1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To lift or not to lift...that is the question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 01:34 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
To lift or not to lift...that is the question?

So installed the 35's last night and I was gonna install the 4" lift but I'm getting second thoughts now after seeing it. Truck is running pro comp 2.5" level springs (designed for the v10/diesel trucks) so it might be a tad higher in the front compared to other level springs becase I have the 5.4 motor. Rear is stock except I added a custom long add a leaf years ago but if I remember correctly it wasn't arched much so it kept the truck stock height but added payload? As of right now the tires just nip the lower bumper valance (careful trim will fix that) and it looks good to me (and everyone else who's seen it today making errands). Truck has nice wheel well gap not too little not too big...but I've always loved the look of a super duty running 4" and 35's! And I'm not gonna lie it is crazy hot out today and I'm not looking forward to spending six hours installing the 4" lift, getting soft in my old age of 35

Old 05-26-2018, 01:58 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Old 05-26-2018, 02:22 PM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
If you are tired at 35 can you imagine 65?? I had a '04 with a 4" lift and it was kicking my rear getting in and out of it all day long. Your truck looks great the way is stands right now. If there are no clearance issues I would suggest leaving it. Those tires fill the wheel well with the right amount of proportion now. It looks good!

Old 05-26-2018, 02:24 PM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think it looks good I was going to tell you to lift it till I saw the pictures. If the wheels were any wider and had more negative offset you would have to lift it more but I would have a hard time doing it if I was you to. The only thing that sucks now besides trying to decide if you want to do it is you already bought the lift kit. What size wheels did you end up going with look like 16's? I trimmed my air damn at an angle instead of cutting it straight I think it looks better I'll get a picture if you want.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:32 PM
Yoteman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it were me, I’d put the 4” lift in there. It’ll look even better. My 04 crew will be sitting on 5.5” and 35’s very soon.

what width and offset are your wheels?

Old 05-26-2018, 03:39 PM
Sir Kayakalot
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
35 years old? Pffftt. Now get out there and put that lift on and as soon as it's done put those 35s on Craigslist and get some proper 37s. Then post pics. But seriously, it looks really good. I like your wheel choice as I am a fan of lotsa sidewall.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:36 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
So fellows this is what I did, I took a ride to this little abounded pit a few miles from me. Just small sand hills really, first small rut and the truck flexed out I turned slightly and you hear THUD THUD THUD. I stop and jump out the tire caught the backside in front on the door inner fender...luckily it snapped the three plastic push pins instead of bending sheetmetal or possibly cracking the inner fender. So I went super slow turned to the right and it did the exact same thing on the passenger side. So if I strictly NEVER go offroad it would have been fine, becase I drove around all day today and didn't rub at all turning into places. But since I do go off road ever once in a while, I haul logs out of the woods for burning during the winter, and I ride dirtbikes where we go into remote pits where I have to climb the truck over hills and such the lift is going on! Sucks becase I really did like the look, wasn't too much or too little. I guess I could have tried the wiretie option some on here have done but I didn't even really flex the truck hard, I had plenty of travel left in the suspension to push it but the tire would have done some major ripping of the inner fender. Hopefully with the 4" lift it wont be a hideous amount of space in the wheel wells and look awful

Old 05-26-2018, 05:37 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Wheels are 16x10 with 4.5" backspace, ProComp 1069

Old 05-26-2018, 05:47 PM
Yoteman
Senior User
I don’t think there will be too much space once lifted. I’ve seen several of these trucks with 6” lift and 35’s and think they still look great. The added clearance will definitely help your off-road abilities.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:49 PM
Yoteman
Senior User
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
Wheels are 16x10 with 4.5" backspace, ProComp 1069
cool thanks. I am planning to go with same size and style of wheels with 4” back space. So was just curious what these were. I, too, like more tire and less wheel. I hate the huge wheel look.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:59 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Yes I can not stand these new trend of 24" wheels with low profile 35, or 37's. And then the 16" wide wheel running 12.5 wide tires....I'm young but I'm classic in styling LOL. LOVE my 15 and 16" wheels with healthy fat sidewall tires, and classic 8 hole wheels LOL All my buddies were like dude that's so outdated you need 20's powdercoated black blah blah Well my style is mounted and I think the truck looks BADA$$ I have to detail her becase of all the freaking pollen but shes still one sexy truck for a old 2004

Old 05-26-2018, 06:23 PM
Yoteman
Senior User
Mine’s an 04 as well - crew cab f250. I like black wheels the best but I do like the polished look on yours. Seeing these wheels on your truck is kinda pushing me to the polished instead if the black. But my truck is grey and I also think the black wheel/grey truck combo is sweet. But then I start thinking of all the polished wheels I’ve installed on my jeeps over the years snd how they started looking like crap where as s black wheel pretty much always looks the same.
If ya can’t tell, I’m really fighting this black/polished decision really bad lol. But I’ve got s month to decide still. If I do go black, it’ll be the exact wheels on your truck, just in black. I love the slotted wheels.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:30 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
I had eagle alloys 058 on my 1997 F250 heavy duty and back then I just used Mother Mag Polish and old tshirts. Once a month I'd park under a tree in the back yard, drink a beer and polish away. They never pitted or tarnished and I'm in the northeast where they salt like crazy during winter. Had that setup for three years before I regrettably sold her for the 2004 F350. Basically if I polish them once ever two months (now with a power ball) i shouldn't have any issues. BUT if I do I bought a 4 year warranty through 4wheelparts kn both the wheels and tires. If they pit or tarnish I'll call up and get them replaced for free

Old 05-26-2018, 06:50 PM
Sir Kayakalot
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So fellows this is what I did, I took a ride to this little abounded pit a few miles from me. Just small sand hills really, first small rut and the truck flexed out I turned slightly and you hear THUD THUD THUD. I stop and jump out the tire caught the backside in front on the door inner fender...luckily it snapped the three plastic push pins instead of bending sheetmetal or possibly cracking the inner fender. So I went super slow turned to the right and it did the exact same thing on the passenger side. So if I strictly NEVER go offroad it would have been fine, becase I drove around all day today and didn't rub at all turning into places. But since I do go off road ever once in a while, I haul logs out of the woods for burning during the winter, and I ride dirtbikes where we go into remote pits where I have to climb the truck over hills and such the lift is going on! Sucks becase I really did like the look, wasn't too much or too little. I guess I could have tried the wiretie option some on here have done but I didn't even really flex the truck hard, I had plenty of travel left in the suspension to push it but the tire would have done some major ripping of the inner fender. Hopefully with the 4" lift it wont be a hideous amount of space in the wheel wells and look awful
Finally someone admitting the truth!!!! You can run big tires all day long without much lift, but in the end, if you off-road your truck at all you better have enough lift for those big tires to move around without rubbing. This is exactly why I went with a 6" lift for 37s. I've been told more than once that I didn't need 6" of lift for 37s.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:32 PM
Yoteman
Senior User
I had eagle alloys 058 on my 1997 F250 heavy duty and back then I just used Mother Mag Polish and old tshirts. Once a month I'd park under a tree in the back yard, drink a beer and polish away. They never pitted or tarnished and I'm in the northeast where they salt like crazy during winter. Had that setup for three years before I regrettably sold her for the 2004 F350. Basically if I polish them once ever two months (now with a power ball) i shouldn't have any issues. BUT if I do I bought a 4 year warranty through 4wheelparts kn both the wheels and tires. If they pit or tarnish I'll call up and get them replaced for free
”a beer”!?!? I’d polish off two beers per wheel while i was polishing the 4 wheels. Lol

Yeah Im sure I could keep them nice with some effort but man, three kids, a business, tons of equipment maintenance, and my home, takes the majority of my time. If i could get the black slotted wheels with a 4” back spacing, it’d be an easy decision for me but they only come with 4.5” bs. The polished are 4” which is what i really want so, I’m considering hard about purchasing those and if I regret it, I’ve got a good friend who can powder coat them for me for material cost.
But my brother in law also told me recently that he can have a set of custom wheels made for me for free from one of the big wheel companies that gives him free wheels in exchange for all the photo shoots they do of his various cars. So may end up seeing what he can do.

Quick Reply: To lift or not to lift...that is the question?