2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Wheel center cap removal tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:52 AM
blueglide
Senior User
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Wheel center cap removal tool

Anyone have or use one of these to remove the center caps on their SD wheels?? Have not tried the ratchet strap trick and would prefer a simple tool like one of these if they work.

The second tool is made by OTC tools and is similar to a slap hammer....kinda pricey tho!

Old 02-28-2018, 08:03 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I use a pry bar.......with a cloth between pry bar and rim so it doesn't scratch.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:04 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Now of course i'm assuming center caps haven't changed the way they mount in 2017 lol

Old 02-28-2018, 08:13 AM
blueglide
Senior User
Originally Posted by sxrfun
I use a pry bar.......with a cloth between pry bar and rim so it doesn't scratch.
Front caps I don't anticipate much problem...much easier to access. Rear duallies are another question...haven't had to pull mine yet but would prefer not to tear them up alongside the road. Some say the hook on the jack handle works and others have fought for hours unsuccessfully using the jack handle.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:58 AM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 SD caps come off easily with the Ford provided tool in the jack tools. Not like my 2005 F150 where the caps are on super tight.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:49 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by blueglide
Anyone have or use one of these to remove the center caps on their SD wheels?? Have not tried the ratchet strap trick and would prefer a simple tool like one of these if they work.
The second tool is made by OTC tools and is similar to a slap hammer....kinda pricey tho!
I don't think either of those would fit into the slots on my KR with 20" wheels. I made my own (click link below) which slips onto my OEM lug wrench, and then pry with the wrench against the tire's sidewall.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...7&d=1513977145

Old 02-28-2018, 05:31 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,667 Likes on 2,740 Posts
I poo pooed the idea of needing a tool other than the OEM lug wrench. The OEM lug wrench does work well. I've used it twice on all four wheels on my truck. But, I think I want a tool that sits in my toolbox so I don't need to get under the back seat, undo the tool pouch and get out the lug wrench. Yeah, that's too much work. Seriously, I'm not going to do it again. I'll follow this thread to see what you come up with. The DIY tool that cficare made brought to mind a paint can opener. But the hook on that is probably not deep enough and probably not wide enough either to keep from damaging the hub cap.

Will this tool work?

Old 02-28-2018, 05:44 PM
blueglide
Senior User
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I poo pooed the idea of needing a tool other than the OEM lug wrench. The OEM lug wrench does work well. I've used it twice on all four wheels on my truck. But, I think I want a tool that sits in my toolbox so I don't need to get under the back seat, undo the tool pouch and get out the lug wrench. Yeah, that's too much work. Seriously, I'm not going to do it again. I'll follow this thread to see what you come up with. The DIY tool that cficare made brought to mind a paint can opener. But the hook on that is probably not deep enough and probably not wide enough either to keep from damaging the hub cap.

Will this tool work?

I thought about getting one of those...curious on others experiences with one like that also.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:51 PM
blueglide
Senior User
Originally Posted by cficare
I don't think either of those would fit into the slots on my KR with 20" wheels. I made my own (click link below) which slips onto my OEM lug wrench, and then pry with the wrench against the tire's sidewall.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...7&d=1513977145
That looks like a good solution.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:06 PM
Bill_The_PA
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought about getting one of those...curious on others experiences with one like that also.
looks like a $2 tool. Bend a screwdriver spot weld a socket and a plastidip. Looks like I’ve got a project for tomorrow. Thankx

Old 02-28-2018, 07:27 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
I know that tool is way too large to fit in the narrow area between the cap and my wheel on my KR 20" wheels, but it may work on a DRW truck. The OEM lug wrench only fits if I push it in hard, which will eventually rip or tear that plastic-dip cover on the prybar end.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:47 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Center Cap Removal Tool update

Originally Posted by cficare
I don't think either of those would fit into the slots on my KR with 20" wheels. I made my own which slips onto my OEM lug wrench, and then pry with the wrench against the tire's sidewall.
UPDATE - I finally got around to taking a photo of this tool being used when I removed the front wheels to install Rancho adjustable shock absorbers.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:03 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
flat head...

Old 06-23-2018, 08:31 PM
tfsiii
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if all wheels have the opening, but my 18 inch chrome wheels have 2 square cutouts at the base of the cap located opposite each other. When I tried to insert a metal tool carefully into that opening, I slightly knicked the wheel ZX$#@! I got a flathead tool, and wrapped the tip in rubber tape . Needs to be big enough to go into hole and pry that side away, then work the tool around , or go into the opposite hole . I would imagine all the wheels have these same cutouts for removing caps. good luck - Tom

Old 06-23-2018, 08:34 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by BII Plow Truck
2017 SD caps come off easily with the Ford provided tool in the jack tools. Not like my 2005 F150 where the caps are on super tight.
I guess I'm just a dumb ol' bos'n mate, 'cause I sure can't get the rear hubcap off with any tool provided by Ford.

Quick Reply: Wheel center cap removal tool