2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Delay in New Truck Deliveries

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 02:38 PM
deltabowhunter
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Delay in New Truck Deliveries

So, my truck was built last week. It has a delivery date of 04/09. No big deal, except it has to sit in Kentucky for around 25 days before it shows up on my dealer's lot. This got me curious as to what the hold up was.

The way Ford works for trucks being delivered to Arkansas requires it to ship by rail from Kentucky to Memphis. It is then placed on an 18 wheeler and delivered into Arkansas to the dealer.

I was able to find the link to Jack Cooper Transportation PALS Portal through another forum posting. I went there and discovered it was shipped out last week to the "SHELBYVILLE MIX'G CNTR" in Kentucky. I ended up calling JCT's toll free number. I gave them my truck's freight bill for it being shipped to Memphis. They gave me the local number of the yard in Memphis.

I called the Memphis yard. They were very nice. They told me that my truck doesn't even have a rail car # assigned to it yet. They said that from their understanding there is a shortage of rail cars everywhere large vehicles such as trucks and vans are being built. It seems they put these trucks in double decker containers and the ones of a certain size that are required to fit a Super Duty are lacking in quantity. They said that Ford is actually storing trucks up to 40 miles away from the Louisville Truck Plant because of this rail car shortage. They said there are trucks that were built in February and still sitting in Kentucky waiting on a rail car.

They told me he placed a rush on my VIN #, but didn't know if that would actually do anything. He said if I don't see a change in status for my truck to call them back early next week.

Hopefully my truck makes it here by 04/09. I sold my F150 a few days ago and it is already depressing knowing I have another 2.5 weeks to drive around in an SUV.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:42 PM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good things come to those who wait!!

Old 03-22-2018, 03:28 PM
PentaPop
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good info since mine is coming to Arkansas too. Mine went into production on Tuesday with an estimated delivery of 4/24. I’ve still got my old F250 so maybe we should get one of those gooseneck car haulers and run up there and get them!

Old 03-22-2018, 03:34 PM
jergle
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
A friend of mine who ordered a 2018 F250 took nearly 2 MONTHS to get his truck to SC after it was shipped from the factory. First, they apparently "LOST" it, but once they found it, it took forever to get here. They blamed it on the shipping company, but it was pretty ridiculous.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:42 PM
deltabowhunter
New User
Ford really seems to struggle in the logistics and truck delivery department. All dealers I spoke to told me 8-12 weeks. From what I read online it is usually closer to 12 weeks than it is 8 weeks.

I had a friend order a 2017 F250 Platinum in July. It was built and sat in Kentucky for months waiting on the factory spray in bed liner. He finally got his July ordered truck in late January.

My BIL ordered an F150 a few years ago and 16 weeks later he had his truck.

It would seem Ford does not subscribe to the under promise and over delivery philosophy.

When we ordered my wife's Tahoe in 2015 Chevy told us 7-8 weeks. It showed up in 4 weeks.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:43 PM
Bill_The_PA
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deltabowhunter
So, my truck was built last week. It has a delivery date of 04/09. No big deal, except it has to sit in Kentucky for around 25 days before it shows up on my dealer's lot. This got me curious as to what the hold up was.

The way Ford works for trucks being delivered to Arkansas requires it to ship by rail from Kentucky to Memphis. It is then placed on an 18 wheeler and delivered into Arkansas to the dealer.

I was able to find the link to Jack Cooper Transportation PALS Portal through another forum posting. I went there and discovered it was shipped out last week to the "SHELBYVILLE MIX'G CNTR" in Kentucky. I ended up calling JCT's toll free number. I gave them my truck's freight bill for it being shipped to Memphis. They gave me the local number of the yard in Memphis.

I called the Memphis yard. They were very nice. They told me that my truck doesn't even have a rail car # assigned to it yet. They said that from their understanding there is a shortage of rail cars everywhere large vehicles such as trucks and vans are being built. It seems they put these trucks in double decker containers and the ones of a certain size that are required to fit a Super Duty are lacking in quantity. They said that Ford is actually storing trucks up to 40 miles away from the Louisville Truck Plant because of this rail car shortage. They said there are trucks that were built in February and still sitting in Kentucky waiting on a rail car.

They told me he placed a rush on my VIN #, but didn't know if that would actually do anything. He said if I don't see a change in status for my truck to call them back early next week.

Hopefully my truck makes it here by 04/09. I sold my F150 a few days ago and it is already depressing knowing I have another 2.5 weeks to drive around in an SUV.
have you looked on OEMSTICKERS.COM for your actual window sticker. I think once you have that your scheduled for rails. right?

Old 03-22-2018, 03:46 PM
deltabowhunter
New User
Originally Posted by Bill_The_PA

have you looked on OEMSTICKERS.COM for your actual window sticker. I think once you have that your scheduled for rails. right?
I've had my window sticker since 3/08. From what I can tell window stickers are published about a week before production of the truck is completed.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Bill_The_PA
Posting Guru

I've had my window sticker since 3/08. From what I can tell window stickers are published about a week before production of the truck is completed.
hmmm!! So my build was 3/12. I’m expecting mine on 4/4 this all I could find from The trucking CO. Mine is #5

Old 03-22-2018, 03:53 PM
Bill_The_PA
Posting Guru
Ment to say I had 2 types of window stickers. The last one was a PDF of the actual window sticker price etc. Don’t know if they real make a difference

Old 03-22-2018, 05:07 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
That is correct, 5-7 days prior to build. Also, once the truck has been released by Ford and is sitting on the ramp, it is out of Ford's hands as it has already been released to the shipping companies. It is then on the shipping companies from that point forward.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:13 PM
Bill_The_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Blwnsmoke
That is correct, 5-7 days prior to build. Also, once the truck has been released by Ford and is sitting on the ramp, it is out of Ford's hands as it has already been released to the shipping companies. It is then on the shipping companies from that point forward.
I’ll assuming then the dealership has visibility on where my rig is. Right?

Old 03-22-2018, 05:16 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Ford really seems to struggle in the logistics and truck delivery department. All dealers I spoke to told me 8-12 weeks. From what I read online it is usually closer to 12 weeks than it is 8 weeks.

I had a friend order a 2017 F250 Platinum in July. It was built and sat in Kentucky for months waiting on the factory spray in bed liner. He finally got his July ordered truck in late January.

My BIL ordered an F150 a few years ago and 16 weeks later he had his truck.

It would seem Ford does not subscribe to the under promise and over delivery philosophy.

When we ordered my wife's Tahoe in 2015 Chevy told us 7-8 weeks. It showed up in 4 weeks.

Just orders my 2018 350 CCSB PSD today. I did not order the spray in bed liner for that very reason. Word is an additional 4 weeks for spray in bed liner.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:27 PM
Bill_The_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by davidpacificnw
Just orders my 2018 350 CCSB PSD today. I did not order the spray in bed liner for that very reason. Word is an additional 4 weeks for spray in bed liner.
well I’m one of the lucky ones. The trucking label in post #8 was my rig returning from GFX (CO who sprays the liners). Rolled off the line on the 12th. Returning on the 14/15th. Pretty good I think. Maybe Canadian orders follow a different path.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:58 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bill_The_PA

I’ll assuming then the dealership has visibility on where my rig is. Right?
they can see it. Will look like this. Starts at the bottom from the time the order is submitted.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:25 PM
Bill_The_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Blwnsmoke
they can see it. Will look like this. Starts at the bottom from the time the order is submitted.

what I find interesting is how the final week (expect at dealership I’m assuming) kept changing from apr 5-11 (bottom) to Mar 25-31 (top)

Quick Reply: Delay in New Truck Deliveries