2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2018 Alignment issue after leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 07:07 PM
TRAINHORNMAN
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 Alignment issue after leveling kit

Hello everyone.
I recently had a truck shop install a Readylift 2.5 inch leveling kit, brand new 37's Toyos. As soon as I left it pulled to the right while driving. I took it back and had them realign it. They moved tires around thinking it could be the tread. He came back and said its the caster that is not aligning up. Few weeks later I had them install a Fox Dual Steering stabilizer thinking it might help. They realigned it and showed me the numbers again. Once again the caster is what the problem is. The owner said that sometimes when you lift a truck a certain way, it can happen.
For some reason I dont think this is true? He said they do not make a caster adjustment yet for the 2018's, however they would fix the issue?

Any advice?

Old 05-28-2018, 07:30 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1st, find a different shop. Then add caster with caster bushings. The top ball joint has an egg shaped bushing around it that is replaced for caster adjustment. Or use an adjustable bushing. Our axles are adjustable, just that regular shops don't know it.

Check to make sure the front axle is centered. Is it pulling when you let go of the steering wheel, or is the wheel just crooked?

We need a "Is there a competent alignment shop anywhere in the south" thread to list shops that have been through this already.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:22 PM
TRAINHORNMAN
Elder User
Originally Posted by Buliwyf
1st, find a different shop. Then add caster with caster bushings. The top ball joint has an egg shaped bushing around it that is replaced for caster adjustment. Or use an adjustable bushing. Our axles are adjustable, just that regular shops don't know it.

Check to make sure the front axle is centered. Is it pulling when you let go of the steering wheel, or is the wheel just crooked?

We need a "Is there a competent alignment shop anywhere in the south" thread to list shops that have been through this already.
I am going to do a little research about what you just mentioned. What baffles me is this guy does a TON of business. He has a 2017 f250 dually himself on springs.
When I let go of the wheel the truck drags right.

Is there a link you can show me what to purchase to allow for the caster to be adjusted ?

Old 05-28-2018, 08:51 PM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
Inability to find a competent alignment shop is my #1 reason to avoid any lift kits. I’ve had nothing but bad luck with alignments on a variety of cars, for my entire life. There seem to be millions of these places that claim alignment capability but in my experience, absolutely none that can make a vehicle track straight and not wear the tires funny. Every time I’ve had a car aligned, it comes out worse than when I brought it in. Every single time. And I’m not alone in this. It may be that the South Carolina public schools have a deficit in geometry standards? I can only guess. I remember taking a mustang to a shop one time that was supposed to be better than average in the area. I had recently installed new shocks and springs and I wanted to speak to the tech about what the caster and camber was because I might get caster/camber plates later if he couldn’t get it in range. His eyes quickly glazed over, his face was emotionless, and the cigarette he was smoking dangled from his lower lip. After not getting a response for 10-20 seconds, I said “alright...” and just walked away. When I got the car back, I had to hold the steering wheel 90 degrees to the right to go straight. I brought it back in and the manager told me I must have “spooked” the tech. I learned then that you can’t talk about caster, camber, or toe with an alignment tech. It’s right or wrong and that’s all you need to know. Although right is almost always wrong, and wrong is just wronger. Ok enough of that. Good luck to you!

Old 05-28-2018, 09:25 PM
COTTS4x4
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Look up spcalignment.com and search part number 23269 - I was told this is the bushings you need, I believe I got the info from Hackenbush.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:35 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, looks like this. Nice ones have the adjustments measured. Remember that's how much more it adjusts. Your axle may, or may not be perfectly straight. So if you have a +1, and need 2 degrees more, you need a +3.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:35 PM
SCfire
Freshman User
Dealing with this same same issue as you right now. My issue is definitely with the alignment and not with an off center steering wheel. Installed the exact same setup and tires last week. I ordered the bushings. They sohould be here by Thursday and I’m going to get them installed. I’m in South Carolina, if anyone has any advice on where to go for my alignment, please let me know. Good looking setup you went with.

Originally Posted by TRAINHORNMAN
Hello everyone.
I recently had a truck shop install a Readylift 2.5 inch leveling kit, brand new 37's Toyos. As soon as I left it pulled to the right while driving. I took it back and had them realign it. They moved tires around thinking it could be the tread. He came back and said its the caster that is not aligning up. Few weeks later I had them install a Fox Dual Steering stabilizer thinking it might help. They realigned it and showed me the numbers again. Once again the caster is what the problem is. The owner said that sometimes when you lift a truck a certain way, it can happen.
For some reason I dont think this is true? He said they do not make a caster adjustment yet for the 2018's, however they would fix the issue?

Any advice?

Old 05-29-2018, 07:38 AM
kylant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 109 Likes on 91 Posts
toyo MTs also have a right pull. very well documented

Old 05-29-2018, 10:10 AM
surlynkid
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did the lift also adjust the panhard bar, or is your axle off center. If you lift it, you have to adjust for that. a 2" list can make an axle off-center by 3/8".

Old 05-29-2018, 11:08 AM
SCfire
Freshman User
For what it is worth, I talked to Toyo. I was informed on stock 20” rims we should be running 44 min 53 max psi. She also said if it is still pulling that they will replace up to 2 tires. She also said these tires are not in spec for stock rim width, they like to have 8.5 min. She mentioned that the pull to the right is common on some vehicles, but not on the f250’s which I know is not true based on this forum. If you buy online, such as myself, be aware that you are not eligible for their trial program.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:34 AM
brendanlush
Cross-Country
Also dealing with the same issue with the 3.5" Readylift kit. Its been at Ford going on 5 days now and they still can't figure it out.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:37 AM
Cornbred
Senior User
Keep reading about alignment issues so I added the timbren front SES because of the winch and went with 295/70/18’s...left the suspension alone. I’ve gone back and forth trying to decide if I wanted a leveling kit, figured theses trucks sit high enough.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:35 PM
ymsmiley
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm hoping I have the opposite problem. My F250 pulled to the right since I drove it off the lot. They adjusted the caster to L=3.7 and R=4.3, cross-rotated the tires and rotors and its pretty close to dialed in now. Though I just bought it 4 weeks ago and about to install a 2.5 Carli level but a little concerned I'm going to be dealing with pulling issues again

Old 05-29-2018, 11:26 PM
TRAINHORNMAN
Elder User
Originally Posted by SCfire
Dealing with this same same issue as you right now. My issue is definitely with the alignment and not with an off center steering wheel. Installed the exact same setup and tires last week. I ordered the bushings. They sohould be here by Thursday and I’m going to get them installed. I’m in South Carolina, if anyone has any advice on where to go for my alignment, please let me know. Good looking setup you went with.
Let me know how it goes!

Originally Posted by kylant
toyo MTs also have a right pull. very well documented
I am just learning about this. Had them on my GMC last and they never had problems. I only had them for about 5000 miles before I bought my F250.

Originally Posted by surlynkid
Did the lift also adjust the panhard bar, or is your axle off center. If you lift it, you have to adjust for that. a 2" list can make an axle off-center by 3/8".
I am not sure to be honest. I know I bought the Drop arm Bracket? I gotta do a little more research before I pull the trigger on the adjustable casters.

Originally Posted by SCfire
For what it is worth, I talked to Toyo. I was informed on stock 20” rims we should be running 44 min 53 max psi. She also said if it is still pulling that they will replace up to 2 tires. She also said these tires are not in spec for stock rim width, they like to have 8.5 min. She mentioned that the pull to the right is common on some vehicles, but not on the f250’s which I know is not true based on this forum. If you buy online, such as myself, be aware that you are not eligible for their trial program.
Interesting, I did buy the tires from a shop down here that did the alignment. They say they are one of the biggest purchasers of TOYO. 53 dosent sound low? I believe my rims are a 9 or 10 wide. Have to look up the specs again. I am going to try the adjust casters and see what happens first.

Originally Posted by brendanlush
Also dealing with the same issue with the 3.5" Readylift kit. Its been at Ford going on 5 days now and they still can't figure it out.
good luck!
Originally Posted by Cornbred
Keep reading about alignment issues so I added the timbren front SES because of the winch and went with 295/70/18’s...left the suspension alone. I’ve gone back and forth trying to decide if I wanted a leveling kit, figured theses trucks sit high enough.
If i didnt use my truck for work, id have a 12 inch lift lol. I love them high. I used to have a 12 inch of my 99 F250.

Originally Posted by ymsmiley
I'm hoping I have the opposite problem. My F250 pulled to the right since I drove it off the lot. They adjusted the caster to L=3.7 and R=4.3, cross-rotated the tires and rotors and its pretty close to dialed in now. Though I just bought it 4 weeks ago and about to install a 2.5 Carli level but a little concerned I'm going to be dealing with pulling issues again
They adjusted factory casters?

HERE IS THE SHEET THEY GAVE ME..... Does this help determine the numbers that I need for the adjustable casters?

Old 05-29-2018, 11:46 PM
dkllw1
Freshman User
I wonder if i should wait just purchased my 37 tires and readylift 2.5 kit with coilspring and bilstein shocks on the way. you got me worried.

Quick Reply: 2018 Alignment issue after leveling kit