2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Super Ike Gauntlet Heavy Tow Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 06:47 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Super Ike Gauntlet Heavy Tow Challenge

And the winner is:

Ram 3500, but not by much.

The fact that the several model years old Ram held its own against the relatively brand new F350 is a bit surprising.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:20 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think 2 seconds counts as a win.

To be fair, I don't think the 1 extra brake app of the dodge is enough to swing a win/lose vote either.

There's more to a 1000 mile trip than one hill. 30sec-1min would be significant. But I doubt that would make up for dodges other foibles.
-Did you see that dash? Ick! Lol.
-mirror quality (that they actually noticed, they're getting better at these vids)
-front axle
-questionable transmission
-ugly
-control ergo's
-crew cab comfort
-still a chrysler product

Seeing both trucks side by side, really overstates how badly dodge needs the updated 2019's to get rolling.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:32 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
The takeaway from this video is that both trucks are pretty good and both will get the job done. The win/lose decision was based on personal preferences (seat massagers, mirrors, engine sound, etc.).

So buy what you like/best dealer/best deal.

I ship/have shipped classic cars all over the country. Many haulers use dually pickups and 3 car wedges to haul. It has been a long time since I have seen a Ford. Probably the last 5 haulers that have come to my shop have been driving Ram 3500 duallies. I have asked a couple of them why Ram and not Ford or GM. They both said the same thing, maintenance cost. The Rams are cheaper to maintain than the Fords.

No personal experience. Just repeating what I have been told.

Once again, buy what you like. They are both pretty good.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:55 AM
Adam R
More Turbo
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
I fully agree that overall the Ford is a much better package. However, the race to the top of this hill shouldn't have been close at all. Either Ram is underrating the Cummins or Ford had yet another bad day on the Ike when placed alongside the competition.

Bottom line is that Ford needs to offer air ride from the factory and they should be trouncing the competition when they have nearly 17% more advertised HP.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:34 PM
PremierPOWER
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn’t go from GM to ford to make it up a hill a bit faster, or to not have to brake as much going down hill (adaptive CC will handle that for me ha). I upgraded to Ford because of all the luxury features/ options that they offer that GM and Dodge do not currently offer.

I would love love to see them get stock 2006ish diesel duallys and do the Ike just to see how far along they have all come

Old 04-22-2018, 01:39 PM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam R

Bottom line is that Ford needs to offer air ride from the factory .
about the only thing I like better on the Ram.

towing up a hill comes down to torque and they are pretty damn close in the department - hence 2 seconds. Keep in mind doing that unscientific test again it could be flipped (wind changes, etc).

You do see it smoke it unloaded in a straight line right? What was it two truck lengths? That's a lot of length considering how long these trucks are.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:46 PM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 425 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by jschira
The takeaway from this video is that both trucks are pretty good and both will get the job done. The win/lose decision was based on personal preferences (seat massagers, mirrors, engine sound, etc.).

So buy what you like/best dealer/best deal.

I ship/have shipped classic cars all over the country. Many haulers use dually pickups and 3 car wedges to haul. It has been a long time since I have seen a Ford. Probably the last 5 haulers that have come to my shop have been driving Ram 3500 duallies. I have asked a couple of them why Ram and not Ford or GM. They both said the same thing, maintenance cost. The Rams are cheaper to maintain than the Fords.

No personal experience. Just repeating what I have been told.

Once again, buy what you like. They are both pretty good.
You see more Rams because they are thousands cheaper than a similarly equipped Ford. Most hotshotters are small time businesses that can't achieve the fleet discounts from either brand.

Rams also dont have the same quality in running gear or size of critical components like track bar bolts or frames.

When you go over these trucks with a fine tooth comb these differences show up. Look at weld quality on both frames. Measure track bar bolt and knuckle sizes. Look how the track bar is mounted to the frame on both vehicles. Pull on a Ram interior door grip and then the Ford. It becomes obvious what is better secured.

You get what you pay for.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:48 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam R
I fully agree that overall the Ford is a much better package. However, the race to the top of this hill shouldn't have been close at all. Either Ram is underrating the Cummins or Ford had yet another bad day on the Ike when placed alongside the competition.

Bottom line is that Ford needs to offer air ride from the factory and they should be trouncing the competition when they have nearly 17% more advertised HP.

I laugh when I see these magazine tests on Youtube. These guys have no clue how to do proper testing. I guarantee that the 2 second difference is way under the standard deviation, assuming they were to do more than one run up the mountain. They might as well throw darts at a dart board to determine a winner.

Also, so much of their scoring is subjective and a couple of the guys have stated in previous videos they are RAM fanboys.

Real objective testing doesn't translate well to a Youtube video and most people won't understand the methodology anyway. So I don't expect them to change their methods, even if they understood they are faulty. More importantly, live with the trucks for a month or more and then see how they shake out. I considered a RAM and a GM, bought a Ford for a very good reason.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:41 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by willynilly
I...., it wasn't a real test, the drivers don't know what their doing bla bla
Having fun?

It wasn't a real test and the drivers don't know what they are doing.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:58 PM
jccjr50
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ram is a good truck when it runs. Had 2014 Ram 3500 dualy that had to be towed in twice and with numerous recalls. Ram or dealer did not care. Had three ford 6.7’s and no problems. Went back 2018 f350 and loving this truck.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:00 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Both are obviously great trucks, it comes down to personal preference. I like the styling of the Ford much better but that is just opinion.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:02 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru

If you act now, dodge is having a big sale right now.

For being ugly.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:19 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Have you guys seen the new 2019 Powerwagons?

Only one color offered.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:21 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 346 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by jccjr50
Ram is a good truck when it runs. Had 2014 Ram 3500 dualy that had to be towed in twice and with numerous recalls. Ram or dealer did not care. Had three ford 6.7’s and no problems. Went back 2018 f350 and loving this truck.
were up to 425pgs of 17+ fords getting towed in, lemon laws exercised, buy backs, driveline vibrations with no solutions, rear ends needing ring and pinion at 1000mi, leaking cabs, front hubs that don't work right, front end components needing replaced with in a year, death wobble from the get go (which has turned into a cronic problem)..... bury your head in the sand if you want

Old 04-22-2018, 05:32 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Both of mine run fine. That's 5 in a row without a single issue, 4 of them up to, and over 200,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Super Ike Gauntlet Heavy Tow Challenge