Old 05-01-2018, 08:18 PM
yzf450motoxrider
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
7.3 intermittent stall NOT CPS

2001 Ford Excursion
Mileage: 236000

Symptoms:

intermittent stall only at idle and almost always when hot. It did stall right after it started once cold. Also made larger than normal cloud of blue smoke
puff of blue smoke on start up when under 50 seems to have gotten worse over the past year i don't run it in the winter so I'm not sure how it would start below 25 degrees

Checked:
Fuel pressure good
No oil in fuel bowl
CPS has been replaced
ICP is fairly new

Buzz Test: PASSED injectors sounded fine 8 may have sounded slightly week but couldn't really tell.
Cylinder Contribution Test: Failed Cyl 3 and 8 EOT 90 degrees. Checked PERDEL and Cyl 3 was 3% Cyl8 was 5-6% at EOT 140 degrees i red this could be due to grey CPS

Here is some live data from autoenginuity
All data below was taken with foot off the accelerator pedal at idle.

Stall below Ran poorly until it stalled

Runs Bad

I don't have the data but should note at WOT icp=2800 duty cycle=40%. Because of this definently not HPOP and I'm thinking ipr is unlikely.
I believe this is being caused by the injector orings especially because of the blue cloud of smoke on cold start which has gotten worse over the past year as well as the intermittent stall. Im going to be tearing into the engine this weekend. Would really hate to replace the orings only to find out the ipr was the issue.

What do you guys think? Injector Orings? or IPR?

Thanks.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:17 PM
yzf450motoxrider
Cross-Country
Figured id give an update. Got the injectors out. The orings looked ok to fuel side rings were damaged but that wouldn't explain the oil pressure loss. I decided since my compressor wheel has damage i would run a compression test. ranged from 340 to 360 at engine oil temp of 100 which is good enough for me so i sent the injectors out to be rebuilt.I also ordered a new ipr valve since the injector orings didn't look to bad i figured that's the next place to look. Waiting on parts now.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:30 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Sorry I missed your original thread.

Compression is great, your ICP is problematic.

Since you pulled the plug and went with the inj rebuild, we'll find out when you get it buttoned up.

Everything is OEM correct?

Denny

Old 05-08-2018, 10:16 PM
yzf450motoxrider
Cross-Country
Yes all oem the icp sensor was replaced about 2 years ago and the sensor looks good. I also got glow plugs cover gaskets and harnesses since I’m in there and there all original. To me it really seems like this is an oil pressure issue not electrical

Old 05-11-2018, 08:05 PM
yzf450motoxrider
Cross-Country

Pics of the injector bores. What should I clean them with before reinstalling the injectors

Old 05-21-2018, 01:45 PM
yzf450motoxrider
Cross-Country
I got the injectors back in vacuumed the cylinders and when I went to jump the soliniod to turn I gone over I hear a loud bang and oil shot out of the number seven cylinder glow plug hole. I have since turned it over by hand and it seems fine. Could this have caused engine damage. I also get white vapor out of that hole I assume since there was more fluid in it.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:08 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If that hole was under enough pressure I would make sure that you did not damage the seal on the cup.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:54 PM
yzf450motoxrider
Cross-Country
Well I got a chance to investigate. Cranked the engine over another 20 30 times and the vapor has finnaly dissipated. I also checked compression it was 410 so no valve damage compared to around 350 before this is due to the excess oil in the cylinder. I think I’m good

Old 05-21-2018, 05:55 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Did you check your HPOP oil reservoir to see oil? If it's full, you might have a bad HPOP. If it's empty maybe low pressure pump. You'll know if you put a new IPR in and it starts.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:10 PM
yzf450motoxrider
Cross-Country
Update: HPOP is full. Truck is back together I've put about 110 miles on it. Runs very smooth. Checked perdel, buzz test all good. No smoke of any kind. no fuel in coolant. Everything checks out great.

Replaced Parts:
New IPR
New IPR pigtail (Old one completely shot i believe this was the actual problem. terminals where lose and bare wire showing)
New glow plugs
New Valve Covers
New Injector harnesses
Rebuilt Injectors

It hasn't stalled yet but time will tell. However i have two new problems. I now have an intermittent injector knock when idling engine hot Everything checks out great not sure why its knocking. 2nd problem happened twice so far when stepping on the gas from stop it accelerates slower than normal to about 1500 rpm then u hear the turbo spool up and it takes off very fast. Any Suggestions? If anyone has a injector breakout box they would be willing to rent that would be awesome.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:54 PM
yzf450motoxrider
Cross-Country
I took it out for a short drive again hesitated 3 more times. hits 1500 rpm then its like something is choking it for a few seconds then it'll go. between that issue and the injector clatter I'm thinking possibly low fuel pressure?

Old 06-08-2018, 03:49 PM
yzf450motoxrider
Cross-Country
Update:
Replaced Fuel pump and fuel filter and checked fuel pressure at idle 66psi wot 63psi. Hooked up the computer again showed engine wasn't building icp pressure properly. Checked ipr valve and solenoid was ever so slightly loose tightened it up cleared code and so far everything seems ok. I have run it for about 80 miles no more stumbling or stalling. Also the injector knock seems to have mostly disappeared. It fades in and out at idle occasionally definitely not as loud as before. So at this point i believe the issues have been resolved.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:26 PM
yzf450motoxrider
Cross-Country
All is not well with the excursion i fixed the stalling/stumbling. However i now have a new issue. Under acceleration from a stop the truck hiccups (intermittent). The rpm drops to about 500 for a split second then shoots up. I put the computer on it and here's what i got. Always happens when you put truck under load in the case below switching from park to drive.

My thoughts. The rpms drop before anything else happens. Since the rpm dropped to 480 then the icp pressure jumped to 1084 I'm thinking either one or more injectors is not firing. This would restrict the oil flow in the whole system and drive up the pressure. I have already checked the valve cover gasket pigtails on the outside of the covers seemed fine. Is this a reasonable assumption? Could the 42 pin connector cause this? Please anyone with experience with this chime in.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:24 PM
yzf450motoxrider
Cross-Country
update:

Truck died completely today shifting from park to drive went about 5 feet and died. i put it in park started no problems. I tried to replicate with the computer on but couldn't. Front and Rear ac was on would that be enough to stall out the engine if it were running on 4 cyl? the other odd thing is it only does it under load.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:59 PM
yzf450motoxrider
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by yzf450motoxrider
All is not well with the excursion i fixed the stalling/stumbling. However i now have a new issue. Under acceleration from a stop the truck hiccups (intermittent). The rpm drops to about 500 for a split second then shoots up. I put the computer on it and here's what i got. Always happens when you put truck under load in the case below switching from park to drive.

My thoughts. The rpms drop before anything else happens. Since the rpm dropped to 480 then the icp pressure jumped to 1084 I'm thinking either one or more injectors is not firing. This would restrict the oil flow in the whole system and drive up the pressure. I have already checked the valve cover gasket pigtails on the outside of the covers seemed fine. Is this a reasonable assumption? Could the 42 pin connector cause this? Please anyone with experience with this chime in.
any suggestions? still having this issue. Thanks

Quick Reply: 7.3 intermittent stall NOT CPS