how do I use Forscan to identify my ABS fault

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 06:36 PM
09dewaed
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do I use Forscan to identify my ABS fault

99.5 f250 psd zf6
I have the Forscan app on my android phone and I can see the ABS error code but I'm not sure how to identify the source. I only have ABS rear. Ive replaced the rear diff sensor. Can the app tell me the location of the fault?

Old 04-22-2018, 10:07 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
What is the code? It could be a wiring or connection problem. The code should help identify the type of problem; i.e. open, short to ground, or short to power.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:19 AM
09dewaed
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mueckster
What is the code? It could be a wiring or connection problem. The code should help identify the type of problem; i.e. open, short to ground, or short to power.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:09 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
PINPOINT TEST J: DTC C1241 — ABS HYDRAULIC PRESSURE DIFFERENTIAL SWITCH INPUT CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
CONDITIONSDETAILS/RESULTS/ACTIONS J1 CHECK THE SWITCH CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO GROUND

RABS Valve C1039 Measure the resistance between RABS valve C1039 pin D, circuit 57 (BK) harness side and ground.
  • Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes
INSTALL a new anti-lock brake control module. REFER to Module—Anti-Lock Brake Control .
No
REPAIR the circuit. CLEAR the DTC. REPEAT the self-test.
Component Test — Intermittent Failures

Power/Ground to Anti-Lock Brake Control Module

If the fuse had failed:
  1. Check the weather packing of the power connector to the anti-lock brake control module C1041.
  2. Remove power distribution box fuse 14 (60A).
  3. Measure the resistance between the outside pin of power distribution box fuse 14 (60A), circuit 532 (O/Y), and ground.
  4. Spray with water and wiggle the wiring between the power distribution box and the anti-lock brake control module.
  5. If any continuity is measured, repair/replace the wiring.
Check for opens in wiring:
  1. Disconnect the anti-lock brake control module C1041.
  2. While measuring the voltage between anti-lock brake control module C1041-2, circuit 532 (O/Y), and negative battery post, wiggle the wiring harness.
  3. If the voltage momentary drops below 10 volts, while the harness is wiggled, repair or replace the wiring.
  4. While measuring the resistance between the anti-lock brake control module C1041-1, circuit 530 (LG/Y), and ground, wiggle the wiring harness.
  5. If the resistance momentarily goes above 5 ohms, while the harness is wiggled, repair or replace the wiring.
Indicator Failure

Does not illuminate (prove out):
  1. Connect EEC-IV 60-Pin Breakout Box to the EHCU with ABS Adapter Cable.
  2. Connect EEC-IV 60-Pin Breakout Box pin 1 (yellow indicator) to the B+ pin.
  3. Wiggle the wire harness at the several points between the anti-lock brake control module and the instrument cluster.
  4. Repair/replace the wire harness at the location that the indicator flickered off for an open circuit.
Does illuminate (proves out):
  1. Wiggle the wire harness at the several points between the anti-lock brake control module and the instrument cluster.
  2. Repair/replace the wire harness at the location that the indicator flickered on for a short to ground.
Sensor Failure
  1. Connect EEC-IV 60-Pin Breakout Box to the EHCU with ABS Adapter Cable.
  1. Disconnect the rear anti-lock brake sensor.
  1. Check the harness for short to ground.
    1. NOTE: Use 88 Digital Multimeter with the minimum resistance hold feature enabled for this test.Monitor the resistance between EEC-IV 60-Pin Breakout Box pins and ground as follows:SensorBreakout Box PinsCircuitsRear anti-lock brake sensor9 and 21523 (R/PK) and 519 (LG/BK)
    1. Drive over rough roads at various speeds.
    1. If there is continuity between either circuit and ground, repair the circuit for a short to ground.
  1. Check harness for open circuit.
    1. NOTE: Connect jumper securely to the rear sensor connector.Connect a jumper between the two pins on the rear sensor connector.
    1. NOTE: Use 88 Digital Multimeter with the maximum resistance hold feature enabled for this test.Monitor the resistance between EEC-IV 60-Pin Breakout Box pins as follows:SensorBreakout Box PinsCircuitsRear anti-lock brake sensor9 and 21523 (R/PK) and 519 (LG/BK)
    1. Drive over rough roads at various speeds.
    1. If there is open circuit detected between pins, repair the circuit(s) for an open circuit.
  1. Check suspect sensor electrical connector.
    1. NOTE: Use 88 Digital Multimeter with the maximum resistance hold feature enabled for this test.Monitor the resistance between suspect anti-lock brake sensor terminals while wiggling the electrical connector:SensorResistanceRear 4x2 or 4x43,500 ohms
    1. If the resistance is above specifications, replace the anti-lock brake sensor.
    1. NOTE: Use 88 Digital Multimeter with the minimum resistance hold feature enabled for this test.Monitor the resistance between rear anti-lock brake sensor terminals while wiggling the electrical connector:SensorResistanceRear 4x2 or 4x4800 ohms
    1. If the resistance is below specifications, replace the rear anti-lock brake sensor.
    1. NOTE: Use 88 Digital Multimeter with the minimum resistance hold feature enabled for this test.Monitor the resistance between an anti-lock brake sensor terminal and ground on the highest resistance scale of the meter, while wiggling the electrical connector.
    1. If the meter shows anything but open circuit, replace the rear anti-lock brake sensor.