Sponsored by: DP Tuner

After Coolant Flush

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 09:05 PM
richlars
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After Coolant Flush

Just got my 7.3 all cleaned up, coolant flushed and about ready to install all of my new Mishimoto goodies. Before I do, how is the best way to make sure all of the garden hose flush water is out of the block? I am not new to coolant flushing but have always felt that there was a lot of remaining tap water in the block. With totally redoing the cooling system and using liquid chill, I want to make sure that I get it as pure as possible?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rich

Old 06-23-2018, 09:14 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Its always better to use distilled water than tap water to do a proper flush, specially if in your area theres above normal hard water.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:32 PM
richlars
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Its always better to use distilled water than tap water to do a proper flush, specially if in your area theres above normal hard water.
That does make sense, but its a bit late. Still, even with distilled water, It is difficult to get your mix right if you have water remaining in the block.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:33 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
You can still fill it with distilled and flush it once or twice. I wonder how much water is still in there.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:10 AM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
Post 2 has the procedure. There's always water left in the block. I never use tap water but I know some do. Our water here tarnishes bronze fixtures and I'm not about to put that in my block. 4 gallons concentrate then top off with distilled water.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/758512-7-3-coolant-flush.html

Old 06-24-2018, 10:19 PM
richlars
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by CousinCarl
Post 2 has the procedure. There's always water left in the block. I never use tap water but I know some do. Our water here tarnishes bronze fixtures and I'm not about to put that in my block. 4 gallons concentrate then top off with distilled water.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ant-flush.html
Thanks for the great link! Now I am wondering, I have everything in front of the engine removed. Would it be harmful in anyway to re-install the radiator and not the intercooler and run the engine just long enough to do a distilled water flush? The intercooler tubes are off so everything is gone in front of the turbo. Once all of this is done I have brand new Mishimoto Radiator, Intercooler and Transmission cooler to install. The old Transmission cooler and fluid is still in the truck.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:42 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
The only harm will be the unfiltered air that enters the engine.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:22 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
And be careful to not let anything else get sucked in while it's running. Why not just wait until you're in the final stage of reassembly?

Old 06-25-2018, 08:05 AM
richlars
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
And be careful to not let anything else get sucked in while it's running. Why not just wait until you're in the final stage of reassembly?
I got thinking the exact same thing as I pondered it last night.

Thanks for the help!
Rich

Old 06-25-2018, 08:12 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,851 Posts
Going to summarize, but the steps below are how I accomplished the coolant flush when going from green to red (ELC). This was especially important because my home is on well water.

1. Bought 40 gallons of distilled water
2. Drained coolant from radiator and block on driver side, removed the thermostat and replaced the water pump while I was at it
3. Filled radiator with distilled water and plumbed the degas bottle return line into an empty gallon jug on the floor
4. Turned truck on and let it idle in the garage while filling the degas bottle with fresh distilled water as "dirty" water was pushed into the empty gallon jugs from the degas return line
5. This took a while and I ran 35 gallons of distilled water through the engine

At the end I had 5 gallons of distilled to mix with the Rotella ELC concentrate from Tractor Supply. I installed the thermostat, drained the radiator of water, filled the radiator with ELC.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:49 AM
richlars
Mountain Pass
Thanks SOUS!!! I was possibly too much taken in by Mishimoto and bought their Liquid Chill to fill the new Mishimoto Radiator. I must have thought I had a lot of money and bought about everything Mishimoto offered for the 7.3. I don't see them mentioned much so I will have to report back on my findings. I was thinking of an IH water pump, but I am starting to feel the extents of my Mishimoto indulgences. Besides, the current water pump seems fine. A project for another day. But I am thinking of a coolant filter. Any recommendations? Where do they mount?

Thanks, Rich

Old 06-25-2018, 09:50 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Thoes Mishimoto parts are nice looking, but typically too much coin for my blood.

I went with the International water pump from Diesel Site as a kit. This was the first repair I had done to the truck right after buying it 4.5 years ago. It is a solid part and has the filter port. You can buy just the pump for a fraction of the cost and modify the boss on it to work just fine on our trucks.

Other than that, filters mounted near the radiator have worked for many years for other members.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:23 PM
GEugeneS
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CousinCarl

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ant-flush.html
Yep, I used the Gooch's flush procedure and it worked out exactly as they said! Of course, distilled water is the best, but expensive. So I used a tap water flush, then a deionized water flush, and last a distilled water flush as I remember it.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:55 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
You'd be surprised onbthe amount of water released when removing the plugs on the block

Old 06-26-2018, 11:10 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Shoot, I forgot to mention I did remove the plugs on the driver side of the block, just could not get to the passenger side though. Adding that into my notes from above for future reference.

Quick Reply: After Coolant Flush