1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Just getting started on '57

Old 03-17-2018, 01:18 PM
verbatim68
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just getting started on '57

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'm about to start a restoration project for my 57 F100. I have a complete truck that has almost nothing usable as far as the body, bed, fenders, doors etc. go. However, I am going to bring another truck body up from the US that's in decent shape and combine them into one. Keeping it mostly original and looking also for a 292 V8 to put in it instead of the 223 I have. Anyways, I've taken stock of everything I have acquired over the years and I think I'm covered for pretty much everything except one thing.

I need the lower valance piece below the main grill. If anyone knows of a good lead on where I could possibly locate one that's in great condition, I'd really appreciate it. I can probably splice the two crappy ones I have together, but it's going to be a ton of work.

I plan on posting lots of pics of the progress as I go along, if anyone's interested.

Any leads would be appreciated on the lower valance piece.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of other questions as I go along and I'm looking forward to tapping into the vast knowledge base here.

Oh, one thing also comes to mind. What will I need to mount my existing 3 speed transmission off the 223 engine onto the 292? New bell housing? what else?

Any other words of wisdom appreciated as well.

Cheers,
Loren.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:22 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You will need the front V8 mounts that rivet to the frame.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:01 PM
verbatim68
Freshman User
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
the truck I’m bringing up from the US had a V8 in it so I should be good there.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:05 PM
G-Force junky
More Turbo
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
There could be many. Maybe list all the things you have for the swap and someone could point out something you may be missing.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:09 PM
verbatim68
Freshman User
Originally Posted by G-Force junky
There could be many. Maybe list all the things you have for the swap and someone could point out something you may be missing.
What I have:
1957 F100 long box complete truck. Has a running inline 6 223 engine and 3 speed transmission in working order but engine needs a rebuild I drove this truck right up until it was parked many years ago. Just about all original except for alternator conversion and oil filter conversion. The only body parts that are of any use would be the doors and the grill / headlight bezel assembly and maybe the tailgate (needs dent repair). Everything else is body-wise is pretty much toast. Mechanical and trim pieces are pretty much all there.

Spare parts I have:
Lower valance with some rust and damage
Grill - dented
two doors in good shape
4 front fenders - mostly good.
Cab - better than what's on complete truck, but not great either
short box - not great shape
tailgate - dented
hood.

Truck I'm getting (not in my hands yet).
1957 F100 short box roller. No engine or Transmission or drive shaft, but front and rear end seem to be complete. All of the body pieces are there except for the tailgate and the lower valance. Very little rust

Because the truck I'm getting is so solid, it appears I will have a number of extra parts, so if anyone wants to swap their lower valance for something..... lol.

I guess I'll need a drive shaft for a shortbox? Can I shorten the one I have in the longbox truck?

Has anyone used the reproduction tailgate from Dennis Carpenter Tailgate - Styleside | Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts
Is it any good? Probably cheaper and easier than fixing the ones I have, but wondering if it's the same quality as the original.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:28 PM
G-Force junky
More Turbo
Well, I was talking about the engine swap but even better.
So do you have the 292 or not yet?

Old 03-18-2018, 12:09 AM
verbatim68
Freshman User
No, i don't have it yet. I was looking at Ford Engines ? Available Ford Auto N' Truck Engine Long/Short Blocks so far and they have one. Don't know how reputable they are, but they seem legit.

Have no idea what it comes with and what I'd need in addition in order to have it work with my 3 speed.

I don't want to go away from the 3 speed. Call me weird, but I think the three on the tree is the coolest thing ever.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:13 AM
verbatim68
Freshman User
No I don't have it yet. I was looking at Ford Engines ? Available Ford Auto N' Truck Engine Long/Short Blocks and they have one. Not sure if they're reputable or not but they look legit. I have no idea though.

I don't know what it comes with and hence I am wondering what I'd need to add in order to make it work with my 3 speed. Not sure whether it comes with, haven't. asked yet.

I really want to keep the 3 speed. Call me weird but I think the three on the tree is the coolest thing ever.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:12 PM
verbatim68
Freshman User
No, I don't. I have my eye on one from an engine rebuilder in the northwest. I have no idea yet what comes with that rebuilt engine, but it seems like a reputable place.

I imagine I'm going to run into a lot of pitfalls along the way, so I'll just have to deal with them as they come along. I"m confident by what I'm hearing already here that I'll have plenty of support. Seems like a great bunch of people here.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:37 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
The mounts riveted to the frame are the same between the I6 and V8 what changes are the engine support bracket/s that bolt to the engine and sit on the motor mounts..

The Y block is a one piece bracket PT# B7B-6028-A

The 223 bracket is a two piece and has a left and a right PT#'s, B7C-6037-A Right Hand , B7C-6038-A Left Hand

Old 03-18-2018, 04:48 PM
G-Force junky
More Turbo
What’s abouts are you located? I have some parts you may want and you have some I might want and it sounds like we are near each other.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:50 AM
verbatim68
Freshman User
Originally Posted by G-Force junky
What’s abouts are you located? I have some parts you may want and you have some I might want and it sounds like we are near each other.
I'm in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

After doing some more research on the the engine rebuild place for the 292, I'm not so sure I should get it from them, the reviews are not good. Does anyone know the best route to get an engine? I have no problem rebuilding it myself, I'm quite capable and have the tools, so if anyone has a line on a good used motor, would love to know. This seems to be my biggest stumbling block right now.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:07 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by verbatim68
I'm in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

After doing some more research on the the engine rebuild place for the 292, I'm not so sure I should get it from them, the reviews are not good. Does anyone know the best route to get an engine? I have no problem rebuilding it myself, I'm quite capable and have the tools, so if anyone has a line on a good used motor, would love to know. This seems to be my biggest stumbling block right now.
Ha you are in luck I'm in St Albert and have a 57 F100 with a 272 in it that needs swapped back to a 223. The 272 Can be taken out to 292. The engine is running but needs reman.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:26 PM
verbatim68
Freshman User
Originally Posted by matthewq4b
Ha you are in luck I'm in St Albert and have a 57 F100 with a 272 in it that needs swapped back to a 223. The 272 Can be taken out to 292. The engine is running but needs reman.
Wow, that's awesome. Seems like a trade is in order! What transmission is it currently hooked up to?

So the only difference between the 272 and 292 is it's bored out larger with larger piston's? is that the same for the 312? I know the 312 wasn't offered in the '57, but hey, if it gets more power.....

Old 03-19-2018, 01:03 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Yup the 292 is just a bored out 272, The 312 has other difference but is essentially the same.

And yes a trade I think is in Order. We can do a complete swap of all the bits to drop one in the other.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just getting started on '57