2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Platinums - what’s different other than colors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 09:40 PM
Section179
Fleet Mechanic
Received 160 Likes on 88 Posts
Platinums - what’s different other than colors?

I have a personal disdain for the tailgate appliqué and desire for magnetic paint and black leather, so I’ve ordered a lariat with the ultimate package and all options minus the sunroof. In a recent conversation, a dealer insisted that the platinums were just “more premium” - higher quality leather, better sound proofing, and more attention to detail in the build.

Is any of this more than nonsense? I don’t feel the need for messaging seats, and I’d have to get the sunroof to get lane assist in the platinum (really don’t want a sunroof). My build prices are pretty close.

should I get a platinum and replace the tailgate? What will I be missing out on?

fyi king ranch is no bueno - can’t get magnetic paint.

thanks!

Old 05-22-2018, 09:48 PM
355spider
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think for the most part it just comes standard with most options like electronic gaskets, cameras, adaptive steering etc.. It's probably debatable as to whether the leather is actually better.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:54 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
See the attached PDF for all of the trim levels in the 18MY. The only things that have changed for the 19MY is a color is dropped, B&O stereo system instead of Sony, and the added capability of Ford Pass.

The sunroof is not tied to anything unless that is how the dealer ordered them. I have a Platinum on the way without a sunroof. The "attention to detail" thing is BS, I have seen where some have posted the leather is indeed different and the little bit of wood on the door is a different species. Between the PDF attached and you spending a bit of time building a truck online at Ford.com you should know what is available. As far as what the dealer put together on their lot orders well, I don't have anything to say about that.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
3196_001 (1).pdf (872.5 KB, 108 views)
Old 05-22-2018, 09:54 PM
rashers
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Ford build site or the PDFs knocking around here for 2019s will show you the exact differences with Platinum. And you won't see anything about leather, sound proofing or attention to detail. That is such utter BS, but salespeople will be salespeople and make stuff up.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:06 PM
Section179
Fleet Mechanic

Thanks for the assurances. I think I’ll stick with my Lariat with all options as planned.

toy - one discrepancy. There is no tow tech package available on the platinum. The only way to get lane departure and rain sensing wipers is with the ultimate package, which includes the sunroof. Weird, but I think you’ll conclude the same.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:10 PM
Section179
Fleet Mechanic
I take it back. I think those features are standard on platinum, and the ford helper doesn’t understand.

toymaster - your response and including the order guide was super helpful.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:10 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
^^^^^^^ Uh, No, The salesman or salesperson is wrong. Go through the PDF and options you can build online and you will know. If not, it is the blind leading the blind. If the people at the dealership were smart enough to do better in life they would not be working at a car dealership.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:11 PM
Cohlmeyer
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The lariat ultimate package is pretty loaded out, you won’t be disappointed. I went with it because I wanted the Oxford white rather than thincoat platinum white. It’s hard to imagine they have anything more.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:19 PM
B3205
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know you are already putting down quite a bit of $ for these trucks in the first place, but I’m just throwing out the suggestion of vinyl wrapping (we paid $100 on our ‘15 F150 Platinum tailgate badge) or painting (paid $200 for our f250 badge).

Old 05-22-2018, 10:19 PM
Section179
Fleet Mechanic
All points taken. Now that toymaster set me straight on my key hang up with the platinum it’s clear I can get what I want with either truck. My equivalent build prices are $2k apart with desired wheels and options, $1k if you add in the chrome package to the lariat, which doesn’t do anything for me.

That leaves the only discernible differences (under a loaded out lariat):
multi-contour/massaging seats
Painted bumpers
platinum grill
Appliqué (disdained)
Plus imaginary “premiumness” and any potential benefit to resale value

Ps thanks for sharing pics of your painted and wrapped appliqués! Much improved!

Last edited by Section179; 05-22-2018 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 05-23-2018, 12:06 AM
cdnfireman
Senior User
When I was looking, I found the seats in the king ranch and platinum to be more comfortable and the leather was better quality (thicker) and the construction and stitching seemed to be better quality. I didn’t find the leather seats in the lariat to be as comfortable as the higher trim models. And I really like the triple lumbar adjustments on my platinum seats. Not sure that’s available on the lariat.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:43 AM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
With six trim levels this year there are a lot of choices to make. It seems to me with the lariat, KR, Plat, and limited you are choosing the exterior look you want and then can add about any option you want to the inside. Ford has put most of the options in the "ultimate" package that basically bumps the truck to the next higher trim level on the inside but all options are available a la carte. Also, the prices seem to be the same between the packages and individually selected options. For me I don't mind spending money but I have to justify the cost to myself so I took the time to break down the options/prices/package and trim differences to see if there were any holes in the system, there ain't.

I'm not a chrome guy but the KR was not an option for me, I have this thing with tejas or as I call it norte mexico (F' texas) and I did not want the sunroof so no limited for me but I do like the brush aluminum look the limited offers on the exterior. I'm pretty sure I'll be one of those guys that deletes most of the chrome but keep the aluminum pieces.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:20 AM
Deadbuck
Mountain Pass
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
I had a 2017 lariat and just traded in on a 2018 platinum. Leather is finer quality. Seats are more comfortable. I got magnetic grey and 3 days after pickup I pulled all the chrome to get painted.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:34 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
I got a Platinum just so I could say.....Bra....I'm rollin' a Platty......

Old 05-23-2018, 12:38 PM
Deadbuck
Mountain Pass
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
And that lmao

Quick Reply: Platinums - what’s different other than colors?