6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 DUally 6.7, H&S tuner S&B intake EGR delete DPF delete install, now proble......

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 09:40 PM
MartyF350
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 DUally 6.7, H&S tuner S&B intake EGR delete DPF delete install, now proble......

Been a member for a while, mostly just a reader

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask for help but here goes

Waited till warranty was up at 100k miles. Took my truck to a local recommended shop (I'm kinda out in the boonies, so I do t have much selection, but this shop came recommended by a fair number) and spoke with them about doing the following. I wanted to get rid of the DEF requirement (I've had 4 tank/heater unites replaced under warrenty) also wanted to better my mileage, 13 mpg stinks. As well wanted to do anything I could to help the longevity and health.
The shop recommended
H&S Tuner Install
S&B intake install
DPF delete
EGR delete

Shop seemed very competent and knew what they were talking about, so i pulled the trigger.

Allow me to preface this with this statement. Prior to doing this I had no pre existing issues.

Well all the work is done but now I have this xhaust thumping sound at idle, and only at idle, coming from the tail pipe. Almost kinda like what an old school glass pack sound like at idle. Now the mech isolated it to certain cylinder by shutting off the injector via scan tool, noise goes away, but an obvious mis. Turn it back on miss goes away but the thumping sound comes back, but it's only at idle.Rev the engine it goes away, take the truck for a drive, it goes away, come to a stop and it slowly comes back. Every now and then at idle the sound goes away but it correlates with what I was told was the turbo variable stators adjusting.

Did a compression check and it's good at 360.

Now I'm being told by the same shop I now need a valve job done on the cylinder, that the sound "could" be a result of exhaust valve putting and not seating well (but yet the compression check comes back good) well we all know what that means.

I had the shop finish up the work that was done and I would get back with them and took my truck home. Now it runs great and I can tell a noticeable difference in performance, and again, no exhaust thumping noise, only at idle.

Any thoughts on this guy's?

ALSO what would be a fair price on all the work I had done ?
H&S Tuner Install
S&B intake install
DPF delete
EGR delete

Thank you in advance

Old 01-23-2018, 07:37 AM
73F700
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would suggest that this 'problem' has been there for quite some time you just haven't been able to detect it with the DPF in the way of the exhaust.

Personally I would be tempted to leave it until it really causes trouble. You may drive it the way it is for a long time without issue. Perhaps a couple tanks with injector cleaner would be a good idea.

If you have any friends that have the same set up on their truck, have a listen to their exhaust for comparison.

Some people pay extra for that sound

Old 01-23-2018, 07:40 AM
73F700
Senior User
Has the truck ever had an injector replaced? Even if it hasn't you could have someone verify that the PCM has the correct injector codes. I am going through a 6.7 swap right now so I am in the middle of this.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:35 AM
cangim
Postmaster
have you run different levels on with the H&S? I presume it came with a few. perhaps a quick video at idle as well?

As for cost, I spent approximately 1200 for the hardware and tuner to do mine. Didn't do an intake though. Took me 5ish hours to remove exhaust, install block offs and set it up.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:25 PM
MartyF350
Freshman User
ok heres an update

to answer a few questions, it has had an injector replaced(#8) a few yrs ago, but not the subject cylinder (7) pulled a code of the computer of P0281 which comes back as cylinder 7 contribution balance fault and this confirms when we turned off #7 and the thumping went away.

So we replaced the injector....................did not fix Grrrrrr!!!

like I said its only at idle, and around 1000rpm the thumping goes away. As well when at a stop light, the engine idles a bit different like its adjusting something and the thumping goes away for about 30 sec, but after the engine is done adjusting, it comes back. There is no engine sound, thumping, knocking or anything coming from the engine, and as stated earlier, before doing all this work, there was no thumping.

Here is a video.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:38 PM
73F700
Senior User
If it were me I would remove the tuner (return to stock tuning) and see if it runs right. I haven't heard of it happening before but it might be that your H&S tuner has a bug in it that is messing up the no7 injector pulse.

If it runs right then you could try reloading and going with a different tune (power level) or else you could have the tuner re-flashed or repaired somehow.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:02 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Even if you load the stock tuning keeping it deleted, I think it will start just show reduced power screen immediately, that’d be quick check.

Quick compare, this is mine deleted no muffler(s)

I can hear a different thump in yours as you have described

Old 01-23-2018, 06:53 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
It's still there above 1000rpm just hidden. My money is on Valve issue.
Sounds like an air compressor !! You can have a valve problem and still show good compression. It was probably doing this before delete, just easier to hear now.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:22 PM
MartyF350
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cangim
Even if you load the stock tuning keeping it deleted, I think it will start just show reduced power screen immediately, that’d be quick check.

Quick compare, this is mine deleted no muffler(s)
https://youtu.be/GRDvcrmHo0A

I can hear a different thump in yours as you have described
You are correct, I did reload the oem stock and it went to reduced power right away. The thumping sound was still there, but was less prominent due to the louder rushing of air. So it's was still there.

I'm leaning more and more like it was there priviously, just couldn't hear it like what a few have mentioned.

Well I'm getting a quote on a rebuilt head...
Eeesh.

Figures, I just paid it off.

Thanks all.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:47 PM
willydmax
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't be surprised if having the head rebuilt may save you an engine in the future. The 2011s had valve issues that usually ended catastrophically. Hopefully this will prevent that.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:51 PM
MartyF350
Freshman User
Originally Posted by willydmax
I wouldn't be surprised if having the head rebuilt may save you an engine in the future. The 2011s had valve issues that usually ended catastrophically. Hopefully this will prevent that.
Wonder if I should have both done? Or just do one and if the thumping comes back from the other side have it done.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:59 PM
willydmax
Senior User
Originally Posted by MartyF350
Wonder if I should have both done? Or just do one and if the thumping comes back from the other side have it done.

If my memory serves me correctly it's usually the drivers side head that had the issues... possibly because Ford had the brainwave to send fuel for regen only through that side on exhaust stroke.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:01 PM
MartyF350
Freshman User
And it's the left head, #7 issues

Old 01-24-2018, 06:49 PM
willydmax
Senior User
Keep us posted on how the repair goes

Old 01-26-2018, 06:21 PM
jfritz_drfritz
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could that be piston slap?

Quick Reply: 2011 DUally 6.7, H&S tuner S&B intake EGR delete DPF delete install, now proble......