Is a steel bed really the best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 05:41 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
Is a steel bed really the best?

What's the Best 3/4-Ton Work Truck for 2017? - PickupTrucks.com News

The point of this post is to bring to light the Chevy portion of the testing of the four trucks. On the Chevy, the front wall of the bed literally caved in under the weight of the sand. I believe the Ford bed is aluminum.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:23 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Personally I think it was a mistake for Ford to put an Aluminum bed on a truck. I realize their goal was to reduce the weight but for those using their trucks for hauling rocks, sand, bricks etc: I believe a steel bed would hold up better and longer. I doubt there are many prospective buyers that are going to buy a truck with a bed that's beat up. IMHO

Old 05-18-2018, 09:58 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see trucks with steel beds beat to **** all the time. I dunno, I don't think the aluminum is that much different especially when you add a bedliner.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:18 AM
storage_man
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually I don't think anybody cares anymore what the bed is made of. For personal use, most people utilize a bed liner. Over the years I have, because I would haul my own sand and gravel for projects that I had around the house. The deal is it makes no difference if you have a liner or not, after heavy use, they will all be scratched and dented. Now for contractor I believe its a different story. I have a friend that owns a small construction company. He has 6 1/2 ton's and 1 3/4 ton. They use the 1/2 tons most of the time to haul, lumber, tools etc. When a job requires hauling of demo'd material or sand, gravel or brick/block, he has a large dual axle dump trailer. It is pulled by the 3/4 ton truck. His chevy 2500 bed was nicer looking than my old 3/4 truck.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:47 AM
Lebowskii
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ghunt
I don't think the aluminum is that much different especially when you add a bedliner.
I agree with that. I got the dealer to include a free bedliner when I bought the truck and there was no damage to the bed after hauling 3+ tons of dirt in it. The guy loaded it with a Bobcat and dropped it in there gently and of course it was overloaded but I took it easy on the two mile drive home and I had it unloaded by the next afternoon....

Old 05-18-2018, 11:28 AM
Midnightmoon
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The number one reason that I now have a Ford is for the Aluminum body. I probably would not have moved away from Ram if the Ford was still being made if steel.

Those of us living in the salt belt areas of the county welcome Ford's attempt at the Aluminum body with the hopes that it somehow will hold up better to the road salt and other chemicals that the steel bodies have. I simply am unable to wear a truck out around here before it rusts away to nothing. So, I'll gladly welcome the Aluminum in the hopes that somehow it will be better long term.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:41 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon
The number on reason that I now have a Ford is for the Aluminum body. I probably would not have moved away from Ram if the Ford was still being made if steel.

Those of us living in the salt belt areas of the county welcome Ford's attempt at the Aluminum body with the hopes that it somehow will hold up better to the road salt and other chemicals that the steel bodies have. I simply am unable to wear a truck out around here before it rusts away to nothing. So, I'll gladly welcome the Aluminum in the hopes that somehow it will be better long term.
We're talking specifically about the bed and what beating it can get depending on what is put in it.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:58 AM
Midnightmoon
Tuned
Originally Posted by shortride
We're talking specifically about the bed and what beating it can get depending on what is put in it.
So am I. You could have loaded my Rams with feathers over their lifetime and there still would be nothing left of them. My point is that the amount of a beating that a bed can take long term is pointless if the bed rots away and is unusable.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:25 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
So am I. You could have loaded my Rams with feathers over their lifetime and there still would be nothing left of them. My point is that the amount of a beating that a bed can take long term is pointless if the bed rots away and is unusable.
Good point.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:42 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Not to be argumentative but isn't part of maintaining a truck keeping the bed clean and repaint if and when the need arises? At least that's what we used to do when it needed it. We didn't just drive it until it fell apart. That's why we have the various types of bed liners.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:03 AM
Midnightmoon
Tuned
Not to be argumentative but isn't part of maintaining a truck keeping the bed clean and repaint if and when the need arises? At least that's what we used to do when it needed it. We didn't just drive it until it fell apart. That's why we have the various types of bed liners.
Absolutely. That's part of my regular routine. But, for example, my 3/4 tons that have salt spreaders in the bed are a lost cause. No matter how many times you clean them out, the bed floors go within 5-6 years. It delays it, but doesn't solve it.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:29 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Personally I think it was a mistake for Ford to put an Aluminum bed on a truck. I realize their goal was to reduce the weight but for those using their trucks for hauling rocks, sand, bricks etc: I believe a steel bed would hold up better and longer. I doubt there are many prospective buyers that are going to buy a truck with a bed that's beat up. IMHO
I don`t think the material of the bed matters because almost 100% of people are going to have some type of liner covering the bed anyway.

Regardless if it`s steel or aluminum, without some kind of protection and if it`s used in the way that you mentioned, both will be dented, scratched, and just overall beaten up.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:16 PM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
The beds on all my trucks have rusted from underneath, not above. Liner/no liner, or the type of liner makes no difference. Should I pull the bed and repaint the underneath periodically? How about the frame, the fuel tank, the brake lines, the trans cooler lines, the PS lines, the radiator support, the axle housing itself, brake components, the cab, the bumpers? You folks who suggest that cleaning is the answer - in the most sincere way, I have no doubt - have no idea what salt belt rust is and what it does to a vehicle.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:33 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
The next GM boondoggle will be the best... carbon fiber. Yeah, right. CF isn't meant to show its strength in the type of application GM intends to use it for. After a year or three of warranty calls and disgruntled customers, it will fade away, and then you'll see GM praise their all new aluminum bed as "the best".
What manufacturers need to do is make the bed floor independently replaceable, regardless of weight. I don't see the bed sides inside rotting, but the floors and at the tailgate.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:36 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NewEnglandHerdsman
The beds on all my trucks have rusted from underneath, not above. Liner/no liner, or the type of liner makes no difference. Should I pull the bed and repaint the underneath periodically? How about the frame, the fuel tank, the brake lines, the trans cooler lines, the PS lines, the radiator support, the axle housing itself, brake components, the cab, the bumpers? You folks who suggest that cleaning is the answer - in the most sincere way, I have no doubt - have no idea what salt belt rust is and what it does to a vehicle.
On my old Ranger, the bed was perfect, didn't even have rust in the wheel arches like 90% of trucks around here do (which was impressive for a 9 year old truck with 180K on it), except for one area- the bed floor, directly over where the factory muffler sat, had SERIOUS rust, especially in the front crossmember. There was a heat shield over the muffler but it was way too small. It all looked like it was all heat-accelerated oxidation. It was bad enough that the bed floor was starting to rust through from underneath in that area.

Quick Reply: Is a steel bed really the best?