1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

First Restore

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 06:15 PM
neighbor443
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Restore

I received a 1953 Ford F100 that's been in the family. It has the original flatty and is in decent condition with pretty much only surface rust on cab (including floor) and some minor rust through at the bottom of some of the fenders. I've done some minor work on my own vehicles in the past (half-shaft, suspension/steering, starter, alternator, transmission rebuild, etc.) but never taken on a project like this. I would like to restore this as a driver. It hasn't been started in about 30 years (but apparently ran great then lol). I ordered some consumables like oil filter and sediment/fuel filter. I figured the priority would be to get it running then address each of the necessities for drivability as they become evident (already know brakes need to be redone and probably transmission/clutch too). Was looking at replacing the oil and fuel lines/filter and running out of a gas container until the tank can be inspected. I'll likely also put some mystery oil in the spark plug holes in preparation for the start attempt.

Any suggestions on some first items or strategies to keep in mind as I do this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:21 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! It sounds like you've found the perfect truck for a project. It also sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on what it takes to fire up the ancient beast from its long slumber. Fresh fluids, make sure the crank turns by hand freely and hope there's no stuck valves. Check your wiring connections and clean the grounds. The only other mandatory thing I can think of right off is to post pictures. We like pictures. And, keep us posted on your progress!

Old 06-14-2018, 09:14 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
It is obvious you’ll need a battery but keep in mind a 53 is 6v positive ground. Leave the Spark plugs out put the truck in neutral and crank the engine a bit after you change the oil to get oil circulated throughout the engine before trying to start. This will also let you know if the power train is frozen.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:20 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome Aboard Neighbor! We've got some members up in Wisconsin ..so you'll want to put your location
on your profile so folks can help you with local suppliers, etc. Good luck... personally I'd take a look and drop the oil pan
and pop off the valve covers if it's been sitting 30 years.

Good luck over there. Post a video if you go for starting it....

Ben in Austin (Born in Madison)
1950 F1

Old 06-15-2018, 02:53 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Hello Neighbor! Welcome to the neighborhood. If the truck has been sitting for an extended period, in addition to the suggestions already made, I would do a very careful inspection of every engine entry point to assure that it wasn't the happy home for a critter of some sort. Also, none of these beauties were parked while fully operational. It is always a safe assumption that there was a problem of some type that preceeded the long nap. And to second Ben's point, let us know were in the Badger state you are - we might be neighbors in real life as well.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:31 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 865 Likes on 421 Posts
Yet another Wisconsin greeting! I'm from the north central part of the state. Welcome and good luck with your project. My truck was last driven on the road in 1967 when I inherited it in 2012. We got it running and driving again without too much difficulty, but that was just the start of the journey.

Jim

Old 06-15-2018, 06:46 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pics! Please.
Sounds like a great project and i commend you on getting it up and running first. I did not and i regretted it for a long time.
Get it running (if possible), brakes, lights, etc and see what you've got. Can't wait to see it

Old 06-24-2018, 08:02 AM
neighbor443
New User
Update

I'm in the Madison area but working on this in Monroe (southcentral WI). I would be stoked to hook up with some good local resources. So far O'Reilly has been good for having many little parts in stock but had to order oil an gasket and belts.

We dropped the oil pan which was tough due to the oil pump and that axel/bar...but we got it out and clean. I also got the oil filter replaced and a temp fuel line hooked up (until we restore lines and tank). I also got a new fan belt and a new generator belt in too.

I think the engine is locked up. We tried turning the fan pulley bolt as well as push/drop the clutch to get it moving but no go yet. But I only put a capful of marvel in there. We put more in yesterday and I'll remove the plugs to help turn it over.

Here's the camshaft after a bit of cleaning.

And here's the truck as I received it.

I'm not great at taking pics but I'll try to remember to get more. Thanks for the encouragement and help so far.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:17 AM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts
Nice truck, looks in good shape. That engine must have sat a long time- sure is dry....

Old 06-24-2018, 09:19 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Awesome truck! Looks like your true barn find. I'm not so sure about that engine, though. I hope it's in better shape than it looks. To me, it appears it may have been run dry and got hot. That's some pretty serious discoloration on the crank and bottom end parts. (That is your crank, by the way, not the cam)

Here's the camshaft after a bit of cleaning.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:00 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hola Neighbor,
You are getting there.... good job getting the temp fuel line in place.
That is a crazy clean crankshaft.... what is the white thing in the lower left of the pic
under the teeth? Lot's of Marvel mystery oil ... where did you add it?

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 06-24-2018, 11:43 AM
neighbor443
New User
There was water in the oil so I sprayed the crankshaft with carbeurator cleaner to get the sludge off...but it is in great condition with nice cylinder walls.

The white stuff was a nest of some sort. I really don't know how anything got in there but I am sort of figuring on a tranny rebuild or at least cleanup anyway. We got most of it out but I think the bell housing will need to come off to get it all.

I just put marvel in through the spark plug holes. Is there another place I can put it to help free it up?

Last edited by neighbor443; 06-24-2018 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Info add
Old 06-24-2018, 11:50 AM
neighbor443
New User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Awesome truck! Looks like your true barn find. I'm not so sure about that engine, though. I hope it's in better shape than it looks. To me, it appears it may have been run dry and got hot. That's some pretty serious discoloration on the crank and bottom end parts. (That is your crank, by the way, not the cam)

I think that's from the carburetor cleaning...it had oil in it but was sludged up from 30 years so I quickly sprayed it down...I'll clean it better when I get further into the project.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:35 PM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by neighbor443
The white stuff was a nest of some sort. I really don't know how anything got in there but I am sort of figuring on a tranny rebuild or at least cleanup anyway. We got most of it out but I think the bell housing will need to come off to get it all.
Mouse house . . . You'll probably need to pull that clutch as the mice cause all kinds of corrosion with their urine.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:55 PM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
If your oil pan is still off try turning the motor using the flywheel teeth and a screwdriver .
Good luck to you I hope it frees up .

Quick Reply: First Restore