2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Which 3000watt genset will fit under a metal tonneau cover?

Old 03-15-2018, 12:09 AM
TheLex
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which 3000watt genset will fit under a metal tonneau cover?

I'm going to need a 3000w genset to start the AC in my trailer when we dry camp. The Honda and Champions get good reviews with the Champion being less than 1/2 the price.

Will either one of these fit under a metal tonneau cover like a Retrax Pro or some other brand? I don't have the tonneau cover yet and I wonder if they all pretty much have the same amount of room under the cover.

Also how do you guys secure the genset so it doesn't "walk away"?

What about venting it? The exhaust is pretty hot. Do you fab up some kind of muffler system to redirect the exhaust upward?

And what about storage of gasoline? Obviously you don't want the hot exhaust anywhere near the gas. But one would also need extra gas if one were to run this for more than a few hours.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:59 AM
Freshman User
Would like to know myself, kind of interested in getting a generator

Old 03-15-2018, 07:55 AM
H4Racing
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
How big is your AC? Do you plan on dry camping a lot? Where are you camping? Is your camper 30 or 50A?

I dry camp at 2-3 times a month for Cross Country MX racing, and I recently went from a Honda EM5000SX open frame generator to a Honda EU7000is inverter generator. The 5000 would fit under the cover, but at 230 lbs, it was a b**** to get in the truck. The 7000 is notably quieter and uses way less fuel. If I am worried about them walking away, I use a motorcycle chain to secure them to the tongue of the trailer.

If you are wanting portability, Honda has the new 2200. You can get 2 and parallel them for 4400 watts of power - enough for a 30A camper if you pay attention to your loads. They are really fuel effecient, so you won't have to carry much extra gas. They will definitely fit in the bed of your truck.

If you have a bumper pull camper, consider this mounting kit - you can definitely secure the generator to it. I would get one for ours, but the 7000 is too big for it.

https://www.strombergcarlson.com/car...-model-cc-255/

Lastly, as far as the Honda vs. Champion debate......I have had both, and while the Champion got the job done, the Honda's do it easier and are better built.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:57 AM
~erik~
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I got a Briggs & Stratton P3000 generator. https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na...rt-series.html

It's just under 20" tall, has a convenient suitcase style handle for moving the unit around, two lifting handles, only about 80 lbs, and just fits under my Truck Covers USA roll cover. Truck Covers USA | American Roll Cover

I haven't had a chance to use the genny yet, so can't help with the last questions. I did buy a cable lock to secure it to the truck and to a tree or trailer wheel when camping. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Schlage-...4862/203274524

Old 03-15-2018, 09:45 AM
dieseldrive
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
The Honda EU 3000 I had fit under a soft cover, but protruded into it on my 2003. I am guessing that it would fit under the 2017 and newer because the bed walls are higher. I sold that Generator and went with two Honda EU 2000 units fir more flexibility - They only weigh about 50 pounds each and can be stored easier (inside the camper, in a tool box...), but I like that when not needing to run an AC on the camper, I can run just one of the smaller units.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:58 AM
b-foster
Senior User
I have been generator shopping too and "thought" that I had decided on 2 Honda 2000's until I saw, and read reviews/videos on the Predator 3500 from Harbor Freight. It is listed at 20" tall which would fit but I have yet to call or go into a store to measure it myself since I am not sure if that is with the wheels on, or not. While I would not normally consider HF for something like this, after reading reviews most people seem pretty positive about it, so possibly something else for you to consider and with the current coupon they are $700. The parallel kit they are currently selling with it does nothing for this generator, but there are other options out there if you need to get up to 50 amp.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-W...tor-63584.html

Northern Tool appears to sell the same one, re-skinned blue, and has a true 50 amp parallel kit

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...0221_200660221

Old 03-15-2018, 11:53 AM
ssande
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by b-foster
I have been generator shopping too and "thought" that I had decided on 2 Honda 2000's until I saw, and read reviews/videos on the Predator 3500 from Harbor Freight. It is listed at 20" tall which would fit but I have yet to call or go into a store to measure it myself since I am not sure if that is with the wheels on, or not. While I would not normally consider HF for something like this, after reading reviews most people seem pretty positive about it, so possibly something else for you to consider and with the current coupon they are $700.
I use a Predator 3500 generator with my toy hauler and love it! Its not a Honda, but at almost 1/3 the price it's close enough. Very quiet and good fuel economy, especially in the eco throttle mode. Warranty is 30 days, so break it in and run it good before it's out of warranty. Coupon price is $659.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:13 PM
b-foster
Senior User
I missed this past weekend sale price of $649 and now only see a "retail" price of $749 with a $50 off coupon on the front page of their site - if you have a different deal that gets it to $659 and can share it I would probably just buy one today, maybe it is a location based coupon - I am currently in Northern California. Has little to do with the extra $40 off and more to do with principle that I missed the damn sale and will likely stubbornly wait until the next one...

Old 03-15-2018, 01:14 PM
afacey
Senior User
Having owned Honda EU3k, Honda 2ks, and also Yamaha EF3000is, I bought a champion 3400 with remote start last summer on sale at CW. It works great and the cost savings was huge over the others. Portability is great. No complaints.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:33 PM
ssande
New User
Originally Posted by b-foster
I missed this past weekend sale price of $649 and now only see a "retail" price of $749 with a $50 off coupon on the front page of their site - if you have a different deal that gets it to $659 and can share it I would probably just buy one today, maybe it is a location based coupon - I am currently in Northern California. Has little to do with the extra $40 off and more to do with principle that I missed the damn sale and will likely stubbornly wait until the next one...
Give it a few days and there will be another coupon. This should help when its released: Harbor Freight Tools Coupon Database - Free coupons, 25 percent off coupons, 20 percent off coupons, No Purchase Required coupons, toolbox coupons

Old 03-15-2018, 02:31 PM
jims94vmx
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
just got a honda EG2800i that fits under my Bak flip MX4

Old 03-15-2018, 02:40 PM
cdnfireman
Senior User
I have a 2400 Yamaha that easily fits under a tonneau cover. It easily starts the A/C on my trailer and at 70ish pounds it’s relatively easy to load and unload. It’s quiet, fuel efficient and easy to start. Do yourself a favour and stay away from the cheap Chinese knockoff junk generators. A generator is something that needs to function when needed. IMHO, buying a cheap generator is like buying a cheap chainsaw....just an exercise in frustration and a waste of money. You get what you pay for. I’ve never thrown a tool across the shop in a fit of rage because it was GOOD quality!

Old 03-15-2018, 02:44 PM
TheLex
Elder User
Holy Smokes! That Honda EU7000i is a monster. Godzilla!

I've read some reports that the pair of Honda EU2000i's has a difficult time producing enough surge power to start an AC unit. In my case, the main unit is 15k btu and the optional second one is 13.5 btu. Both are ducted so if the 13.5k unit is running the rest of the trailer should be getting some cool air.

As for the Harbor Freight unit, it looks like a great value. But the Champion 3000 is just a tad more expensive and can be had with a remote start. And reports are that it offers more surge power than the pair of Honda 2000's.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:45 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you live in Florida, I have a Brand New, top of the line Champion 3100 (?) Inverter Generator still in the box. It fit under the Bed Rails of my 16' F350. I bought it to use with our Travel Trailer but we changed our plans. It also has Remote start.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:51 PM
afacey
Senior User
Originally Posted by TheLex
Holy Smokes! That Honda EU7000i is a monster. Godzilla!

I've read some reports that the pair of Honda EU2000i's has a difficult time producing enough surge power to start an AC unit. In my case, the main unit is 15k btu and the optional second one is 13.5 btu. Both are ducted so if the 13.5k unit is running the rest of the trailer should be getting some cool air.

As for the Harbor Freight unit, it looks like a great value. But the Champion 3000 is just a tad more expensive and can be had with a remote start. And reports are that it offers more surge power than the pair of Honda 2000's.
Do yourself a favor and add one of these to your A/C unit(s).. $10 item that makes all the difference..
Amazon Amazon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which 3000watt genset will fit under a metal tonneau cover?