1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

51 F5 questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 07:38 AM
kyle70
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
51 F5 questions

Hello everyone my names kyle im new here but i just found an old F5 that me and my wife like i dont know much about these bigger trucks and wanted to know if someone could tell me how they run. i really want to know will the stock inline 6 get out of its own way as my road only connect to a main highway and id like to be able to pull out and not be afraid too. also how are the breaks can you upgrade them or are stock good. we plan to use the truck as a weekend work truck and maybe haul some heavier thing to our camp. this is the one we found and like. Thanks in advance

https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/d/1951-ford-5/6492560280.html

Old 02-17-2018, 11:58 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle70
Hello everyone my name's Kyle. I'm new here but I just found an old F5 that me and my wife like. I don't know much about these bigger trucks and wanted to know if someone could tell me how they run. I really want to know, will the stock inline 6 get out of its own way? My road only connects to a main highway and I'd like to be able to pull out and not be afraid too. Also, how are the brakes? Can you upgrade them or are stock good? We plan to use the truck as a weekend work truck and maybe haul some heavier thing to our camp. This is the one we found and like. Thanks in advance!

https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/d/1951-ford-5/6492560280.html
First let me welcome you to FTE, the best Ford truck forum on the World Wide Web!

I can't answer your questions about how fast a 6 cylinder would pull out from a dead stop with an F5 since I have two V8's. But someone will be along soon that has experience with 6 bangers.

It is a great looking truck with a great color. I think the asking price is decent and he will take best offer.

Here are two pics from the ad:

Old 02-17-2018, 12:19 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Hello Kyle, welcome from another member from Maine.

I've been watching this truck on Craigslist for a long time. Just to see if it ever sells and what his price might end up being.

OK, to start with these 1.5-ton trucks were originally designed to be farm trucks with very little highway use. They were used on local roads and not intended for high speeds or long distances for the most part. The engine only has 95hp. The 4-speed gears are not synchronized so all the shifting will require double-clutching. This is not good when merging onto a highway. The brakes are adequate for stopping under certain conditions....such as being clean with new springs, wheel cylinders, linings and plenty of drum steel remaining, and also plenty of stopping distance. You can upgrade them but expect some modifications and a lot of money to do so. You might need new wheels to get proper backspace clearance with modern brake parts. This truck will probably only go 45 mph without straining the engine. The steering and suspension needs to be fully inspected and many new parts will likely be needed to avoid slop and weaving. This alone could add up to many hundreds of dollars to well over 1000 dollars - I've done two of these trucks already with the six cylinder motors- (3/4 ton and 1-ton).

The next buyer of this truck will have to be ready to accept that it is a 67 year old working truck that has to ride on modern roads it wasn't designed for. That will mean having a certain ability to compromise on comfort and utility in order to pull a load. The seller doesn't mention that much work has been done to it, so expect some engine, wiring, tire, rear brake, steering, weatherstripping, and misc other component work to be needed before it is reliable and safe. It's a pretty nice looking truck though. I hope it finds a local buyer so I can see it on the road sometime. But that person might have to spend another 6,000 dollars to get it the way they want. Oh, and six cylinder engine parts are harder to find than 8-cylinder ones.

Hope this helps, Tom

Old 02-17-2018, 02:54 PM
kyle70
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey thanks for the info Tom,
i was looking at a possible engine swap if i bought it. i know most may not like it but the chevy LQ4 and 4L80e trans. my other idea was to put 2.5 ton Rockwells under it and make it a 4x4 . if i get one from a duel rear i can use the upper output for an extra brake or parking brake its an easy mod on a rockwell. but i would need time to get the parts and i think i can make this truck work as is for now. my wife loves the look of it and so do i. i just have never had one of these truck and dont know much about them. id like to at least change the rear end for better speed and braking.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:00 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Post some close up pictures of the wheels. They may be a problem.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:58 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome Kyle!
Yeah, you're not going to get whiplash from acceleration with that 226 six, and that right front wheel looks like a widow maker to me. Got any pics of the rear wheels?

Beautiful looking truck. Maybe a current paint job?

Old 02-17-2018, 09:09 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Kyle,
Welcome Aboard! First off that's a nice looking truck for $6K...I would bet
it's been well cared for. That's half the battle...If it runs & has good brakes & steering... that's a good deal.

You'll have to spend some money on the drive train to be happy on the
highway but if all you want is a nice big truck to help you do some work out at your camp....I think you'd be great.

You are a Mainer... you guys can do anything you put your mind to...
Looking good up there. (We have some great experienced members up there
who could be very motivated by cold beer).

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
(Been to Boothbay Harbor & the Mid Coast - a lot).

Old 02-17-2018, 09:48 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Hi Kyle,
I noticed a few things missing on the engine and engine bay.
Also, the right front fender is made up of two pieces (upper & lower) and that seam is missing...which usually means that a heap of bondo is covering up a typical rust-out area and was painted over. The cab wasn't fully painted inside, and the dash chrome trim was painted over. So I suspect that a quick and cheap surface-only paint job is what we see. Of course the mileage may not be 42,000 but perhaps 142 or 242 since the odometers start at zero at 100,000. Hard to tell without full ownership documents. Worn out parts upon close inspection may reveal the truth. I see some wiring issues too. It's not registered so it would be tough to take it on the road to check suspension & steering feel as well as transmission and engine performance.
But it's a '51 which can look good no matter what. Like Ben said, it all depends on what you will use such a truck for. It sounds like you haven't bought it yet. If you go for a closer look at it, take a bunch of pictures and maybe a video of the engine running sounds, as well as any other info the owner shares, and we can get a better idea of condition.
And if you're really serious about it I could head down that way if you want a 2nd opinion before making an offer.
Tom

Old 02-17-2018, 11:31 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
I’ll add my welcome, and ditto the other guys’ requests for better wheel pictures. If the truck has “widow maker” “Firestone RH-5°” wheels, which is quite likely, the cost of putting it back on the road would go up considerably. Stu

Old 02-18-2018, 12:47 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
I have a 1949 f-4 with a flat head v-8 ....4spd non synchro.....I can tell you I enjoy driving it ...but it's a handful...top speed about 45 mph (that I feel safe going anyway) it goes down the road like a basket ball with a steering wheel.......acceleration?...... it gets out of its way like a 3 legged box turtle........and takes as long to stop as a cartoon anvil falling out of a airplain!....... forget drinking a coffee and driving..... you have to shift as much as you blink!...... all n all...... I love it!..... it's a fun truck and a history lesson about how far we have come!......... hope this helps you.....

Old 02-19-2018, 11:19 AM
tug captian
Cross-Country
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Most likely it will have 6.67 gear ratio. Mine came with a synchro tranny but replaced it anyway with an overdrive version. LQ4 would make it go but winding pretty high even with OD at highway speeds. Even with 42" tall tires I'm in overdrive at 30 mph (1200 rpm). Brake improvement would be highly recommended. I went disks up front with hydroboost on mine. Stops great. it does 60mph ok but that's as high as I want to wind the diesel I installed. Has interesting street manners. Think it comes from the shorter that half spring length drag link. Seems to bump steer especially since rear suspension doesn't give unless well loaded. Tire options are a problem. If it has widow makers then you need to replace the wheels. 19.5" will make your gear ratio worse. 22.5" are hard to come by. I planned on machining some blank 22.5 aluminum forgings but those are only available in 8.25" width. Axles are too narrow to make that much offset work. You can find some lock ring 20's but then your tire choices are very limited. Mainly bias ply with tubes. Different gear ratios available but very pricey. Don't get me wrong I love my F5. Drive it to work at least twice weekly which includes a stretch of highway. There are just issues a buyer needs to be aware of.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:35 PM
50COE
Senior User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
F5 rear diff gear ratio...

I assume this has a single speed rear-end...

If you do decide to keep the original drive train but would like taller gears, Chuck at Chuck's trucks in CT has taller gear sets for your rear diff -- I believe they are new old stock that he told me about when I was kicking around the idea of keeping my stock drivetrain in my F5...

I ended up deciding to go a different route.

best of luck...

Old 02-19-2018, 07:58 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Agree, last time I talked to Chuck about this he had NOS 5.14/1 ring and pinion sets. Stu