1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

leaky brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 04:44 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts
leaky brakes

tried bleeding brakes today and went without too many problems... got a full pedal..

looked later and I'm seeing drips of brake fluid under the calipers... determined it coming from the banjo connection at the caliper.. Using SS flex hoses to banjo bolt... with copper washers on each side and screwed into caliper...

everything is 'tight'... like right before stripping tight... I suspected copper washers... changed those... drip...drip...

I'm using copper washers from a "storehouse" assortment box... wondering if I need to go to NAPA or better supplier and find something better (i.e. without a leak built in )

ideas ???
john

Old 02-22-2018, 05:12 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
A couple things come to mind. Do the washers have serrations or rings around the flat sealing surfaces? Are the washers soft copper? They should be easily nicked or bent. If they are not application specific, I would suspect them. Are you sure the bolts thru the banjo fittings are not bottoming out?

Old 02-23-2018, 02:45 AM
TitusDH
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might try to soften the copper washers with a torch until red hot. I do this with any suspicious copper washer if do not know for sure they are soft right out of the box. This procedure has serverd me well many times.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:56 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 124 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by TitusDH
You might try to soften the copper washers with a torch until red hot. I do this with any suspicious copper washer if do not know for sure they are soft right out of the box. This procedure has serverd me well many times.
Annealing the copper is a good tip!

Old 02-23-2018, 05:11 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does sound like you are bottoming out with the bolts. Might try some thicker copper washers. John I may not comment very often but I have enjoyed watching and keeping an eye on your build.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:01 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,824 Likes on 1,831 Posts
Awesome info! I never would have thought to try annealing the washers. I might have thought to check for bottoming out.....maybe, after much cussing

Bobby

Old 02-23-2018, 10:06 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
I"m gonna anneal mine tomorrow and check the depth in the caliper... then figure out what to do if it is bottoming out... they are the same bolts that were in the calipers, but you never know.... gonna be messy

j

Old 02-24-2018, 02:50 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
seems like the annealing worked... used new washers and heated them cherry red, let them cool and installed... no leaks so far.,,.,. now bleed them all again

thanks for the advice, Titus

Old 02-24-2018, 04:37 PM
Steve Bennett
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Good news John. I had a persistent leak at the master cylinder (under the truck of course) during building. Funny thing was after I finished the truck and started driving it and exercising the pedal, my leak stopped completely. Have not added a drop of brake fluid since I finished the truck almost 6 years ago. As a side note, I got my confirmation card for CTC 2018 in the mail today. Entrant #572. Inspired me to get the '54 out for a 10 mile cruise and warm up to change the oil and get ready for Spring Car Shows. You going to have that gorgeous truck ready for Cruisin' the Coast? We'll definitely have to run the streets together. Looking good, Steve

Old 02-24-2018, 04:59 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,824 Likes on 1,831 Posts
John,
I'm glad that you got the leak(s) fixed. If you can every get in touch with Murphy tell him he owes you a quart of brake fluid.

A year or so ago I had the front clip to my truck off and did some major modifications to my steering. I'm running the Toyota power steering box. I didn't have any issues with the box before. I even had the box off of the truck to fabricate new brackets, etc. So, once I got it all back together, steering box bolted back in place, everything attached and front clip back on... you guessed it. I've developed a leak at the input shaft of the box. AAAGH! Curses on you Murphy!

Bobby

Old 02-24-2018, 10:03 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett
Good news John. I had a persistent leak at the master cylinder (under the truck of course) during building. Funny thing was after I finished the truck and started driving it and exercising the pedal, my leak stopped completely. Have not added a drop of brake fluid since I finished the truck almost 6 years ago. As a side note, I got my confirmation card for CTC 2018 in the mail today. Entrant #572. Inspired me to get the '54 out for a 10 mile cruise and warm up to change the oil and get ready for Spring Car Shows. You going to have that gorgeous truck ready for Cruisin' the Coast? We'll definitely have to run the streets together. Looking good, Steve
that sounds like fun Steve.... glad you got the weather to cooperate... CTC might be a possibility just need to see how things shape up.. should finish insulation tomorrow or monday, then start on wiring. Once I get the engine wired and it's road worthy (or at least trailer worthy) it goes to the muffler shop for a X-pipe system... then to upholstery man... turning a corner... hope you and wife are well..., watch out for weather this weekend

john