2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ford trailer mounted back up camera will not work

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 04:23 PM
SmokyOkie
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford trailer mounted back up camera will not work

I am as frustrated as I can be. I ordered the customer mounted trailer back up camera system with my 2017 Super Duty. I paid a professional to install it. The truck will not recognized the camera. When I push the "aux" button, it just sows a camera with a line through it.

The dealer is trying to tell me that the "back up assist" feature has to be enabled in order for the trailer mounted camera to work. I might also add that they originally told me that Ford did not offer such a camera. I do not believe that because they appear to be two totally independent systems, as well as the fact that installation videos and owners manual say nothing to that effect.

Can anyone give me any contact info for someone at Ford that either knows what they are talking about or would be able to help me get this camera to operational status?

Old 03-14-2018, 07:09 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
When i had to replace the oem backup camera in my 2013 Taurus, the desler had to program the car to recognize the replacement camera. I wouldn’t doubt that the dealer would have to enable your new set up. I’d think that it would just be a matter of them doing a software setup.

Ask the company that you bought the camera from about it. Also ask the installer. One of them should know.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:51 PM
TJP249
Tuned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
You may get more assistance over in the 2017+ section.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:18 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
In order for the trailer mounted camera to operate, your Super Duty must be equipped with the following:
  • Sync 3
  • Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System
If your truck is not equipped with both of those options, the camera will not be recognized and it will not function.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:04 AM
SmokyOkie
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Pocket
In order for the trailer mounted camera to operate, your Super Duty must be equipped with the following:
  • Sync 3
If your truck is not equipped with both of those options, the camera will not be recognized and it will not function.
I have the package, I have Sync, not sure which version, but wouldn't a 2017 have the latest version?

Old 03-16-2018, 08:31 AM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
Moved to 2017+ Super Duty forum.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:19 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,196 Likes on 573 Posts
Back up assist has nothing to do with the back up camera. I do remember reading back when guys were first installing these that some places were not plugging in to the correct harness above the hitch under the truck. When I installed mine, I only saw one place to plug in the camera/TMPS harness so I'm not sure how that could be. Anyways, the system is completely plug and play with nothing to activate in the truck to make it work. So, you either have a bad camera, a wire got pinched during the install in your trailer, the new trailer camera plug isn't correctly seated into the harness under your truck, or there is something wrong with your trucks wiring. Lots of options but none that can be verified on the internet. I would suggest going to a different dealer with the trailer in tow and have them work on it with everything there.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:21 AM
psdxohio
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
  • Sync 3

Breaking news (sort of)..... in case it helps anyone, Nichols has a kit to make this work on trucks not equipped with the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System.
https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldi...ols-switch-kit

Old 03-18-2018, 04:23 PM
SmokyOkie
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Back up assist has nothing to do with the back up camera. I do remember reading back when guys were first installing these that some places were not plugging in to the correct harness above the hitch under the truck. When I installed mine, I only saw one place to plug in the camera/TMPS harness so I'm not sure how that could be. Anyways, the system is completely plug and play with nothing to activate in the truck to make it work. So, you either have a bad camera, a wire got pinched during the install in your trailer, the new trailer camera plug isn't correctly seated into the harness under your truck, or there is something wrong with your trucks wiring. Lots of options but none that can be verified on the internet. I would suggest going to a different dealer with the trailer in tow and have them work on it with everything there.
No pinched wires, all connections have been double and triple checked. TPMS works fine, still no camera. the dealer said they had another camera, plugged it in and it still didn't work. I have no reason to think the other dealer in town would be any better at diagnosing the issue. the one I took it to has the better reputation for service work. I am at wits end with this, and Ford seems to be flipping me the middle finger. If they are going to sell them, they need to have someone around to troubleshoot and fix them.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:24 PM
SmokyOkie
Freshman User
Originally Posted by SmokyOkie
I have the package, I have Sync, not sure which version, but wouldn't a 2017 have the latest version?
I have the ultimate tow package, I have Sync 3 version 2.2. Is that recent enough?

Old 03-18-2018, 04:50 PM
System
Prolocutor
Your Sync version is fine. The problem is with your truck if everything else has been checked and a different camera tried. I don't think anyone here can diagnose it from afar though. It's up to your dealer to dig until they find it.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:22 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Find someone local that has the trailer camera also. Connect your cable to their plug and see what happens.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:19 PM
SmokyOkie
Freshman User
Good idea if I knew anyone locally that had one.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:20 PM
System
Prolocutor
He said the dealer already tried a different camera without success. So, I'm guessing it's the truck and not the camera?

Old 03-19-2018, 04:00 PM
USSenator
Elder User
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
When I plugged my camera into the wrong port, the tailgate would not release. There are two ports, both fit the camera connector. The 'wrong' one is attached to a different wire, the 'right' one is attached to a plug protector.

If the OP had a tailgate release button that no longer works, that is the issue.

Quick Reply: Ford trailer mounted back up camera will not work