1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Fuel economy on '09 e350

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 10:32 AM
abbyC
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel economy on '09 e350

Hi.

My 2009 e350 seems to be getting terrible fuel economy of late. It seems to be 6-7 miles to the gallon. I'm pretty sure it has gotten worse only recently. I brought it to the mechanic and he said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Is this usual? It has over 140000 miles on it at this point.

We are also in need of getting the front brake pads and rotors replaced, and the lower ball joints on the steering wheel, along with a full alignment including caster and camber. Altogether costs over $700. A few months ago we did a tune up and replaced spark plugs, costing about 400. Is this just going to be a continual spiral of constant repairs? Is it worth starting to look at something newer? I would love people's insights and opinions. I'm out of a job currently, and the thought of the costs of repairs makes me somewhat nervous.

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by abbyC
Hi.

My 2009 e350 seems to be getting terrible fuel economy of late. It seems to be 6-7 miles to the gallon. I'm pretty sure it has gotten worse only recently. I brought it to the mechanic and he said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Is this usual? It has over 140000 miles on it at this point.

We are also in need of getting the front brake pads and rotors replaced, and the lower ball joints on the steering wheel, along with a full alignment including caster and camber. Altogether costs over $700. A few months ago we did a tune up and replaced spark plugs, costing about 400. Is this just going to be a continual spiral of constant repairs? Is it worth starting to look at something newer? I would love people's insights and opinions. I'm out of a job currently, and the thought of the costs of repairs makes me somewhat nervous.

Thanks!
A 1 ton truck or van is a business investment. And if you’re jobless, you definitely want to look for other forms of transportation. This should not be looked at as a vehicle but instead as a business machine. At that age and mileage, yes many things will start going bad. If they haven’t already. Everything you mentioned seems normal for what I’ve learned about Ford vans in real life and on this forum.
Ball joints, brakes, next up will be your catalytic converters and HVAC blower. 50-50 chance of air-conditioning problems. If your radiator has plastic tanks, I would expect those to go bad in a couple of years. Ignition coils, definitely soon. Radius arm bushings and sway bar bushings. Shocks. Yeah, expect to spend a lot of money on that van for the next two years. If you can do it your self for some of these things, then it’s not so bad.However, your fuel mileage is off the charts bad. I suspect you’re not actually “charting” it though. Have you done actual measurements? My E350 has a V10, what does yours have? With lots of highway miles I can squeeze 400 miles out of a full tank, but that is running it scary low. Usually 350 to 375 miles is normal. Have you actually done measurements of the fuel economy?

Old 02-21-2018, 12:07 PM
abbyC
New User
Wow

Wow. Your message scares me a bit.i would love to drive something smaller but with, thank G-d eight kids that is not really an option.

Would you recommend replacing it as a better option? Will costs of repairs outweigh costs of something newer? Any other suggestions?
I am a basing the mileage on the odometer based on how far I get between fill ups .a lot of
my driving is carpools so I do idle more than I would like to.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:07 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Older, higher mileage vehicles will require more maintenance regardless of what they are. These vans are pretty durable as they are designed for long service lives in fleets. That said, things do wear out and break over time. Swapping it for something else, without investing a considerable money to buy a much newer vehicle, is likely to simply be trading one set of problems for another.

It would help to know what engine is in your van. There are a vast array of things that can cause poor mileage. And poor mileage can cause other problems, like ruining your catalytic converter.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:23 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Clubwagon adds much wisdom in his post.

I dont mean to scare you. But yeah it’s all true. Your van is nearly a decade old and weighs 6,000lbs and has driven the equivalent of 4.25 times around the Earth. If you think there’s a low cost option you are definitely dreaming

the good news is that everything (pretty much) is predictable on these vans. We can pretty much tell you what will fail and when.

Your best bet is to keep it and plan to spend money on it. Every divorced man will tell you “it’s cheaper to keep her” and it applies to your E350 also.

Is it paid off or do you have monthly payments?
What engine is in it?
what maintenance/ repairs HAVE been done?

Old 02-21-2018, 03:26 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
I had an uncle that used to tell me as a kid that he could sell me to the gypsies for cash.
With 8 kids, maybe you should look into that

Get you some cash in your Van Maintenance budget.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:33 PM
abbyC
New User
I'm not 100% sure but does v 6 engine 5.6 l make any sense at all for engine size? As far as what has been done recently. We had the spark plugs replaced, just did the front rotors and brake pads today and replaced the lower mount today and got a caster camber alignment. Over the past year we replaced the a/c blower and one of the a/c pipes. A few other minor repairs also.

Also it is fully paid for

Old 02-21-2018, 04:41 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by abbyC
I'm not 100% sure but does v 6 engine 5.6 l make any sense at all for engine size? As far as what has been done recently. We had the spark plugs replaced, just did the front rotors and brake pads today and replaced the lower mount today and got a caster camber alignment. Over the past year we replaced the a/c blower and one of the a/c pipes. A few other minor repairs also.

Also it is fully paid for
so you own the van, and you’ve already knocked four or five things off the list. Definitely keep it.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:36 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Speaking realistically, a 2009 isn't that old but its approaching 10 years and at that age it will require a step up in maintenance. Again, these are very durable vehicles, are easily serviced and parts are fairly cheap.

There are likely 3 engines that could be in your van. You mentioned V6 and 5.6. The possibilities are: a 4.2 liter V6, a 4.6 liter V8 and a 5.4 liter V8. My best guess would be either the 4.2 V6 or 5.4 V8.

With either of those engines, at 6-7 mpg you are at half of what would be normal gas mileage. Any competent mechanic would be able to diagnose a 50% drop in mileage.

Is your "check engine" light on? If so, reading the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) that caused the light would be step 1.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:59 PM
abbyC
New User
Check engine light is not on. Before we replaced the spark plugs it did turn on and the mechanic said it was an oxygen sensor but without replacing that the check engine light went off after the spark plugs were replaced. (within a day or so)

Old 02-21-2018, 07:21 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Have you checked the mileage since replacing the plugs?

Old 02-21-2018, 08:01 PM
EagleFreek
Senior User
Since it's an E350, V6 or 4.6L would not be an option. It would be a 5.4L V8, 6.8L V10 or a diesel. Since spark plugs have been changed that rules out the diesel.

What makes you think you are getting 6-7 MPG? Are you actually calculating your mpg by filling up the tank and doing the math with miles driven dived by gallons pumped? I get about 12-13 mpg in mine with the 5.4L and a high roof and I'm at the gas station more than I would like. But I put on 1200 miles last week for work.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:23 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
We have yet to hear the nice lady specify if she is actually calculating gas mileage properly. That would be very important.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:29 PM
abbyC
New User
What I did to calculate mileage was reset the odometer when I last filled the tank, and went down to just about 0 and calculated the mileage based on what I saw. I had basically gotten 200 miles to the full tank of gas. Is there another way that I should be calculating mileage?

There is also an electronic display for MPG, which I have not reset recently, but I have noticed that the number keeps on going down. It used to say 11, now it says 9.9. This has happened over the past month or so. Should I reset it next time I fill up and see what it reads?

Old 02-21-2018, 08:46 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
<div style="text-align:left;"> OK I understand, you are doing it two ways. The digital display that tells you the miles per gallon; we call that the lie-o-meter. Because we all assume ford programs it to make the number look a little bit better than it is. And actually, every time I’ve checked one I found it to be pretty accurate. <br /><br /> The other method you’re using is the best method. Fill it up, reset the trip odometer, and then do the math next.<br />So the big question is, how many gallons did it take to refill after you drove 200 miles? That’s the proper way to check it.<br /><br />Nonetheless, 200 miles is pathetic for a full tank of gas in your van. They would indicate a tremendous amount of idling and or city driving and or towing etc. etc. <br /><br /> also, when I say I drive through a full tank of gas, I go scary-low. Maybe you don’t drive the tank is empty as I do. really numbers are the only way to have this conversation. We need to know the exact amount of miles you drive and the exact amount of gallons it takes to refill your tank. </div>

Quick Reply: Fuel economy on '09 e350