Sponsored by: Moser

New to me 2014 F150 Platinum Supercrew

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 06:06 PM
rlester
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me 2014 F150 Platinum Supercrew

Just bought this truck today, I'm not picking it up till Monday after work so they can fix a scratch in the paint. It is replacing my old F150 I've had for 24 years, an 86 F150 Lariat with an EFI 302. Drove the old beast for the last time today, it will be a father and son project over the next few years. Still runs good, but I need a 4x4 and crew cab.

Really looking forward to driving the 2014. Has only 77000kms on it, runs perfect. Has the 5.0 and a 6.5 foot box. I honestly spent months searching for this truck and it's even the color I like, Ruby Red.

Only a couple of issues I noticed. The drivers door has a rattle when you close it, almost like the inner door panel isn't attached properly. Going to pull the panel off and see if it needs new retainers. The drivers side running board has the black paint starting to wear off from the previous owner stepping in the same spot all the time. Anyone know what color of black that is? Might mask everything and spray bomb that myself.

It needs a boxliner and a tonneau cover but I'll get those sometime in the next few months, this purchase cleaned out my bank account. ;-)

I've never owned a vehicle this nice, other than when I first bought my 86, it was as top of the line as you could get, and nobody knew what EFI was back then haha. Also this is my first purchase from a dealer, I've always bought privately my whole life. This new one has SO MANY bells and whistles I'm sure it will take me a while to get it all figured out.

Can't wait until Monday!

Old 04-22-2018, 07:50 AM
Sewhite
5th Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice upgrade. Lots of features on a platinum to try out, especially coming from an 86. As for paintig the running boards, test the paint on a similar piece of metal and hold it next to the running board to see if it meets your approval. Please post some photos inside and out when you have some time. Also of the 86 Lariat if you can.

Stan

Old 04-22-2018, 01:32 PM
AbitaPro
Senior User
Happy for you, in my opinion that’s the last of Ford’s best trucks built! I own one myself so, that could have something to do with my opinion.

Ford had the design, comfort, truck toughness and capablity almost perfect, for the 2013-2014 model years.

The 2015 and up just doesn’t bring the same comfort, ease of use (dash layout and controls) solid heavy truck feel as the previous models. They feel too light, seem to feel each grain of sand in the road, too plastic, and the technology, controls and interior layout is impossible to operate without being a distraction, of itself! They are quite, at least for the test ride, feel lightweight with plenty of power, but just don’t feel as though it will last. Technology can be good or bad, when it all works, but dreams of Wrench Lights, and Tech Fails, just too much for me. I test drove a 2018 King Ranch and the cooled and heated seats seemed to function pretty good, much better than 2015-2017 models. But trying to get those nice tow mirrors to fold without touching a single button, well that’s impossible. And the push to stop shutting the engine off, every time you get in, once again multiple button pushing to operate and start the truck. Such a disappointment, the Smart HiTech truck just can’t remember your preferences. I suppose I’m just a low tech truck operator, and like it fine that way.

Enjoy your 2014 Ford F-150 Platinum, it’s the last of the Best!

Old 04-23-2018, 05:51 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
Nice ride! Fellow Platinum owner here but I wish I had the 5.0 vs. the Ecoboost. You're gonna love the truck. The running boards are the fold out ones, correct? I'm surprised to hear the paint wearing off - haven't had that issue and I've got more miles on mine.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:56 PM
rlester
Mountain Pass
Thanks guys!

Picked up the truck today and I'm very happy. They filled the gas tank for me and did a super detail on the interior. One good thing is that the original factory grease was in the trailer plugs so it has NEVER TOWED anything. It was lady driven, according to the name of the bluetooth phone(s), the husband was the secondary phone. Also have their address in the GPS, they are from out of town, so it had a fair bit of highway miles to boot.

I will have pictures in the next couple of days of both trucks, it is going to be a cool comparison.

The more we drove it, the more power it seemed to get. I figure it either needed an Italian tuneup, or the computer needed to learn my driving strategy. I thought it had no more power than my worn out '86 302, but now after a few full throttle bursts, it has improved and there is no comparison.

One problem, the heated and cooled seats do not seem to work. If you start the truck and turn on the cooled seat, you hear (and feel) the fan running in the seat, but after about 5 seconds it shuts off. If you turn the heat on, you don't feel heat either, even after ten minutes. Any quick things to check? I'll check for fuses tomorrow, but if the fan runs initially, there must be another problem. I took out the filter on the drivers seat, and it looked fine to me, not dirty at all. They have given me 3 months of warranty on top of any factory warranty that is left, so I could take it in. I would prefer to fix it myself though as they are a half hour away.

Also, the passenger side running board has a squeak when deploying (minor). These are the only issues I can find so far. VERY quiet interior. LOTS of legroom in the back seat, even with my seat almost all the way back. Very nice truck. I didn't tell my family so my kids were real surprised, the look on my sons face was priceless. The girls had never seen the deploying boards ever before so that was cool to them.

Had an impromptu race with an ugly black GM suv. He had some loud dual exhaust on it. Light turned green and I pulled away pretty quick and left him a couple car lengths behind before we even got to 50km/h, my kids were laughing. It's a great truck, looking forward to using it.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:49 AM
rlester
Mountain Pass
Update on the heated/cooled seats.

I checked the fuse number 69 and it was good.

Drove the truck to work this morning and in both heat and cool modes, my seat fan was blowing continuously. No heat whatsoever. That has changed from yesterday, kind of strange.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:01 PM
AbitaPro
Senior User
Seats heating and cooling

Originally Posted by rlester
Update on the heated/cooled seats.

I checked the fuse number 69 and it was good.

Drove the truck to work this morning and in both heat and cool modes, my seat fan was blowing continuously. No heat whatsoever. That has changed from yesterday, kind of strange.
If it’s just not heating could be a heated seat element, they do go out. But you mentioned your fan started underseat then stopped? They have a control module for the controls and perhaps that needs replacing? Can get expensive with parts and labor, so if you have a warranty that covers that, may be the way to go.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:56 AM
rlester
Mountain Pass
I managed to get the seats working again. Disconnected the battery for about 5 minutes and that did the trick! Now both heating and cooling works on all of the seats. Even the rear seat heaters didn't work before. They have been working fine for a few days, hopefully that lasts.

Another benefit since I disconnected the battery is the touchscreen is more responsive. Used to have to hold my finger to select a button, now just a momentary press works fine. GPS is also not out by a full km anymore, that was weird.

Sorry I don't have pics yet, still working on doing something with both trucks.

Another thing that happened is one of the rear shocks blew out. I noticed it was a bit rough on the highway at times and then I saw oil drops all over the back passenger side of the truck. That shock was soaked with oil. I have an appointment for the service department to look at it on Wednesday, hopefully they just replace the shocks and I'm good to go.

I'm really appreciating this truck the more I drive it, what a difference from the old machine. So quiet and surprisingly not too bad on fuel.