2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 05:54 AM
jtalerico
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Questions

I am pretty new to the diesel world, so excuse the possible dumb questions please!

1) What can be modified without mucking with the warranty? I will be buying the extended warranty... Deletes? Tuners? Suspension?
2) I know how to turn a wrench, but I worry the Diesel might be too complicated to do normal maintenance -- is it better just to bite the bullet and let Ford to do things -- for the accountability standpoint?
3) Truck Sticker below -- I am getting ~ 14k off sticker is that OK deal? Given it is a left over 17? Has a build date of 10/17 -- so it wasn't a early model. I found a left over Platinum with 15K off sticker (however that dealership was bonening me on my trade)...

The Truck : http://www.windowsticker.forddirect....7W2BT4HEF29501

I will be buying my esp from Joel, his price alone is saving me 1k and giving me 24 more months compared to what my dealership offered me.

Thanks all!!

Last edited by jtalerico; 04-19-2018 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Thank you
Old 04-19-2018, 06:22 AM
diblasi
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As fair as your warranty goes any tunes/deletes will void your warranty. There's no such thing as not leaving a footprint on pcm. As far as maintainace goes real easy on these rigs just make sure you have a large enough bucket for your oil. 13.1 is a lot of oil. I also keep a truck log with all receipts of purchase for my oil and my Blackstone reports as proof of my own work. So if there's ever any warranty work you have solid proof you actually did the work. You can also log it on fords website but hard copies is best in my mind. Or maybe I am just crazy like my lady says.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:49 AM
jtalerico
New User
How about air intakes? I hear moving the air filter in front of the battery helps significantly. Would that muck with the warranty?

Old 04-19-2018, 01:11 PM
Kreep
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
1) Generally there is no warrantee on anything you add, but it won't void the warrantee on anything you left alone. So, you can lift it and add big tires with no effect on the engine/transmission warrantee, but don't expect Ford to chase down death wobble issues. You can't delete or tune without Ford knowing, they are wise to that game.

2) I recommend you do routine stuff if you are able and want to; draining fuel separator every 5k or so is a must. Do keep records.

3) That seems like a pretty good deal - if that's what you want/need. I didn't want a sunroof and fancy electronics (more to go wrong) so I ordered an XLT just the way I wanted for about $8k less. To better answer your question, it would help to know what you will be doing with the truck. I get the sense that you'll mainly be turning heads and don't really need a truck for more than a jet ski trailer. In which case, go ahead and delete/tune/lift/upgrade the stereo warrantee be damned. I'm not judging, just pointing out you need to be honest with us and yourself about what you are trying to accomplish. Now, if you need a serious truck to pull horses or a big boat we should talk f-250 vs F-350 and SRW vs. dually. In this case, don't worry about cold air intakes and the like. These trucks will move a mountain! BTW, you know SRW trucks limit power in first through third gear while dually only limit first gear, right?

Old 04-19-2018, 01:50 PM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,528 Likes on 831 Posts
If you're getting 14k off that truck I'd say go for it.That's roughly 18% off sticker. Just watch the add-ons and trade in #'s (if applicable.) For reference, I just bought an '18 Platinum and was only able to get about 8-1/2% off sticker - straight sale - no trade. Sounds like you are getting a great deal. Good luck.

Last edited by BowtieConvert; 04-19-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Changed percentage
Old 04-19-2018, 02:01 PM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
14k off sounds like a great deal. They're awesome trucks. Get to know your service manager and the powerstroke tech at the dealer, some will work with you a bit on certain issues and some won't when it comes to mods. Tunes and deletes are a tricky situation. If you're really bent on tuning, a good powerstroke tech will know which tunes work best with the 6.7 and your specific needs.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:19 PM
jtalerico
New User
Originally Posted by Kreep
1) Generally there is no warrantee on anything you add, but it won't void the warrantee on anything you left alone. So, you can lift it and add big tires with no effect on the engine/transmission warrantee, but don't expect Ford to chase down death wobble issues. You can't delete or tune without Ford knowing, they are wise to that game.

2) I recommend you do routine stuff if you are able and want to; draining fuel separator every 5k or so is a must. Do keep records.

3) That seems like a pretty good deal - if that's what you want/need. I didn't want a sunroof and fancy electronics (more to go wrong) so I ordered an XLT just the way I wanted for about $8k less. To better answer your question, it would help to know what you will be doing with the truck. I get the sense that you'll mainly be turning heads and don't really need a truck for more than a jet ski trailer. In which case, go ahead and delete/tune/lift/upgrade the stereo warrantee be damned. I'm not judging, just pointing out you need to be honest with us and yourself about what you are trying to accomplish. Now, if you need a serious truck to pull horses or a big boat we should talk f-250 vs F-350 and SRW vs. dually. In this case, don't worry about cold air intakes and the like. These trucks will move a mountain! BTW, you know SRW trucks limit power in first through third gear while dually only limit first gear, right?
I am done turning heads My days of being flashy are over.

I have a 33ft RV I take to the beach, and lakes. I had a 17 EB F150 KR -- I needed more Payload... but not a 350 payload.

So, the CAI in the diesel engines aren't helpful? I just saw some guy post a video of a CAI install, and it seemed to help, but who knows what other **** he had.

Originally Posted by BowtieConvert
If you're getting 14k off that truck I'd say go for it.That's roughly 18% off sticker. Just watch the add-ons and trade in #'s (if applicable.) For reference, I just bought an '18 Platinum and was only able to get about 8% off sticker - straight sale - no trade. Sounds like you are getting a great deal. Good luck.
Right. I found a Platinum w/o a bed liner, and 15k off.... (7.5k incentive, 7.5k off sticker)... They were giving me less for my trade so, it killed the deal. Also the KR I have has a higher MSRP + bed liner -- which i realize I could get done after the fact... The total price OTD was better with the KR I found.

Originally Posted by tony m 6.7
14k off sounds like a great deal. They're awesome trucks. Get to know your service manager and the powerstroke tech at the dealer, some will work with you a bit on certain issues and some won't when it comes to mods. Tunes and deletes are a tricky situation. If you're really bent on tuning, a good powerstroke tech will know which tunes work best with the 6.7 and your specific needs.
I am not bent on it... But, I have always done things to the truck to make it "mine" if that makes sense... Sort of a finger-print... Tonneau ordered... Tint next week... We will see what other goodies I settle on. The color scheme i have is pretty unique i think... Shadow + Caribou.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:21 PM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
congrats on the new truck

Old 04-19-2018, 03:39 PM
Kreep
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jtalerico
I have a 33ft RV I take to the beach, and lakes. I had a 17 EB F150 KR -- I needed more Payload... but not a 350 payload.

So, the CAI in the diesel engines aren't helpful? I just saw some guy post a video of a CAI install, and it seemed to help, but who knows what other **** he had.
I get the fingerprint thing, I'm the same way. My understanding is the CAI does bump torque and power a little and adds some engine/turbo whistle to the driving experience. I'd spend some time in tow/haul mode and then ask yourself if you really need it.

Beautiful truck BTW!

Old 04-19-2018, 04:03 PM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks great!

Old 04-19-2018, 05:13 PM
RONMCHUGH
Romcjr

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice Truck !!! Keep us posted with the mods .

Old 04-19-2018, 07:34 PM
diblasi
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good looking rig!!!