2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Should I delete this truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 09:43 AM
Ram2Ford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I delete this truck?

My smoking, hot wife went to my local diesel shop and purchased me any delete kit I wanted for my birthday. Funny thing is, I wasn't really considering it but she overheard a friend and I discussing it. So, I'm a little worried about the warranty issue as the truck has only 25K on it. I had an 07 Ram with the 5.7 I deleted and loved the fuel milage but hated the drone of the exhaust when hauling, it sounded nice driving around town but the drone made me want to drive in the ditch. I don't know a ton on these new trucks and delete kits as I came from a Ram. What say you all??

Old 07-18-2018, 09:46 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well forget about ever trading it in on another one. Not everyone will work on as well. Just know what you are getting into upfront.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:48 AM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ram2Ford
My smoking, hot wife went to my local diesel shop and purchased me any delete kit I wanted for my birthday. Funny thing is, I wasn't really considering it but she overheard a friend and I discussing it. So, I'm a little worried about the warranty issue as the truck has only 25K on it. I had an 07 Ram with the 5.7 I deleted and loved the fuel milage but hated the drone of the exhaust when hauling, it sounded nice driving around town but the drone made me want to drive in the ditch. I don't know a ton on these new trucks and delete kits as I came from a Ram. What say you all??
yes and marry her.

my dad always told me to marry someone who will fish with you - I think we can now add "or buys you a truck delete"

Sounds like you had no problems with your Ram delete so you know what you're getting into.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:01 AM
Owenage
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you made the right choice in locking that woman down! As for the delete, I don't think its a great idea. In my opinion, we have not worked out "ALL" of the kinks on the 2017+. Until your warranty expires I would suggest holding off on the delete. Unless you have deep pockets if anything goes wrong. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Joe

Old 07-18-2018, 10:10 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As stated before, dealers around here don't want deleted trucks for trade as they can't resell them if they don't meet emissions. That may vary depending on what state your in.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:26 AM
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you just do the delete pipe drone is minimal. Ask your local dealer, mine takes them at full trade value as long as you have all the parts. They resold my 14 as CPO after reinstalling everything. Results will definitely vary with dealers.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:59 AM
swlakingranch
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Delete it and don't look back. I deleted my truck at around 1200 miles, would have done it sooner but it took a week for the exhaust to come in. I have brought my truck to 2 local dealers for several small warranty issues and no one cared that it was deleted. I have also traded my 2 previous diesel trucks that were deleted with no issues, a 2014 Ram Laramie longhorn and a 2105 Denali HD. I think most of the people who say "don't do it, the dealer won't work on it" or "when you trade you will only get 10k for your 60k truck" are people who have never owned a deleted truck and are trying to make up reasons to justify not do doing it.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:23 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by swlakingranch
Delete it and don't look back. I deleted my truck at around 1200 miles, would have done it sooner but it took a week for the exhaust to come in. I have brought my truck to 2 local dealers for several small warranty issues and no one cared that it was deleted. I have also traded my 2 previous diesel trucks that were deleted with no issues, a 2014 Ram Laramie longhorn and a 2105 Denali HD. I think most of the people who say "don't do it, the dealer won't work on it" or "when you trade you will only get 10k for your 60k truck" are people who have never owned a deleted truck and are trying to make up reasons to justify not do doing it.
Obviously you don't live in California. I have no idea what Wyoming's emissions laws are. Does La. even do smog testing on diesels?

Old 07-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well not exactly. Come to the DFW area and try a Ford Dealer here. When a Dealer accepts a illegal vehicle in trade there is liability. Do your due diligence and you will discover the stone cold truth of the matter. As you continue to do this at some point you are going to be in for a very rude awakening--may already be depending on what you signed when you traded your truck in..... Some dealers are protecting themselves....

Old 07-18-2018, 12:50 PM
swlakingranch
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 69cj
Obviously you don't live in California. I have no idea what Wyoming's emissions laws are. Does La. even do smog testing on diesels?
Louisiana only does smog testing in 5 parishes. I could be wrong but I think it only applies to gas vehicles registered in those parishes.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:51 PM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ram2Ford
How do we know she is "smoking hot"???

Old 07-18-2018, 12:53 PM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
Obviously you don't live in California.
Whats that got to do with it? plenty of non-smog counties in california. i live in one of them.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:58 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave
Well not exactly. Come to the DFW area and try a Ford Dealer here. When a Dealer accepts a illegal vehicle in trade there is liability. Do your due diligence and you will discover the stone cold truth of the matter. As you continue to do this at some point you are going to be in for a very rude awakening--may already be depending on what you signed when you traded your truck in..... Some dealers are protecting themselves....
I agree that a dealer should not take a deleted truck in trade, if for no other reason than to protect themselves...however, you can delete a truck in such a manner that it isn't that hard to return it to stock. At that point, the truck should be fully in compliance with all applicable emissions laws and not have any issue trading in.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:59 PM
Turk2k5
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep it quiet so much better on longer trips.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:07 PM
SESWIM
Senior User
Just bought a 2014 F-250 SD Lariat. 68K miles, very nice truck for $19k. It is deleted. Previous owner could not get that out of it trading it in due to delete. So, it is NOT fiction that most dealers are not chomping at the bit for deleted vehicles.

Sam

Quick Reply: Should I delete this truck?