Starter Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 07:49 PM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Starter Recommendations

2000 F250 SD 4x4

Every now and then my starter free spins rather than engaging. It doesn't happen very often, maybe once a month and starts fine on the second try. Already cleaned all the contacts and grounds from both batteries, plus I tightened the starter bolts.

My thoughts are it is wearing out and I should start planning to replace it. It seems with most parts you want to go stock replacement, is it the same with the starter or are there better options?

Old 03-02-2018, 07:57 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,462 Likes on 2,851 Posts
You will have to pay for it, but I fully recommend the GENUINE Denso from Corey at CNC Fabrication.

Clickity click click click...

Old 03-03-2018, 10:36 AM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Ouch! You weren't kidding about the pricing. I imagine shipping costs on that Denso are another small fortune?
Looks like a great starter though. I watched the videos on it and there's no comparison.
I may try to wait it out for a while. Really want to fix my driver's seat. The foam was deteriorated and the previous owner stuffed something in there and put seat covers on it. Causes my left leg to lose circulation on extend drives.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:52 AM
cabloom300
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion, if your cables, batteries, and alternator are fine, you dont need a gear reduction starter, or need to pay the price for one. I had mine rebuilt locally for 75 bucks or so. Quality parts and labor. i expect it to be fine for years to come.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:46 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I scored a used Denso or Denso Style and had it rebuilt. The rebuilder was unable to determine if it was genuine or knock off but he told me that it should last basically forever. He also said that a lot of tractor companies use them and he specifically mentioned Kubota. If they are the exact same starter it might be easier to just get one from you local Kubota dealer.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:18 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Shipping was $45.84 to my door. I had contemplated taking my OEM starter to a local rebuild shop, and still may. Although, I had wanted a Denso gear reduction since learning about them a couple years ago. Like Mark, if/when this one dies I will have it rebuilt and continue on.

At the time, I upgraded to AGM NorthStar batteries, 160A Quick Start alternator and the Denso. Soon following I upgraded the positive and negative cables to the batteries.

This is all in preparation of turning my truck into a reliable tow pig for our RV.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:59 PM
Stebs
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had to replace my starter in the process of installing new batteries and all new cables (I pulled the lug out of the old starter). I went with the denso at sous's suggestion, think I paid around $50 in shipping. I can say for sure that the engine zips over faster than it ever has. The denso is massive, and just the solenoid/gear half is the size of the motor on my old starter, with the motor being even larger. My new starter cable is 3/0 sgx and I had to put the lug on the starter terminal before installing the starter.

Edit: new vs old

Old 03-04-2018, 09:07 AM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
I admit the Denso is impressive and listening to the video you can definitely hear a much quicker turn over than I have now.
Might take a while before I can afford that upgrade though.
Thanks, I will keep the recommendations on file.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:55 AM
donnybrasco
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll chime in! I was convinced by Sous's video. I pulled the trigger on the DENSO TS428000-8420 from nationsstarteralternator.com. $309.95 with FREE shipping. I will find out this week if this is the real deal or some expensive cheap version.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:29 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Originally Posted by donnybrasco
I'll chime in! I was convinced by Sous's video. I pulled the trigger on the DENSO TS428000-8420 from nationsstarteralternator.com. $309.95 with FREE shipping. I will find out this week if this is the real deal or some expensive cheap version.
Keep us apprised, it says 'original Denso' so it best not be a knock off!

Old 03-05-2018, 08:47 AM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
I see Amazon sells the Chinese version for $98. Of course all the comments mention having to grind the frame and some having to extend factory wiring to get them to fit.
Looking at the pictures Sous posted there shouldn't be any need to grind the frame so these knock-offs must be slightly larger.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:54 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Jim, I had read about grinding the bracket and what not, I did not see this when I was mounting the Denso in my truck. The wiring was fine, it was tight and a bit difficult to work with at first, but once I figured out a path to completion, it was not a big deal. I removed the battery connections prior to installing the starter, so that I would not accidentally short the positive.

The only word of advice I would give is to get slightly longer mounting bolts. The mounting surface of the Denso is about twice as thick as the OEM.

There is a lot of information in the thread linked below, but most of the Denso related stuff starts on page 8.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...has-begun.html

A picture taken from that thread shows the bolt in question.

OEM, 35mm, 40mm

This is a picture of the 45mm bolts I used, but the application may be different for the automatic 4R100 trucks. My truck has a manual ZF6 and all of the holes go completely through. You can see that this 45mm bolt barely comes out the back, if I had used the OEM 30mm, it would have just barely been in the mounting surface.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:32 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
I bought a cheapie ebay offset starter. Installed it on 7/20/2016 and have 24570 miles on it with no problems. I did not have the funds at the time for an expensive one so I tried it. The listing I bought is gone but this is the same pictures and seller. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-For...cAAOSwj1hagg42 The title is van but he lists all the applications below. I agree the genuine denso is probably better but this would be a low budget option. I did have to lengthen the trigger wire which you may also have to do with the denso I am not sure.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:49 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI The factory [OEM] Mitsubishi starter is gear reduction as well known as PLGR Planetary Gear Reduction they came with 2.5KW & 3.6KW options, The Denso Starters are OSGR Offset Gear Reduction,They come in 2.5 KW & 4KW option.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:15 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Originally Posted by crop harvester
FYI The factory [OEM] Mitsubishi starter is gear reduction as well known as PLGR Planetary Gear Reduction they came with 2.5KW & 3.6KW options, The Denso Starters are OSGR Offset Gear Reduction,They come in 2.5 KW & 4KW option.
Can you tell which size they are by looking at them or testing them if there are no identification stickers?

Quick Reply: Starter Recommendations