1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1984 emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 11:20 AM
Obowersox26
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 emissions?

I have been reading around and I can’t seem to find exactly what I need. I just bought an 84 f150 2 wd long bed with the 300 i6 and 4 speed trans without overdrive. My question is if I was looking to totally delete the emissions and wanted to make it as simple as possible such as manual choke and no electronic plugs anywhere what carb would you recommend? It has electrical plugs and motors on the carb for automatic idle adjust, and a few other things but isles at 1400 rpm no matter how I adjust the screw also the choke doesn’t work right , it sputters and loads up until it’s warm , I’m sure I could get everything working right I’d just like it as simple as possible. Also will a different distributor be necessary? Thank you for your help.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:16 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Obowersox26
I have been reading around and I can’t seem to find exactly what I need. I just bought an 84 f150 2 wd long bed with the 300 i6 and 4 speed trans without overdrive. My question is if I was looking to totally delete the emissions and wanted to make it as simple as possible such as manual choke and no electronic plugs anywhere what carb would you recommend? It has electrical plugs and motors on the carb for automatic idle adjust, and a few other things but isles at 1400 rpm no matter how I adjust the screw also the choke doesn’t work right , it sputters and loads up until it’s warm , I’m sure I could get everything working right I’d just like it as simple as possible. Also will a different distributor be necessary? Thank you for your help.
Could be a computer-controlled ignition/fuel system, this is a transitional year for that technology to take over.

You would want to change out your fuel delivery & ignition systems to something non-computer-controlled, this isn't terrifically hard to do if the truck is going to spend the rest of its life in an emissions-unenforced location.

You'd want to do a DS2 swap, look it up.

As for actual emissions controls, there really isn't much - EGR valve & smog pump being the primary technology at the time and can be dealt with pretty easily.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:31 PM
Obowersox26
Junior User
ok thank you I will do that. Thank you for the quick response

Old 04-23-2018, 01:08 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Obowersox26,

Your 1400 RPM idle [with the idle screw backed all the way out?] is most likely caused by a vacuum leak. My son has a 1984 with 4.9L and we had the same issue. It was an easy fix once I determined the source.

I have a 1986 with 4.9L which has been converted to the older Duraspark system.

Ctubutis asked regarding the emissions testing... do you have to have yearly inspections?

Old 04-23-2018, 02:08 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 688 Likes on 552 Posts
if I was looking to totally delete the emissions and wanted to make it as simple as possible such as manual choke and no electronic plugs anywhere
​​
I'm no fan of the "Rip out all that pollution crap" club, but if you do cross over to the dark side, make sure you do it right. Unfortunately, we've seen plenty of examples here of how NOT to do it.

Most go something like this: "I just bought this truck from my neighbor's cousin because he's going to jail for a few years. He removed all that pollution crap to make it run better. Seems to start up just fine after several minutes of cranking but I have to downshift to second to get up to freeway speeds. Do you think new spark plugs will help?"

Oh anyways, if you do want to enroll in the club, do your homework first. Don't just start removing components and expect the truck to magically run better like that. There are many other changes you will have to make to compensate. Forum members who have successfully crossed over can walk you through the details. For example, the factory timing has extra advance thanks to the EGR system, so that will need to be considered to prevent knocking. The much-maligned smog pump? Among other functions, it sprays cool air on the back of the exhaust valves to prolong their lives. Lots of stuff like that to consider.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:21 PM
jackietreehorn
Cargo Master
Received 184 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by kr98664
I'm no fan of the "Rip out all that pollution crap" club, but if you do cross over to the dark side, make sure you do it right. Unfortunately, we've seen plenty of examples here of how NOT to do it.

Most go something like this: "I just bought this truck from my neighbor's cousin because he's going to jail for a few years. He removed all that pollution carp to make it run better. Seems to start up just fine after several minutes of cranking but I have to downshift to second to get up to freeway speeds. Do you think new spark plugs will help?"

Oh anyways, if you do want to enroll in the club, do your homework first. Don't just start removing components and expect the truck to magically run better like that. There are many other changes you will have to make to compensate. Forum members who have successfully crossed over can walk you through the details. For example, the factory timing has extra advance thanks to the EGR system, so that will need to be considered to prevent knocking. The much-maligned smog pump? Among other functions, it sprays cool air on the back of the exhaust valves to prolong their lives. Lots of stuff like that to consider.
Haha, I tend to think the same way. Having done a DSII conversion and ressurected a feedback/emissions system on a 300, I actually am not overly impressed with the conversion.

Durasprk runs great and is dead reliable, but can get you in to trouble depending on your local laws. Also, feedback set up runs smoother, starts easier and returns slightly higher MPG.

Both are good, but I wouldn’t ditch a feedback system just because one solenoid is bad or carb needs a rebuild.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:10 PM
Obowersox26
Junior User
Thank you all for your input, I’ve checked for vaccum links and can find none, there’s a a little electronic diaphragm deal that pushes on the throttle arm and even when I back the screw way off so that the two do not come in contact and I can lower the idle via idle screw but after I drive it awhile that electronic deal comes out further and raises the idle right back up, and I agree about leaving it alone and I would do so the only reason I wanna simplify it is because it’s missing key components for all the emissions including the air pump and tube and now is just capped off and I really don’t wanna try to find everything to put it back to stock , it honestly runs fine when it’s warm

Old 04-23-2018, 09:44 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Thank you all for your input, I’ve checked for vaccum links and can find none, there’s a a little electronic diaphragm deal that pushes on the throttle arm and even when I back the screw way off so that the two do not come in contact and I can lower the idle via idle screw but after I drive it awhile that electronic deal comes out further and raises the idle right back up, and I agree about leaving it alone and I would do so the only reason I wanna simplify it is because it’s missing key components for all the emissions including the air pump and tube and now is just capped off and I really don’t wanna try to find everything to put it back to stock , it honestly runs fine when it’s warm
Do you have inspections and can you register it?

Old 04-23-2018, 09:46 PM
Obowersox26
Junior User
Here in Michigan I’ve never had any sort of inspection at all , there’s no real talk about it what so ever

Old 04-24-2018, 07:03 AM
jackietreehorn
Cargo Master
Here in Michigan I’ve never had any sort of inspection at all , there’s no real talk about it what so ever
You might be able take it to an auto parts store with ODB1 code reader to find out whats causing this for free. Stock system can actually work well without air pump/catalytic converters.

Are the two vacuum lines going to the air pump valves plugged? One should be pink and the other black?

Do you still have the cats? They could be clogged internally.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:52 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Thank you all for your input, I’ve checked for vaccum links and can find none

Perhaps a lite "read" can assist: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...expensive.html

Old 04-24-2018, 10:43 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,675 Likes on 1,354 Posts
We still haven't determined what system he has have we? If you have a vacuum line to the distributor, then you have the older system still without the computer. If you do not have a vacuum line to the dist, and there is a rectangle module mounted on the dist like a 5.0 mustang, then you have the computer system on it. If you are going to take stuff off, you have to convert it to a older distributor for it to run correctly if you have the computer control system.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:08 PM
Obowersox26
Junior User
I have the computerized system with no vaccum advance , where on a truck this old can you plug a code reader in?

Old 04-24-2018, 12:09 PM
Obowersox26
Junior User
Also yes the air pump lines are plugged and I’m pulling 23 inches of vaccum

Old 04-24-2018, 12:17 PM
jackietreehorn
Cargo Master
I have the computerized system with no vaccum advance , where on a truck this old can you plug a code reader in?
23 inhg is great vacuum. Real easy to check codes....look for a trapezoid shaped connector near the passenger side/battery fender. Could be orange or black. You connect the jumper as shown and use a $5 test light. count the flashes like morse code and compare with the chart. If I have time today I'll find the codes in FSM.

Or you can take it to an auto parts store that still can check ODB1 codes with a reader...call and ask before.

3rd way, which I'm not sure on is that you can jumper the connector and turn the key in some order and then watch the yellow 'EMISSIONS' light on the dash flicker....there are youtube videos out there.

this might be a different test, but this is the connector.

Quick Reply: 1984 emissions?