2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Do you really need tpms senors???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 03:14 PM
dananash2000
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you really need tpms senors???

I am ordering some new wheels and tires....just wondering if I don't get tpms sensors what will happen? I don't care about the light staying on, just don't want it to chime all the time or I also heard that the traction control will no be able to disable. Anyone not running tpms sensors with their aftermarket wheels?

Old 03-22-2018, 03:38 PM
BronzefireAL13SD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't speak to the 2017 Fords but I drove my 2010 sierra with 38's and no tpms for 8 years. Never had an issue.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:49 PM
david gelbach
New User
My buddy’s 18 would chime at you every so often. I turned it off with forscan.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:04 PM
Robert.jean1
Senior User
You don’t have to buy new sensors if your stock ones are still working. Just transfer the stock sensors over to the new wheels and your good to go. Now to answer your original question, no you do not need them, we never had them before and people managed just fine. Your low pressure warning would just always be on which could be frustrating.
Originally Posted by dananash2000
I am ordering some new wheels and tires....just wondering if I don't get tpms sensors what will happen? I don't care about the light staying on, just don't want it to chime all the time or I also heard that the traction control will no be able to disable. Anyone not running tpms sensors with their aftermarket wheels?

Old 03-22-2018, 05:23 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
why don't you just take the sensors out of your OEM wheels and install them in the aftermarket wheels?
otherwise you could use ForScan software to turn OFF the TPMS system.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:47 PM
BK39
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
On my 17, light stays on, and idiot message on display every time I start it. Other than that, nothing. I bought new sensors, they've been riding around in the door of my truck for a year now. Just haven't had time to swing it by a tire shop to get them installed.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:13 PM
acelefty
Junior User
Does anyone know for sure whether or not you can adjust the TPMS settings with the IDS tool on the 2017's? I have searched and found posts that say Ford has completely disabled that function in IDS and others saying that it "should" be possible. IDS would be my first choice to make this change - if that doesn't pan out I'll try Forscan.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:48 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by acelefty
Does anyone know for sure whether or not you can adjust the TPMS settings with the IDS tool on the 2017's? I have searched and found posts that say Ford has completely disabled that function in IDS and others saying that it "should" be possible. IDS would be my first choice to make this change - if that doesn't pan out I'll try Forscan.
why even bother w/ IDS....i know for a fact it can be done w/ ForScan....ive done it myself.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:23 PM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Sure, you can run without TPMS (idiot light and/or annoying charm or not). But you can also drive around without wearing your seat belt, too. You don't HAVE to have a fire extinguisher or smoke alarms at home, either. See where I'm going with this?

Personally, I like knowing the TPMS will warn me in advance if the tire pressure is low. It gives me time to get to tire repair shop to get it fixed instead of dealing with a flat tire on the side of a busy roadway.

Then again, I lost my left leg to a Buick that slammed into me while I was on the side of the expressway, so perhaps I'm biased ... :/

Old 03-24-2018, 02:34 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Just shut the system down with ForScan if you don't want to buy sensors or have them swapped. Obviously it is a nice warning system. I shut it down for people all the time that swap wheels.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:40 PM
RGPolo
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
TPMS

Originally Posted by BronzefireAL13SD
Can't speak to the 2017 Fords but I drove my 2010 sierra with 38's and no tpms for 8 years. Never had an issue.
In Maine you will not pass the yearly "Inspection" if your TPMS warning light is on. Maine does make an exception on this, if it is winter and u have your winter wheels and tires on. That's the way we roll up here.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:47 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I haven’t put the tpms sensors in any of my replacement tires for my 2011 F350. The error message only comes on very sporadically- maybe once every two months - then goes away.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:23 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by roadpilot
Sure, you can run without TPMS (idiot light and/or annoying charm or not). But you can also drive around without wearing your seat belt, too. You don't HAVE to have a fire extinguisher or smoke alarms at home, either. See where I'm going with this?

Personally, I like knowing the TPMS will warn me in advance if the tire pressure is low. It gives me time to get to tire repair shop to get it fixed instead of dealing with a flat tire on the side of a busy roadway.

Then again, I lost my left leg to a Buick that slammed into me while I was on the side of the expressway, so perhaps I'm biased ... :/
Dude.... That sucks.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:49 PM
StephenF350
New User
TPMS is an inexpensive, life saving, system that was designed initially for the aviation industry so the crew knew exactly the state of Nitrogen pressure in each tire. Very critical information during takeoffs and landings. If your lucky enough to have this system in your truck; then I highly recommend you keep it operational and maintain your tire pressures properly. Lastly, if you have a Dually with this system and you get red signaled that something is wrong; do not ignore especially the rear tires. I have seen the total destruction of rear fenders and nearby parts because a tire(s) exploded due to over and under inflations. The cost to repair (parts % labor) approximately $2,200.00 without tire replacement costs; all could have been avoided.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:24 PM
Bill_The_PA
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenF350
TPMS is an inexpensive, life saving, system that was designed initially for the aviation industry so the crew knew exactly the state of Nitrogen pressure in each tire. Very critical information during takeoffs and landings. If your lucky enough to have this system in your truck; then I highly recommend you keep it operational and maintain your tire pressures properly. Lastly, if you have a Dually with this system and you get red signaled that something is wrong; do not ignore especially the rear tires. I have seen the total destruction of rear fenders and nearby parts because a tire(s) exploded due to over and under inflations. The cost to repair (parts % labor) approximately $2,200.00 without tire replacement costs; all could have been avoided.
that’s Y I spent the $750 for the Camera and TPMS for my 5er. The potential for even more catastrophic damage increases when towing. I’m likely going to upgrade my trailer tires to G rated.

Quick Reply: Do you really need tpms senors???