Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory upgrades from the junkyard...

Old 07-02-2018, 01:10 PM
LSCRX
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory upgrades from the junkyard...

Almost immediately after buying my ex-fleet 1995 F-150 XL (2WD 5.0), I bought a gauge cluster from the pullapart so that I could add a factory tachometer. And a couple weeks ago I saw a factory under-hood light (that I didn't know was a thing) and snagged that as well, it was plug-and-play. The other day I was reading about cruise control, and it sounds like all I need is the servo and the steering wheel to make that work... all the wiring is there.

My question for all you Ford Truck Enthusiasts... what are some other upgrades for a base model truck like mine? I really like the idea of adding cruise control, since I use it so much with my daily driver (2016 Jetta)... but the tachometer and under-hood lamp were neat/easy upgrades as well. What have you upgraded (with factory parts) or what factory upgrades does your truck have that could be retrofitted to a stripper model?

I would really like to use a steering wheel from an Expedition or a newer F-150 if possible... the pullapart is full of them, and the OBS wheels are usually beat to hell by the time they end up in the junkyard. Not to mention I have a very small window of model years for the OBS to have a driver airbag, the odds of finding a 94-96 with cruise and a wheel in decent shape are small... I already snagged the servo/cable from a '93.

New cluster with factory tach

Factory and LED underhood lights.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:19 PM
95fiveoh
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Auto dimming rear view mirror is a great upgrade, cloth seats if you can find a set (they are a lot more comfortable than vinyl), illuminated vanity mirror visors, power side mirrors, Alcoa aluminum wheels, chrome bumpers. 4.9 or 460 air intake tube. Also you can buy a remote keyless entry kit from Bulldog online. It's simple to install and works great. Much better than using the key to lock and unlock the doors.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:35 PM
LSCRX
Tuned
Originally Posted by 95fiveoh
Auto dimming rear view mirror is a great upgrade, cloth seats if you can find a set (they are a lot more comfortable than vinyl), illuminated vanity mirror visors, power side mirrors, Alcoa aluminum wheels, chrome bumpers. 4.9 or 460 air intake tube. Also you can buy a remote keyless entry kit from Bulldog online. It's simple to install and works great. Much better than using the key to lock and unlock the doors.
My truck doesn't have a headliner, what kind of wiring is needed for the auto dimming mirror and vanity mirror visors?

I'm the only one that drives my truck... so I've never had to adjust the mirrors, My door panels are the basic ones with no pocket and manual locks/windows. So I assume that I would need to upgrade the panels if I wanted to upgrade to power locks/windows/mirrors?

I'll have to do a search on the intake tube, does the Bulldog kit require power locks? I did "upgrade" the lock on my toolbox with a BOLT lock (keyed to the truck ignition) since it didn't come with a key when I bought it.

Thanks for the input!

Old 07-02-2018, 02:02 PM
McLeod
Cargo Master
Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts
Power windows installed in a manual window truck:
you will need the door panels, the window motors, window regulators, door lock actuators, the circuit breakers for interior fuse panel and the wiring that goes under the dash from door to door.
You will need to cut the rivets in door out and replace them with bolts to attach all of the new parts.

The gauge cluster from a 92/93 wont work properly in a 95 without modification of the wire pin out [but it looks like yours is working]

Old 07-02-2018, 03:48 PM
bad_idea
Senior User
My truck HAD one of those under hood lights. They are prone to failure. When they fail they will drain your battery and **** you off. I don't know about Ford, but I know on older Chevys there was an option for an under hood light on a reel with a switch on the reel.

I have been looking for a 40/20/20 split bench for mine. Don't know if they made one for a single cab, mines an extended cab. They are nice because you have a bench when you need it but the rest of the time the center section drops down into an arm rest w/ a cup holder and a storage compartment.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:34 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 949 Likes on 754 Posts
I believe there is an electronic control box for cruise IIRC.. usually up under the dash. Probably one of the best upgrades for a 5.0 truck would be a lower axle gear ratio especially if your truck has 3.31 or 3/08 gears. 3.55 was common and many of those had a limited slip diff and 4.10 were also a option but not as common. The whole axle from another '87-96 F150 or Bronco is a direct bolt in.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:53 PM
LSCRX
Tuned
Originally Posted by Conanski
I believe there is an electronic control box for cruise IIRC.. usually up under the dash. Probably one of the best upgrades for a 5.0 truck would be a lower axle gear ratio especially if your truck has 3.31 or 3/08 gears. 3.55 was common and many of those had a limited slip diff and 4.10 were also a option but not as common. The whole axle from another '87-96 F150 or Bronco is a direct bolt in.
How hard is the rear axle to swap? I have the 3.08 open diff, and there’s a 3.55 lsd at the pullapart...

Old 07-02-2018, 05:57 PM
LSCRX
Tuned
Originally Posted by bad_idea
My truck HAD one of those under hood lights. They are prone to failure. When they fail they will drain your battery and **** you off. I don't know about Ford, but I know on older Chevys there was an option for an under hood light on a reel with a switch on the reel.
I saw one of those lights on a reel on an ‘84 F-150 at the Pullapart... it was broken. I took apart the switch and cleaned the contacts on the one I installed.

I have been looking for a 40/20/20 split bench for mine. Don't know if they made one for a single cab, mines an extended cab. They are nice because you have a bench when you need it but the rest of the time the center section drops down into an arm rest w/ a cup holder and a storage compartment.
That would be nice! I have an armrest sitting in the middle seat.. not ideal.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:09 PM
95fiveoh
Elder User
Originally Posted by LSCRX
My truck doesn't have a headliner, what kind of wiring is needed for the auto dimming mirror and vanity mirror visors?

I'm the only one that drives my truck... so I've never had to adjust the mirrors, My door panels are the basic ones with no pocket and manual locks/windows. So I assume that I would need to upgrade the panels if I wanted to upgrade to power locks/windows/mirrors?

I'll have to do a search on the intake tube, does the Bulldog kit require power locks? I did "upgrade" the lock on my toolbox with a BOLT lock (keyed to the truck ignition) since it didn't come with a key when I bought it.

Thanks for the input!
If your truck doesn't have a headliner, add one! The vanity mirrors and auto dimming mirror are a simple swap, they are attached to the same harness. All you need is to hook up power and ground to it.

The bulldog kit does require power locks. ​​​​​If you've got full manual doors, you'd be best off finding a set of complete XLT doors if you want power windows/locks/mirrors rather than converting yours. The 4.9 intake tube is a common mod, I think there are a few threads here about it.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:13 PM
95fiveoh
Elder User
I don't know about Ford, but I know on older Chevys there was an option for an under hood light on a reel with a switch on the reel.
My old Chevy had one of those reel lights. It was great, it could reach all the way to the back of the truck. Maybe I should add one to my Ford.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:23 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 949 Likes on 754 Posts
ow hard is the rear axle to swap? I have the 3.08 open diff, and there’s a 3.55 lsd at the pullapart...
If you can bleed brakes and use basic hand tools you're good to go.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:40 PM
bad_idea
Senior User
I took apart the switch and cleaned the contacts on the one I installed.
They use a mercury switch to turn the light on. Basically the Mercury moves one way when the hood opens and another when the hood closes. I don't know what part of the Mercury switch fails, but I can tell you its up inside the assembly and you won't know when it fails.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:13 PM
LSCRX
Tuned
Originally Posted by Conanski
If you can bleed brakes and use basic hand tools you're good to go.
i replaced the rear drums, shoes, and wheel cylinders a few months ago, so I should be good.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:31 PM
LSCRX
Tuned
They use a mercury switch to turn the light on. Basically the Mercury moves one way when the hood opens and another when the hood closes. I don't know what part of the Mercury switch fails, but I can tell you its up inside the assembly and you won't know when it fails.
I opened mine up and cleaned the contacts the best I could... so hopefully it won’t fail me.

Under hood light mercury switch

Old 07-02-2018, 09:11 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
Not much to add but I want to sub to this thread. I too am looking for a few tasteful OEM upgrades to my otherwise bone - stock '96.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory upgrades from the junkyard...