Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

So what are you guys running for aftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 07:59 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what are you guys running for aftermarket exhaust

I feel like the only thing this truck needs is a little more volume. Been looking at some aftermarket cat backs but damn they are expensive.

I want something with some rumble but not too loud, as I want to be able to let my truck warm up outside on cold mornings.

Also if you guys have done cat backs that remove the factory resonator, does that affect the noise inside significantly?

Old 04-30-2018, 09:28 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by ghunt
I feel like the only thing this truck needs is a little more volume. Been looking at some aftermarket cat backs but damn they are expensive.

I want something with some rumble but not too loud, as I want to be able to let my truck warm up outside on cold mornings.

Also if you guys have done cat backs that remove the factory resonator, does that affect the noise inside significantly?
Borla Touring with the side exhaust just like stock is what I have on my 2016 Lariat 5.0

Very high quality, a little deeper sounding and just a tad bit more volume than stock at idle, and it will not disturb your neighbors. It does wake up when you really get on the gas and it has zero drone while cruising.

Just a nice deep and smooth sounding exhaust.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:15 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by GABAR
Borla Touring with the side exhaust just like stock is what I have on my 2016 Lariat 5.0

Very high quality, a little deeper sounding and just a tad bit more volume than stock at idle, and it will not disturb your neighbors. It does wake up when you really get on the gas and it has zero drone while cruising.

Just a nice deep and smooth sounding exhaust.
^^This. I have the SType, a little louder, but not over the top. The more you run it, the better it sounds. I have noticed on my 3.5, it seems louder than the one on my 5.0 did.
Zero drone as noted. Costly, but you get what you pay for. My next truck will have Borla as well.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:47 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Can you run dual exhaust on a truck with the trailer brake controller?

I just noticed while putting some gas in it that there's a bunch of hoses and stuff on the passenger side right in the spot where a pipe would have to come through. I don't want to buy a dual kit if I can't use it!

Old 04-30-2018, 12:54 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Duel Exhaust

Hi, I don't think you can run a true Duel Exhaust,Without paying for it Most of the Options that are Available are
Cat Back and cost at Least 1,000.00 Without breaking the Bank,I've had Flowmaster Systems
in the past but they all have come way up in price Because of the Demand I'm living on a Set
Amount every month where are the Days of the 4-5 hundred Bucks for a system that sounds good
The Borla systems are Expensive,When you purchased your truck you probably had to put something
down on,I did and it cleaned my Expense funds out,Oh well look what we have to show for it!!
P/S another note Yes you loose the Resonator Stock Exhaust is all on Piece(Welded).

Last edited by ecoboost12; 04-30-2018 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Another thought
Old 04-30-2018, 05:32 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
I have a magnaflow on mine, not overly loud, but has a nice rumble. The spare tire has to be removed to run the second pipe with this kit.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:12 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
After a ot of study and listening to sound tracks. I am going with a Flow Master Hush Power. similar sound to the old glas packs but with Stainless steel packing. only 6 decibells louder than stock.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:48 PM
Tow Matr
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running a Raptor exhaust on my 2016 XLT 3.5 eb. Raptor down pipes w/cats, $630. Really only need passenger side. Raptor take off cat back exhaust, $125. OEM clamps/hardware under $100. $800-$1000 to have real duals, if you shop wisely. I also deleted the resonator with a Corsa delete x-pipe. Also, didn't have to, but in order to make it look right (imo), I used a Raptor rear bumper ptm. I thought I got a good deal on the Raptor take off bumper, but I have since seen some better deals. Oh, well.

About all those wires/hoses near fuel tank, I just tied them back out of the way. I am real happy with my set up. Imo, I think it sounds pretty good, no drone and sounds good when getting on it.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:08 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TJReams
After a ot of study and listening to sound tracks. I am going with a Flow Master Hush Power. similar sound to the old glas packs but with Stainless steel packing. only 6 decibells louder than stock.
I've watched sooo many videos. Problem I have found is videos are so inconsistent, I hear one video where a guy has the American Thunder cat back and it sounds pretty reasonable, then in another it's super loud. Same with several others. I may have to experiment a little and see what works out.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:29 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
I have a Borla S-type on my 5.0. Perfect for me, quiet and no drone on the highway, plenty of rumble when you get in the loud pedal. Quality has been excellent, I live in the rust belt and no signs of deterioration in 50k miles. Expect to spend about a grand on that setup... You get what you pay for

Old 05-01-2018, 11:16 AM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
For those that installed the Borla exhaust. Did you do it yourself or pay to have it installed? If you paid, what did they charge you?

Old 05-01-2018, 11:32 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by function12
For those that installed the Borla exhaust. Did you do it yourself or pay to have it installed? If you paid, what did they charge you?
It can be done in your driveway or garage but I had mine installed by an exhaust shop so the prices will vary but I paid $150.00 and that price included a $50.00 dollar tip for the guy who actually took the time to make sure everything was aligned properly.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:41 AM
Drew1295
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
I went with Magnaflow on my '16 F150 5.0. I went ahead and deleted the stock resonator and changed the exit location to in front of the right rear tire instead of behind it. Nice and quiet at idle but when you get on the pipe she screams! Yes it had a little drone inside the cab, but im single with no kids so it doesnt bother me at all.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by function12
Installed self - couple hours with help of a friend.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:55 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
$75 on my '12 5.0. On the '17 3.5, $175, that also included installation of 5100's all the way around, and lowering shackles.
You can do it yourself in the driveway if you're a youngun. Us olde guys like to use a lift.

Quick Reply: So what are you guys running for aftermarket exhaust