1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New truck new problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 03:20 PM
Missymay
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New truck new problems

Just picked up an 03 F250 v10 xlt. A couple small things wrong with it but now I’m wondering if they are all related. Door locks don’t work on driver or passenger side (won’t even click) auto lights don’t come on by themselves and in the morning the truck starts but as soon as I hit the gas it dies until I mess around with the (aftermarket) alarm then it runs like a champ until the next morning so it doesn’t seem like it’s mechanical. I want a new alarm anyway so I made an appointment and had them disconnect the alarm for now so I’ll see what it does tomorrow morning. I’ve seen that the BSM/VSM can cause issues with the locks and lights. Are these all related? Where is the VSM/BSM? How can I test it? How does After market alarms tie into it?

Old 02-21-2018, 08:13 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Step 1, remove the aftermarket garbage alarm. Then see if you still have those issues.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:18 PM
Missymay
New User
Originally Posted by Evan_P
Step 1, remove the aftermarket garbage alarm. Then see if you still have those issues.

It was disconnected. The locks still don’t work. I have power to the switch so I’m going to try the actuator foil trick posted on here tomorrow. I’ll have to see what happens when I start it in the morning as far as the stalling. In having them install a viper alarm in a week so I’d like to fix the locks before then at least.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:48 AM
Missymay
New User
Ok well I guess the alarm wasn’t disconnected cause this morning I opened my door and the alarm went off. Took me forever to get it to shut off. Starting the truck didn’t even stop it. I let it warm up for awhile and hitting the gas still killed it. Turned t off and back on a few times and now it’s working great. Since it’s only in the morning it doesn’t sound like a mechanical issue but I’ll check the fuel filter this weekend. Back to the alarm shop to have them rip the damn thing out!

Old 02-22-2018, 10:19 AM
dynocompe
Senior User
all your issues sound like they are from the alarm, so yes get it fixed and if done right i would expect all to be well

Old 02-22-2018, 10:20 AM
dynocompe
Senior User
alarms tie into your door locks

Old 02-23-2018, 08:02 AM
Missymay
New User
Alarm is out. I’m guessing it is shorting somewhere because they showed me where they disconnected the power. They had to take the whole thing out. It still had trouble this morning starting. I’m going to try the temp coolant sensor and fuel filter. It’s just odd that it only does this in the morning. I’m thinking the coolant temp sensor makes sense.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:10 AM
dynocompe
Senior User
You never said you had trouble starting. But I think that’s an unrelated issue. Try plugging the truck in next time. See how it starts then. It will help focus where the problem lies

Old 02-23-2018, 08:13 AM
dynocompe
Senior User
I like to change the fuel filter on anything used I buy same with oil and such. But I wouldn’t just start throwing parts at the truck. That’s what the forums are for, figure out the issue and replace parts that are actually needed.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:14 AM
Missymay
New User
Originally Posted by dynocompe
You never said you had trouble starting. But I think that’s an unrelated issue. Try plugging the truck in next time. See how it starts then. It will help focus where the problem lies
it starts fine but dies when I hit the gas. I thought it might be the alarm cause when I messed around with it it would be fine. I don’t have problems the rest of the day just first thing in the morning. It’s not throwing any codes when it dies and my reader doesn’t do real-time.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:15 AM
dynocompe
Senior User
What are the temps in the morning? Stiction on the injectors cause hard coldstarts, a bad glow plug. Do you have a check engine light on?

Old 02-23-2018, 08:16 AM
dynocompe
Senior User
Ohh gas haha sorry was thinking it was a diesel

Old 02-23-2018, 08:17 AM
dynocompe
Senior User
I would pull a plug and see how they look

Old 02-23-2018, 08:18 AM
dynocompe
Senior User
Clean maf sensor, throttle body. That is a good start

Old 02-23-2018, 08:22 AM
dynocompe
Senior User
I can’t see an alarm affectIng a cold start. I have only installed plain Jane ones on older vehicles. But nothing would make a rough cold start. I think it’s unrelated. But was related to your door lock issue.

Quick Reply: New truck new problems