Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

SYNC Software update v2.3

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 02:20 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SYNC Software update v2.3

Has anyone installed this Software update v2.3 and did it cause any issues?

Am having trouble with format .M3U playlists and SYNC support recommended installing it. Does it erase address data from your Navigation favorite destinations or do anything else weird?

Playlists not appearing in the menu is a small problem to me...everything else works so am hesitant to break it. Whenever we install home PC updates, things often screw up without warning. Don't really need a vehicle computer to swear at also.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:25 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
I guess that's another reason not to have a navigation system in my truck. I use Google Maps straight out of my phone which has all the favorite locations. I never have to fear losing all my favorite spots in the navigation system.

My Benz had navigation and something messed up during the navigation update so I had to reset it and it wiped out everything.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:06 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Lariat
Has anyone installed this Software update v2.3 and did it cause any issues?

Am having trouble with format .M3U playlists and SYNC support recommended installing it. Does it erase address data from your Navigation favorite destinations or do anything else weird?

Playlists not appearing in the menu is a small problem to me...everything else works so am hesitant to break it. Whenever we install home PC updates, things often screw up without warning. Don't really need a vehicle computer to swear at also.
Come on.....go for it. Lol

The worse thing that could happen is that you`ll have to input that NAV info again.

Don`t be scared.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:59 AM
oldakerw
Mountain Pass
Nav App Better

Originally Posted by Wiggums
I guess that's another reason not to have a navigation system in my truck. I use Google Maps straight out of my phone which has all the favorite locations. I never have to fear losing all my favorite spots in the navigation system.

My Benz had navigation and something messed up during the navigation update so I had to reset it and it wiped out everything.
I agree that Google Maps or Waze are far better than auto OEM systems. The good news is, as I understand it, is a vehicle with Sync 3 will be able to run Android Auto or Apple Car which in turn allows smartphone app Google or Waze to display on your big screen.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:51 PM
tuckr2
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oldakerw
I agree that Google Maps or Waze are far better than auto OEM systems. The good news is, as I understand it, is a vehicle with Sync 3 will be able to run Android Auto or Apple Car which in turn allows smartphone app Google or Waze to display on your big screen.
Hmmm, haven’t figured out yet how to get WAZE to display on my Nav screen. The voice portion runs but once I turn on Apple Car Play it defaults to Google. Suggestions?

Old 01-21-2018, 07:29 AM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tuckr2
Hmmm, haven’t figured out yet how to get WAZE to display on my Nav screen. The voice portion runs but once I turn on Apple Car Play it defaults to Google. Suggestions?
Exactly what I’m experiencing even with update.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:54 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
More than likely you`re going to have to wait until 3.0 is officially release or maybe even 3.1.

I`ve been reading that WAZE will be an independent app that`ll work through SYNC.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:19 PM
BlackNBack
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure how it is with Apple Car Play, but with Android Auto it defaults to Google Maps, but there's an small arrow to the right you can press to get a dropdown menu to choose Waze instead.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:44 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
so I downloaded the update on a USB Drive successfully, and followed the instructions...inserted it in the vehicle port while running, and wait an hour or so without turning off the vehicle. Message on screen says "updating System Software". Took a 4hr trip, and 4hrs later same message. Seems to be constipated. After shutting down vehicle for 10 min, I still have version 1 loaded, not 2.3. Anyone had this issue?

What is the trick to make it install ???

Old 01-21-2018, 05:33 PM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I believe this is due to the fact you are using an Apple product and not due to a sync issue.

I do recall that Apple will not let you use another navigation app on CarPlay than Apple maps (even though you can use Waze on the phone itself). This was one of the reasons I decided to switch over to an android phone (something I actually wish I had done years ago!)

Unless something has changed recently, i still believe this is the case.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:33 PM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Lariat
so I downloaded the update on a USB Drive successfully, and followed the instructions...inserted it in the vehicle port while running, and wait an hour or so without turning off the vehicle. Message on screen says "updating System Software". Took a 4hr trip, and 4hrs later same message. Seems to be constipated. After shutting down vehicle for 10 min, I still have version 1 loaded, not 2.3. Anyone had this issue?

What is the trick to make it install ???
What size thumb drive are you using?

Old 01-21-2018, 07:46 PM
tuckr2
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rikster-7700
I believe this is due to the fact you are using an Apple product and not due to a sync issue.

I do recall that Apple will not let you use another navigation app on CarPlay than Apple maps (even though you can use Waze on the phone itself). This was one of the reasons I decided to switch over to an android phone (something I actually wish I had done years ago!)

Unless something has changed recently, i still believe this is the case.
Thanks. Google works so it’s not a worrisome. When I heard about WAZE I wanted to try it. Downloaded and works as you said on the phone. Not a huge issue and certainly not worth changing over to a different phone for one reason only to have new issues crop up related to android. It’s all good. Someone will figure this out.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:25 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can’t get 2.3 to successfully load. It gives me a MEM_ERR03 error and tells me to call customer service. This is with both a 64gb and 128gb USB card.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:40 PM
KIKKUP
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have tried going from 2.2 to 2.3 over WIFI unsuccessfully. I then downloaded file onto USB and tried that also unsuccessfully. What I did notice is the file deleted itself from the drive. Very strange behavior. I did not remove some MP3s and other files I had on it and they were left alone but SyncMyRide folder and the other two files in the root folder were gone. I will try again using an empty drive. From what I read it looks like it will take up to 1 hour to complete. Ugh... I am not having any problems so don't know what the update will do for me. I think we've all been trained by microsoft to update our software so that's why I'm attempting.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:12 AM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
It does need to be an empty drive, and don't forget to "eject" or unmount your thumb drive before you remove it from your computer. The download also needs to be unzipped and the unzipped files transferred to your thumb drive as they are once unzipped. The update will not work if you monkey around with the file layout. I just had it unzip straight to my thumb drive. One other thing to make sure of is that you try and use a windows computer. People have been having issues with Apples way of unzipping the folders and moving the files around.

If you are feeling froggy, there is a 3.0 version out there you can load. It is not the "official" release, but I can personally state that it works very well, and I did notice a difference with how the system responds post update (plus my favorite part, no more radio blaring out when you disconnect your phone, it just turns off the audio now) There are some threads that discuss this....

Both the 2.3 and the 3.0 updates took around 20-30 minutes for my Expy, this was with a 32GB thumb drive. I have heard that if you try with a smaller drive it can slow the process down. From what I gather the system uses part of your removable memory to store system files and such while it updates.

Needless to say, I can only impart my personal experience and cannot be held liable or responsible is something were to go wrong during your update if you do choose. However, I don't recall hearing of anyone having any issues whatsoever, but I just wanted to make you aware of the possibilities.

Quick Reply: SYNC Software update v2.3