1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

C4 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 03:54 AM
Pladsmand
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C4 transmission

How will you connect the oil cooler to the gearbox, you will first drive through the ordinary cooler and afterwards through additional oil cooler or vice versa? the gearbox is a c4, which exit is in, and which one is out? Thank you in advance, please upload any picture

Old 01-18-2018, 04:49 AM
Smitty49
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Front port is the Pressure fitting and the rear port is the Return.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:59 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't have access to my truck at the moment but I believe I added an extra cooler b4 and then thru the radiator cooler. Here is a link from my little project, there is a pic in it where I drew out the routing from the C4 thru a spin on filter, to the extra cooler then back to the radiator input and then out of the radiator and back to the C4. Kind of confusing but it was not drawn for anything other than for my use. Here is the link to that thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-an-hose.html. I got the Idea from Charlie Led, maybe he, or someone else that has done this, will chime in to verify my thinking, or suggest a better way to do it, I'm no expert by any stretch.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:35 PM
The Outlaw
Senior User
I added a aluminum cooler and mounted it to the side of the frame for my C4. Got the idea from a few others on here and it's worked great and eliminated two more hoses going through the engine bay.

I put a few hundred miles on the truck with that cooler before I started my rebuild and never had any issues.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:06 PM
Pladsmand
Mountain Pass
The outlaw you only use the alumini cooler, are there an fan on the cooler? Is it a cooler as underthebrigdejim has shown in the link

Old 01-18-2018, 02:30 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
Here is the Derale cooler that I used, they make various sizes to meet your requirements. A buddy used a larger capacity unit on his 55 F100 because he had more room to mount it behind the battery under the cab. Derale has a nice inline thermal switch now that I mounted on the input side of the cooler...fan turns on/off automatically based on fluid temp out of the trans. Props to jniolin for finding that switch when he installed this setup on his truck.

Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2018, 02:31 PM
The Outlaw
Senior User
Yes. It's not like the link posted. No fan on mine. No fan on the hem setup either. I'll post the link to the one I bought below.

Trans Cooler Link

Here is a pic of the mock up of mine.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:52 PM
Steve Bennett
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Outlaw I had that same set-up on my '54 F-100 to cool the AOD trans. Fried the trans on the way to the F-100 Supernationals. I now have that same cooler first, then routed to a new radiator with built in cooler and from there to a horizontally mounted cooler under the passenger side floorboard. 4 years and 12,000 miles later and I haven't had any more cooling problems. Good luck with yours, Steve

Old 01-19-2018, 12:56 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I used a longer finned aluminum cooler mounted along the right frame rail. It only requires short hoses to connect to my 4R70W trans which has a built-in temp sensor which is connected to my Baumann controller that will let me know if there is a problem. As I will not be towing anything this should be enough to keep the trans cool.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:31 PM
Pladsmand
Mountain Pass
How long is such a bandit

Old 01-25-2018, 10:44 AM
The Outlaw
Senior User
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett
Outlaw I had that same set-up on my '54 F-100 to cool the AOD trans. Fried the trans on the way to the F-100 Supernationals. I now have that same cooler first, then routed to a new radiator with built in cooler and from there to a horizontally mounted cooler under the passenger side floorboard. 4 years and 12,000 miles later and I haven't had any more cooling problems. Good luck with yours, Steve
Good to know Steve! Thanks for that. I'll certainly be looking into a temp gauge and options to add more cooling.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:31 PM
Pladsmand
Mountain Pass
How mutch Oil Do i have to fil in the c4 transmission

Old 01-30-2018, 02:38 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
https://www.tciauto.com/tc/fluid-capacity/ Here is a chart from jegs, that may help. I don't know where you are on the c4 install, but don't forget to start with ATF in the torque converter if its new or empty, then when you fill the c4 I start with around 4 or 5 qts (if emty) run it thru the gears then quickly check level with motor running, you must allow for the extra fluid the coolers , or non stock pan may require. It usually takes me a few tries b4 I get the level to the cool line on the dip stick, then recheck with trans running up to temp and take it to the hot line on the dip stick, adding as needed. On mine I also used a deep cast pan and added a temp gauge in the cab for piece of mind. Your doing good, keep asking questions as needed

Old 01-30-2018, 03:03 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
https://www.tciauto.com/tc/fluid-capacity/ Here is a chart from jegs, that may help. I don't know where you are on the c4 install, but don't forget to start with ATF in the torque converter if its new or empty, then when you fill the c4 I start with around 4 or 5 qts (if emty) run it thru the gears then quickly check level with motor running, you must allow for the extra fluid the coolers , or non stock pan may require. It usually takes me a few tries b4 I get the level to the cool line on the dip stick, then recheck with trans running up to temp and take it to the hot line on the dip stick, adding as needed. On mine I also used a deep cast pan and added a temp gauge in the cab for piece of mind. Your doing good, keep asking questions as needed
Good link Jimmy. My 4R70W took 9 quarts with the deep pan and extra long cooler.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:19 AM
Pladsmand
Mountain Pass
Thank Jimmy sorry i Think i left the school a bit too early but what du you mean here ,(but don't forget to start with ATF in the torque converter)

Quick Reply: C4 transmission