have a data point to talk to the service technician about.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:27 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have the dealer read through this thread.....
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-starting.html

Old 12-17-2019, 09:41 AM
whagen
Tuned
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I have the same long crank issue. I can pretty consistently reproduce it if i drive the truck 10 - 15 miles then let is sit for four (4) hours. There is usually a long crank after sitting that long give or take an hour. But If i let it sit longer it does not seem to happen or happen as much. Most (98%) morning it's fine.

I have looked in the logic of how the fuel system works and trying to make sense of why this happens. From what I can tell the fuel system is a single line system (there is no return line from the engine bay, maybe it still considered a return system since there is a regulator at the tank). I am not sure if the regulator is the type that limits the pressure upstream by bleeding off excess pressure in to the tank or not. On start-up the ECM checks the fuel pressure and tells the fuel pump control module to turn on the fuel pump to a certain speed. From what I have read it seems like the speed of the fuel pump is usually double of what the demand of the engine requires. I got this from reading though some of the files here: https://www.motorcraftservice.com/freeresources/obd. There is a chance that my understanding of how the system works or that it's the same for all Ford natually asperated gas engines.
  1. A bleed down in pressure should not be an issue, unless the bleed off is so large that the pump can't keep up. But i would think an error would be thrown.
  2. Maybe the pressure reading from the fuel pressure gauge are off. This should be easy to check to see what the ECM says and what a manual gauge reads
  3. Maybe the pump is marginal in the flow and pressure it is putting out. At low speeds and on start it takes a few seconds to catch up? I would thing there would be a low fuel pressure code.
Does this only seem to happen on keyless/push button start trucks? I tried to see if putting the truck in accessory first and then started would allow the fuel pump to run and build pressure, but that does not seem to work that way.

For those that have had the fuel pump replaced it seems to fit it. Can anyone confirm if its the pump, check valve, regulator,fuel pump control module, etc? When the "fuel pump" is replaced has it been the entire fuel pump assembly? Does the fuel pump assembly include the regulator?

Old 12-17-2019, 03:17 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,727 Likes on 1,326 Posts
Old 12-17-2019, 03:24 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,727 Likes on 1,326 Posts
Originally Posted by whagen
I have the same long crank issue. I can pretty consistently reproduce it if i drive the truck 10 - 15 miles then let is sit for four (4) hours. There is usually a long crank after sitting that long give or take an hour. But If i let it sit longer it does not seem to happen or happen as much. Most (98%) morning it's fine.

I have looked in the logic of how the fuel system works and trying to make sense of why this happens. From what I can tell the fuel system is a single line system (there is no return line from the engine bay, maybe it still considered a return system since there is a regulator at the tank). I am not sure if the regulator is the type that limits the pressure upstream by bleeding off excess pressure in to the tank or not. On start-up the ECM checks the fuel pressure and tells the fuel pump control module to turn on the fuel pump to a certain speed. From what I have read it seems like the speed of the fuel pump is usually double of what the demand of the engine requires. I got this from reading though some of the files here: https://www.motorcraftservice.com/freeresources/obd. There is a chance that my understanding of how the system works or that it's the same for all Ford natually asperated gas engines.
  1. A bleed down in pressure should not be an issue, unless the bleed off is so large that the pump can't keep up. But i would think an error would be thrown.
  2. Maybe the pressure reading from the fuel pressure gauge are off. This should be easy to check to see what the ECM says and what a manual gauge reads
  3. Maybe the pump is marginal in the flow and pressure it is putting out. At low speeds and on start it takes a few seconds to catch up? I would thing there would be a low fuel pressure code.
Does this only seem to happen on keyless/push button start trucks? I tried to see if putting the truck in accessory first and then started would allow the fuel pump to run and build pressure, but that does not seem to work that way.

For those that have had the fuel pump replaced it seems to fit it. Can anyone confirm if its the pump, check valve, regulator,fuel pump control module, etc? When the "fuel pump" is replaced has it been the entire fuel pump assembly? Does the fuel pump assembly include the regulator?

Old 12-19-2019, 06:06 AM
TheBigDirty
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TXCOMT
Same symptoms here...I've got a date with Grapevine (Texas) Ford on Wednesday to take care of two recalls and the lazy start issue. Sure hope it's a pain-free experience; thankfully here in Dallas-Fort Worth, we've got a plethora of Ford houses. Surely one of 'em near me can fix this as I really don't want to swap pumps myself.

TXCOMT
Fuel pump module replacement is not hard to do yourself. When I ordered my pump at my local dealership, the parts guy was like "we dont have too many requests for this" with a very quizzical look on his face. I explained what was going on and how I didnt want to bother trying for warranty and he understood stating "Yeah Ford is very hard on us when it comes to warranty claims" I also told him how there has already been revisions on the original part number to where he replied "then they obviously know there is a problem" and when he came back with my pricing he informed me "yup this part number has been revised 3 times now". If the dealership gives you problems, its an easy fix with simple hand tools. Good luck.

Originally Posted by whagen

Mine is a 17 XLT, so I do not have push button start. This is a general problem on any 6.2L using this fuel module because the problem exists in a check valve within the module.

Originally Posted by ATC Crazy

Priceless info right there!! Thank you!

Old 12-20-2019, 06:14 PM
TXCOMT
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info, TBD, but I’ve been blessed with a great SA...he just gave me word Grapevine Ford is replacing the fuel pump! Man, I’m happy; best Christmas gift I’ve ever had from a dealer!

TXCOMT