Is this the beginning of the end

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 03:29 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Is this the beginning of the end

As my wife and I sit outside our truck camper, I am wondering if the truck camper segment is on the verge of consolidations that have overwhelmed other types of RVs.

Being of the the mindset that bigger is not necessarily better, I am hard pressed to find a sunny side to the recent Lance and Four Wheel buy-outs by equity companies to name the most recent.

Looking back it it was not so very long ago when if someone had suggested making reservations to camp I would have wondered what malady afflicted them. Now with what seems like a new found push to wilderness camp, how long will it be before our “wilderness” is defined by full hook-ups with cable?

The times are changing for sure and I can’t help but worry it is not for the better.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:02 PM
Seabiscuit-P3
Hotshot
Received 3,978 Likes on 1,224 Posts
I know exactly what you mean.

I'm departing in just a few minutes for one of those "wilderness" camps. The lake I am heading too is heavily forested and has 4 campgrounds around it that are adjacent to the lake. 4 are USFS, now contracted to private contractors with the camp site fees doubled. All of the USFS sites are closed and won't open until the week before Memorial Day and the last first come first serve campground in that group is now reservation only. Most of the South Side USFS roads have plenty of "No Camping" signs forcing you into their now private contracted campgrounds that are only open 4 months a year. That leaves 1 Oregon State Parks Campground that is open on the lake in a 12 month per year recreation area. 2/3rds of it is still closed for another month. The "primitive" loop in it only allows tents. So, we are off for a wild and rugged day camped in a heavily forested reservation only State campground on the edge of a lake with water, sewer and electrical hook ups.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:55 PM
_hedge_
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, I also see know you mean. I also hate that everyone owns a generator now, I hate listening to them. They used to be rare and since we were setup with solar we had our choice of the more rustic (and often nicer sites) instead of being crammed into the serviced parking lots.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:59 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,677 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Heading to a camp area (boondocking) a day earlier than usual (so I can get a good spot) is eating into my allocated vacation time from work. I think I'm going to have to retire so I can camp when I want, where I want.

So Lance was bought out? There were one of the leaders in quality from what I saw. I hope that continues.

All it's going to take to put the brakes on these problems is for the price of fuel to go above $4.

Steve, good to see you back. We've missed your expertise.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:32 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 253 Likes on 183 Posts
Used to eat me up how things change.... the neighborhood, the job market, loved ones come and go, etc. Then I let that go and got back to enjoying what I got. Still plenty of fun to be had out there.

Yeah, good old >$4 fuel. Diesel was there just a few years ago and probably will be again.

I too have appreciated all your helpful advice, RV Tech.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:49 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Not sure if folks have been following the sequence of buy-outs. Truck Camper Magazine caught the attention of RVDA when they complained slide-ins were getting short shift, which I guess caught the attention of bigger money. First Northern Lite, than Lance, and next Four Wheel were bought by “equity firms”. I don’t know what the impact will be, but I worry about how it might change things.

As some one folks discovered, I have always been available via PM, and I have been following four different truck camper forums.

Then I sorta er, um, I guess you would call it “unretired”. A small used dealer I did work for called and I agreed to do his work, but entirely on my own schedule.

So now we are in Destin, FL. Then back home for a couple of months before we head to who-knows-where in the SW for a few months. We kept our fifth wheel so whether our RV rides on the truck or gets dragged behind it depends on where and how long.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:44 AM
River Wild
Fleet Mechanic
Received 270 Likes on 164 Posts
I've been half-@$$ed following this. More so on Four Wheel Camper side since that's what I have and have followed them since the 80's. I can't say the process improvements they have implemented are a bad thing. But make no mistake, it's all about production and profit. I think it's just the way of things, right or wrong, when times are good. In my industry we are seeing something similar where large construction companies that do utility and earthwork are buying paving companies.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:10 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Yeah, I agree. I don’t know the outcome either. I talked with Northstar two weeks ago and was told they could not guarantee delivery on any new order before September. I like they respond for information so fast it is like having an instant connection. Should they expand? I don’t know. I was told they could not accept new dealerships and hadn’t been able too for a while.

Then there is the thought i have about whether even encouraging folks to truckcamp and take up more wilderness space is a good thing.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:21 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Move up to Fairbanks and let's become a dealer for some of the companies that haven't been bought out yet. I just purchased a 2015 Host Mammoth TC and told their home office they need a dealer up here. Plenty of places still to adventure and do the things you enjoy. Don't let the world stress you out - it isn't worth it.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:34 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I think it is always debatable which battles to fight. At present I am all over the map donating to political candidates who favor positions I think are important, don’t care about which party.

Same think here. Big players take over and money becomes more and more s driver. Before you know it the battle is lost. In my opinion competition in the RV industry is very important. I don’t think we need more cookie-cutter Thors and Forest Rivers.

I also worry we will will lose the wilderness. I think that is already happening in the West. I know we can’t turn back the clock, but I also don’t want to look the other way.

It’s just a matter of perspective I guess.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:17 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh, I think you're right about the dangers of losing the wilderness. They "updated" one of our favorite "Alaskan's only" campgrounds a couple of years ago, making it much more accessible. It was very annoying and troubling.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:57 PM
Colorado_Kid
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here in Eagle County, Colorado there is a dirt road to Piney Lake which has pull outs where you can camp but in the middle of summer this backcountry road feels like main street because of all the people passing through.
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Not sure if folks have been following the sequence of buy-outs. Truck Camper Magazine caught the attention of RVDA when they complained slide-ins were getting short shift, which I guess caught the attention of bigger money.
I remember that and it seemed as though the guy running TCM was just stirring the pot trying to get noticed.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:05 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I agree. I think TCM stands to gain plenty if slide-ins gain in popularity.

I don’t have any answer, but we spent all last summer out West and would never do it again. If I want to see that many tour buses I can just go to Gatlinburg. That’s a whole lot closer and I save a couple thousand miles of driving and hear just as many generators in the National Forest!

Old 04-22-2018, 04:47 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,677 Likes on 2,745 Posts
What is TCM?

Old 04-22-2018, 07:11 PM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Received 400 Likes on 188 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
What is TCM?
​​​​​​​Truck Camper Magazine.