1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Where to buy original colour paint for Magnus??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 11:28 AM
CelticOne
Regular User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Where to buy original colour paint for Magnus??

I am preparing to paint Magnus. Where would I be able to find paint that is close to or identical to the original colour? Is paint code "T" different in Canadian trucks than US trucks?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-19-2018, 11:42 AM
4x4slik
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1979 Color Codes - Ford Paint Cross-Reference - page 2 of 5 That gives you a cross to all major brands of paint. Or, should be able to take the ford code : M2008, to any paint supplier and get it mixed. The main thing is to buy all the paint you need at one time, as to have it the exact same color. Mixed paint can have minor differences from batch to batch.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:22 PM
CelticOne
Regular User
Originally Posted by 4x4slik
1979 Color Codes - Ford Paint Cross-Reference - page 2 of 5 That gives you a cross to all major brands of paint. Or, should be able to take the ford code : M2008, to any paint supplier and get it mixed. The main thing is to buy all the paint you need at one time, as to have it the exact same color. Mixed paint can have minor differences from batch to batch.
Thanks, Willie! How much paint and primer would be required for the job?

Old 06-20-2018, 07:37 AM
CelticOne
Regular User
Can anyone help me with quantity of paint/primer? Also need confirmation on whether the Canadian truck paint codes are different. It doesn't look like it in this case.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:03 AM
CelticOne
Regular User
I'm a little suprised at the lack of response here.

Where did you guys buy your paint? And how much did you use?

I got the answer from Bill (ND) on the paint code. Canadian code T = US code T = Candyapple Red.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:06 AM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Well...it's a pretty open question. Are you wanting to do single stage enamel like original or base/clear? My paint knowledge is a bit dated, it's been 10 years or so since I've painted a car. I used the DuPont chroma system which was a bit expensive but had a very nice clear. Looked very nice without a cut and buff. I believe you'll need at least a gallon of paint before reducing.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:47 AM
vtpkrat2
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I would suggest going to your local auto paint store and checking on a single stage color mix. That being, strictly the color sprayed coat after coat until good coverage is achieved. Two stage paint, being the color, then a clear over the color coat, has more components and probably for the inexperienced not the best way to go especially when you have metallics involved in the color . Painting is a tough deal at times to achieve professional results so my thoughts are go with simple. Good luck

Old 06-22-2018, 07:45 AM
CelticOne
Regular User
Thanks, guys. I have a friend who will do the actual painting. He isn't a professional but I am not expecting a perfect job. Just a nice refresh.

Our plans are to do base/clear coat. No mettallics, just a basic Candy Apple Red.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:36 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,089 Likes on 1,782 Posts
I will be painting my truck, 81 f100 flare side, but was thinking 1 gal of paint just for the red, candy apple also, with a white center. I will be painting the inside of the bed but not the floor, that will be bed lined.
My candy apple has a lot of clear so a lot of coats to get it covered.

I would say make sure you have dark color primer over the whole truck before painting as it will take less paint to cover it.
Also if you have say a dark fender and a light color primer on the door you can also get 2 different colors when done even if you put on 3 or 4 coats.
I am going with a single stage paint as that is what I edged the door jambs & under hood and inside the cab with. I did use the hardner.

Dave ----

Old 06-22-2018, 03:38 PM
McLeod
Cargo Master
Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
I have had several painters tell me that bc/cc (2 stage) is a much easier (forgiving) way to paint metallic and usually look much more consistant too.

Edit:
I just noticed that you said no metallic [dunce cap]

Old 06-22-2018, 07:29 PM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

ppg917561

Old 06-22-2018, 10:26 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
According to fordification.net Canadian paint codes were different... or at least were differentiated in books back then as it seems there was a separate sheet of Canadian paint codes. Don't expect that update coming soon tho, it's been like that for years lol

http://www.fordification.net/tech/vin_extpaint.htm

Edit* I'm sure ND will be along soon and set the record straight

Old 06-23-2018, 05:19 AM
vtpkrat2
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

" I have had several painters tell me that bc/cc (2 stage) is a much easier (forgiving) way to paint metallic and usually look much more consistant too."

Clear coats are a wonderful thing in the sense of the final top coat of paint, if there are any imperfections......which there will be ......,like dust /dirt/bug/paint run(s) ;you can block (sand) the imperfection then buff & polish to achieve a good finish. If you attempt this with a single stage metallic paint (no clear) it will remove and change the look of the metallics in that one spot. So, that is the "forgiving" part of clear coating. It looks "consistent" because of covering the entire color coat , thus kind of hiding edges,drier spots etc. in the base/color coat with the whole, clear coats of paint. It makes your eye harder to pick up anything.

Now,the reason that 2 stage, bc/cc is not recommended for the inexperienced is "mottling" of the metallics. A consistent color coat with metallics then clear coated, to soon,to heavy in coverage,not enough time between the clear coats, humidities,improper reducers.... on and on...can and will, at times "reflow" the metallic paint underneath.... sometimes in large patches, sometimes small places , ALL ruining the paint job. So,"easier" for an experienced painter and definitly not for a beginner with the many possible problems.

With all this said,a person could right literally VOLUMES on the rights and wrongs,the ins and outs of painting. There are only A thru' Z basics to follow with painting and a hundred variables that can and will come up at times.So many systems with all basic applications but so many differences !!!
And yes I know CelticOnes paint is a solid candy apple & not a metallic.