1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Approaching 200k miles, Service Rocommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 05:07 PM
mgfranz
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Approaching 200k miles, Service Rocommendations?

So my 2003 V10 gasoline Super Duty is sitting at 192,312 miles and is running fine, but I am curious as to what I should be looking for as far as high mileage service goes. I bought the truck used at 93k miles and so far besides regular oil changes, complete brake redo 15k ago, 2 thrown plugs and coils, plugs changed 15k ago, KN air filter clean every 10k and fixing things as they break, (power steering hose, bulbs, battery, etc...), is there anything I should be looking at for a service item at this mileage? Should I be worried about timing belts/chain issues? As far as I know the trans has never been serviced, I was told that we do not have to service trans. Drive train? U-Joints, center bearing? I live in a rust free state, basically a stock truck but I would like to get another 100k out of it.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:37 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by mgfranz

As far as I know the trans has never been serviced, I was told that we do not have to service trans.
Scary........

Old 07-11-2018, 07:18 PM
mgfranz
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by speakerfritz

Scary........

So... I have bogus info? Tranny service due?

Old 07-11-2018, 07:28 PM
fordmerc
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depending on how the truck has been used, a trans service should be done every 50K or less. What does the fluid look like?

Old 07-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Collision
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I were you at a minimum I would drain the pan of the tranny. I would do a full flush with Valvoline full synthetic from Walmart, its like 17 a gallon and you'll need 4 gallons. I'll give you the general steps
1. Drain the pan into a catch, then top off the fluid back to full.
2. Disconnect the tranny cooler return line on the side of the transmission, I recommend a flare end wrench, line goes in the passenger side, I'll post pictures if you need me to
3. Connect a short piece of hose to the end of the line towards the catch can.
4. Start the truck up and have someone watch the retuen line as you shift through the gears, when they say there is an air pocket, shut if off and refill the fluid to full. Run about 12 quarts of fluid or until it comes out of the tube as red
5. (Optional) add a quart of lucas transmission additive at the end.
6. Questions? Feel free to ask I've done this more than once

Old 07-11-2018, 07:58 PM
mgfranz
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Collision
If I were you at a minimum I would drain the pan of the tranny. I would do a full flush with Valvoline full synthetic from Walmart, its like 17 a gallon and you'll need 4 gallons. I'll give you the general steps
1. Drain the pan into a catch, then top off the fluid back to full.
2. Disconnect the tranny cooler return line on the side of the transmission, I recommend a flare end wrench, line goes in the passenger side, I'll post pictures if you need me to
3. Connect a short piece of hose to the end of the line towards the catch can.
4. Start the truck up and have someone watch the return line as you shift through the gears, when they say there is an air pocket, shut if off and refill the fluid to full. Run about 12 quarts of fluid or until it comes out of the tube as red
5. (Optional) add a quart of lucas transmission additive at the end.
6. Questions? Feel free to ask I've done this more than once
Fluid is definitely used, not totally burnt, but used. (I've seen a lot worse)
4 gallons of fluid? Seriously? I haven't checked the manual for total specs, but this seems like a logical thing to do. Anything else? What kind of timing system do we have? Chains? Tensioners? Belts?

Old 07-11-2018, 08:21 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot

At 200,000, for your truck, assuming everything prior was done at correct interval

Old 07-11-2018, 08:25 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
So... I have bogus info? Tranny service due?
no your good. I checked every service schedule and there is no drain indicated.

its still scary

Old 07-11-2018, 08:56 PM
mgfranz
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by speakerfritz

no your good. I checked every service schedule and there is no drain indicated.

its still scary

From what I have found so far, tranny service was suppose to have been done every 40k, so I'm well past due. New fuel filter has been sitting on the bench for 2 months. I'll do belts and hoses within the next month or so.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:08 PM
Collision
Senior User
Fluid is definitely used, not totally burnt, but used. (I've seen a lot worse)
4 gallons of fluid? Seriously? I haven't checked the manual for total specs, but this seems like a logical thing to do. Anything else? What kind of timing system do we have? Chains? Tensioners? Belts?
I believe it's 18 quarts total capacity (including the torque converter), but please don't nail me to the cross if I'm wrong. 4 gallons is what it took for me to change my fluid in a plow truck, fluid was read on the stick and was black and metallic draining into the catch can... I did not change my filter as I found it unnecessary

Update: here is the write up on our lovely website
https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/changing-atf-fluid-in-a-e4od-and-4r100-transmission/

Old 07-12-2018, 09:19 AM
Batman7777
Elder User
200,000 miles: Rear Diff fluid change? Transfer case fluid? Grease axles? Front Diff Fluid?

Just a few things..
Check front axle seals
Check Motor front and rear seals
Check shocks
Check Ball joints
Check Motor Mounts
Check/Replace brake fluid

Old 07-12-2018, 10:57 AM
mgfranz
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Batman7777
200,000 miles: Rear Diff fluid change? Transfer case fluid? Grease axles? Front Diff Fluid?

Just a few things..
Check front axle seals
Check Motor front and rear seals
Check shocks
Check Ball joints
Check Motor Mounts
Check/Replace brake fluid
Front wheel bearings and seals were changed when I did the full brakes about 15k ago, front shocks were changed at the same time, one was leaking. Front tie-rod ends and center link were changed about 20k ago, all zerks were greased at that time as well. The engine does not leak any oil or show any leaks at all, though it does drink a quart about every 10-12k miles. Replacing the brake fluid would be a good idea, I'll do some research of flushing the system. Motor mounts and tranny mounts are good, upon a visual inspection of the engine it looks like a couple vacuum lines and the PVC hose could use replacing, but that's it. So here's my plan;

Tranny service and filter
Brake fluid flush
Replace accessory belts
Replace failing rubber hoses & vacuum lines
Oil change due this weekend, so I'll do that too.

Thanks guys.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:17 AM
Collision
Senior User
Front wheel bearings and seals were changed when I did the full brakes about 15k ago, front shocks were changed at the same time, one was leaking. Front tie-rod ends and center link were changed about 20k ago, all zerks were greased at that time as well. The engine does not leak any oil or show any leaks at all, though it does drink a quart about every 10-12k miles. Replacing the brake fluid would be a good idea, I'll do some research of flushing the system. Motor mounts and tranny mounts are good, upon a visual inspection of the engine it looks like a couple vacuum lines and the PVC hose could use replacing, but that's it. So here's my plan;

Tranny service and filter
Brake fluid flush
Replace accessory belts
Replace failing rubber hoses & vacuum lines
Oil change due this weekend, so I'll do that too.

Thanks guys.
Brake fluid change is easy, just open the bleeders and bleed the brakes. When fluid gets low, top it off with the new fluid. Once you see new fluid being bled out of the back right caliper, move to back left and so on

Old 07-12-2018, 12:01 PM
mgfranz
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Collision
Brake fluid change is easy, just open the bleeders and bleed the brakes. When fluid gets low, top it off with the new fluid. Once you see new fluid being bled out of the back right caliper, move to back left and so on
Well that's too easy, with BMW and Audi it requires special pumps, fluid storage canisters, air pressure, etc... Oh, and $199. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:38 PM
Collision
Senior User
Well that's too easy, with BMW and Audi it requires special pumps, fluid storage canisters, air pressure, etc... Oh, and $199. Thanks.
Of course, by the way post some pictures of your rig, we all love pictures on here. Be careful with the bleeders, sometimes they seize, highly recommend flare end wrench

Quick Reply: Approaching 200k miles, Service Rocommendations?