6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Died no restart

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 05:13 PM
Rowdyrabbit
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Died no restart

2006 F250 with 94,000 miles. The truck started fine, I pulled out of the store and got about 1/4 mile down the highway when it shut down. No sputter that I could feel, just like turning off the key. Turns over fine, but won’t ever hit at all.

I have FORScan, but I don’t know exactly which PIDs I need to diagnose it. I’ve done a little searching and checked what I saw through my searches. Oil pressure on the dash doesn’t move when cranking. I cannot find an oil pressure PID. FICM_VPWR and FICM_LPWR both show 11.00 with key on but not cranking. They both drop down a little below 11 while cranking. FICM_MPWR shows 48.00. IPR% is 14.84, but goes up to nearly 85 while cranking. Battery shows a little under 12. This is after several attempts to restart to get out of the middle of the highway and sitting on the side with flashers going.

I checked codes first and had a code for both cam and crank position sensors. These were my first guesses. But, I cleared the codes to attempt to narrow it down and neither came back on. Engine light has been on for a glow plug code that I haven’t fixed.

Is this enough information to diagnose anything? What other PIDs do I need to check, if any? Please excuse my ignorance on the matter. I can swap parts, but don’t know enough about diesel trucks to diagnose. I’ve been around diesel equipment, and am fairly familiar, but not truck engines.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Rowdyrabbit; 03-02-2018 at 05:16 PM. Reason: info
Old 03-02-2018, 06:06 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If the needle won't budge on the dash, I would think you are not getting oil up top.
Try this test, using the starter wire on the fender under the hood. All that cranking is hard on the FICM cranking with the ignition key. Keep those batteries up. If you must crank a lot to diagnose take the FICM relay out.

If you are getting oil up top in the housing, then you are likely looking at a leak on the HPO side, but check the LPO side first. Might be as simple as a stick regulator check valve down below.
at any rate, with the IPR calling for full on oil at 85% whilst cranking you are short on oil somewhere.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:47 PM
Rowdyrabbit
Junior User
Does it not hurt the engine in any way to crank with no oil up top? Again, forgive my ignorance on it. If it is an oil issue, is there a sensor or something that keeps the engine from starting without oil?

Lastly, where do I find the starter wire that you mentioned?

Thanks for your help. I'm sure hoping it's something simple, but preparing for it not to be.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:22 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Rowdyrabbit
Does it not hurt the engine in any way to crank with no oil up top? Again, forgive my ignorance on it. If it is an oil issue, is there a sensor or something that keeps the engine from starting without oil?

Lastly, where do I find the starter wire that you mentioned?

Thanks for your help. I'm sure hoping it's something simple, but preparing for it not to be.
Not really a sensor issue if you are not getting oil where it needs to be.You won't hurt anything really at this point, just don't crank more than 15 seconds at a time without letting the starter cool down.
Here is a good vid, used with the key OFF.............if you don't have oil up top it's likely an issue with the LPO pump or perhaps the regulator.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:32 PM
Rowdyrabbit
Junior User
Pulled the oil filter, touched the starter wire to the battery and it started filling up. The only thing strange about it is that I did not have to push the plunger down to let the oil in. The videos I watched showed pushing the plunger in the back down to allow oil in, but it came in mine without.

Now on that I know the oil is getting there, what do I try next?

I really appreciate the help on this. I'd be in trouble without it.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:49 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Does the oil drain back down on it's own? Does it fill up all the way without foaming or bubbles?

What brand oil filter are you using

Old 03-02-2018, 09:55 PM
Rowdyrabbit
Junior User
It drained back out fairly quickly on its own. The oil was bubbly. Motorcraft filter.

When end I changed the oil for the first time right after buying it, I found the previous owner had used a NAPA filter. I bought a motorcraft filter and a new filter cap, and filled up with synthetic Rotella.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:56 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mind did the same exact thing a few years back. Ended up being a failed IPR valve. Some debris went through the screen and jammed the valve.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:06 PM
Rowdyrabbit
Junior User
Originally Posted by Powerstroke_wannabe
Mind did the same exact thing a few years back. Ended up being a failed IPR valve. Some debris went through the screen and jammed the valve.
Was it a difficult or costly fix?

Old 03-02-2018, 10:46 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in a hurry at the time and let a local truck shop diagnose and repair. They quoted me around $700 to repair but I had them do some additional work and ended up costing North of that. Bear in mind that quote was several years ago. I will also say my truck had been puffing a little white smoke on occasion on acceleration for several months before the IPR valve seized. Can you monitor your injection pressure during start? If it doesn't hit 500 psi or more the injectors will not fire.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:59 PM
Rowdyrabbit
Junior User
Maybe. I can monitor whatever forscan and torque lite will show.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:56 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
The anti drain back valve is the little one at about the 1 o'clock position. You are saying you did NOT depress this and it still fills up?
Something doesn't add up there.
Crank it about 15 seconds with the filter in, does the needle move at all on the dash?
It doesn't take that much pressure to send the needle up halfway.

Those crank/cam codes might be caused from all the cranking so just ignore those for now

Old 03-03-2018, 08:52 AM
Rowdyrabbit
Junior User
I checked it again just now. When I turn the key on, the oil pressure needle barely moves, but not up to the bottom line of the gauge. It stays there as long as the key is on. Key off, it drops. When trying to start, it stays in the on position, but does not move up or show to be building pressure.

Then I pulled the filter and checked again. Touch the wire to the battery and it fills right up. It drains back out after I stop. I took a video if I can figure out how to post it.

Its due for an oil change and fuel filters. I’ve got the oil, but rain has kept me from changing. I was going to get fuel filters yesterday, but it quit before I had a chance.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:09 AM
Rowdyrabbit
Junior User
I don’t think I can get the video to work. I’m trying to upload it from my phone, but it is too big. I don’t know how to convert it to a different file type that would be smaller.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:06 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Rowdyrabbit
I checked it again just now. When I turn the key on, the oil pressure needle barely moves, but not up to the bottom line of the gauge. It stays there as long as the key is on. Key off, it drops. When trying to start, it stays in the on position, but does not move up or show to be building pressure.

Then I pulled the filter and checked again. Touch the wire to the battery and it fills right up. It drains back out after I stop. I took a video if I can figure out how to post it.

Its due for an oil change and fuel filters. I’ve got the oil, but rain has kept me from changing. I was going to get fuel filters yesterday, but it quit before I had a chance.
Did it go up about half way before this all started?

Take a look at this vid, shows how to check the plunger and spring down on the LPO pump

Quick Reply: Died no restart