2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

I hate to do this

Old 01-15-2018, 06:54 PM
bigjeezy86
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to do this

I didn't want to do this. I used the search and nothing came up regarding the coil mod

My 17 PSD with snow plow prep. Yea my western wideout is a bit heavy and so is this diesel lol. I know this was a popular mod back in the day.

Has anyone got the f-550 7000lbs coil springs and did a 2in leveling kit?
I know the 2 top leveling kits are BDS and readylift. "Money wise"
I rather have the blocks on the bottom tho, so I don't want to spend 500$ for a complete bds kit with shocks.
Is rough country any good there 2in level blocks 60$ Pair up with the coils?

I was thinking the coils and 2in level kit should be almost 3in. Than I will buy the track bar. And the brackets for the brake lines .
Idk help me out here?
the ready lift is a sweet kit but I personally don't want the top mount spacers

NOTE: I'm not using any aftermarket wheels or tires. I got the factory 18s stock tires for winter and I got a set of factory 20s platinum rims and tires stock sizes! I'm assuming I don't need the caster adjusters?

Old 01-15-2018, 07:32 PM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Check out Fabtech. I just had a 2” Fabtech leveling kit installed in my 17 F350 and it uses a spacer on the bottom. The 4x4 shop that did my install highly recommended using a Fabtech kit, or anything that Fabtech makes for that matter. I am really impressed with the ride of this truck after the kit was installed and I also had 35x11.5x20” tires put on at the same time. They pushed the Fabtech kit because it was cheaper than most of the rest, very well made and the end result is the same.
You definitely will need an alignment after any leveling kit is installed, I’m not sure if caster adjusters are needed. It probably depends on how far out of spec the truck is. I would also recommend a track bar drop bracket, they did not install one in mine and it is going back on Wednesday to install one because the left front tire sticks quite a bit out of the wheel well and the RF is inside the wheel well.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:10 PM
commtrd
Senior User
Could check Carli suspension components for a lift or level. Far superior to all the others IMHO. Get what you pay for. Also on the caster it would likely be a very good thing to run as much caster as can possibly be dialed in. At least 5* to help stop the death wobble.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:17 PM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Be careful not to go too far on the caster. It will make the truck feel like it is wandering around on road. I was told not to go past about 3-3.5 degrees... I think mine was set at about 1.8 and I haven’t noticed the wobble since my re-alignment.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:28 PM
IA Farmer
New User
I am trying to figure out the same solution you are. I installed a 9'6'' Western V last week and when retracted its only off the ground about 2-3 inches. I was very disappointed. The amount of rake on these new trucks is insane compared to my 2013. I would like to find a coil only replacement and not have a spacer of any kind. I am going to look into Kelderman front airbags possibly. Let me know if you come up with a solution.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:29 PM
F TOO FITTY
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Snowman 8
Check out Fabtech. I just had a 2” Fabtech leveling kit installed in my 17 F350 and it uses a spacer on the bottom.
Let's see that Fabtech leveled F350!

Old 01-16-2018, 07:19 AM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Here it is, I also had a post last week about “yellow work truck”.

Attached Images   
Old 01-16-2018, 08:03 AM
J Standard
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigjeezy86
I didn't want to do this. I used the search and nothing came up regarding the coil mod

My 17 PSD with snow plow prep. Yea my western wideout is a bit heavy and so is this diesel lol. I know this was a popular mod back in the day.

Has anyone got the f-550 7000lbs coil springs and did a 2in leveling kit?
I know the 2 top leveling kits are BDS and readylift. "Money wise"
I rather have the blocks on the bottom tho, so I don't want to spend 500$ for a complete bds kit with shocks.
Is rough country any good there 2in level blocks 60$ Pair up with the coils?

I was thinking the coils and 2in level kit should be almost 3in. Than I will buy the track bar. And the brackets for the brake lines .
Idk help me out here?
the ready lift is a sweet kit but I personally don't want the top mount spacers

NOTE: I'm not using any aftermarket wheels or tires. I got the factory 18s stock tires for winter and I got a set of factory 20s platinum rims and tires stock sizes! I'm assuming I don't need the caster adjusters?

You would hate those coils, is there anything in between you could use? The empty ride would suck with 7k springs.

I have used many Super Duty's with plow prep, 6.7, and big plow and got by just fine with coil spacers and Tembrins.

At least go test drive a F-550 before ordering coils.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:05 AM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
This is completely off the OP's topic but seeing Snowman 8's photos reminded me of a question I have always had. Curious as to why when people post photos of their vehicles they black out the license plate. Why do you do this? I have always wondered since your license plate is public and out there to see by anyone when you are driving around and parked in a public place. Why would a photo make it private or confidential to the point it would need to be blacked out?

Old 01-16-2018, 08:39 AM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Originally Posted by WyoBull
This is completely off the OP's topic but seeing Snowman 8's photos reminded me of a question I have always had. Curious as to why when people post photos of their vehicles they black out the license plate. Why do you do this? I have always wondered since your license plate is public and out there to see by anyone when you are driving around and parked in a public place. Why would a photo make it private or confidential to the point it would need to be blacked out?
Actually, I don’t know, I just did it because everyone else does...

Old 01-16-2018, 09:01 AM
Snowman 8
Elder User
I kinda got off topic too, but I don’t think I would install 550 coils either. It would suck to drive the rest of the time when the plow isn’t on the truck. I have always had plows on my HD trucks either with the plow prep package, heavy service package or whatever Ford was offering at the time. I have also had a 9’2” Boss V on most of those trucks and there is nothing light about those plows either. Yeah the front of the sags but I’ve always said who cares, the blade tips of my plow might only be a few inches off the ground and sometimes hit the ground but that doesn’t hurt anything. Sometimes the blade tips have hit the ground hard with no consequences. The center of the plow has never come close to hitting the ground. The first truck I plowed with was a 1991 F150 with a Western 7.5’ plow. That truck needed serious help in the front end! I put a set of HD coil springs in it with coil spring air bags to keep the bumper off the ground! But when the plow was off and no air in the bags I would literally bounce my head off the headliner of the truck when hitting bumps, I’m not kidding. It was miserable to drive without the plow on it. I would take the plow springs out in the summer and put them back in in the winter so the truck was drivable. Needless to say that only lasted a few years till I had enough money and traded up to a F250 diesel and life was good! Along with the bigger truck came a bigger plow too (Boss 8’2”)... then the evil circle started again because I put heavier leaf springs in the front of the F250 and again a horrible ride while empty! Then the next truck was a F350 with a 9’2” Boss, I didn’t change anything on that truck and just let it bounce with the plow on.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:57 AM
bigjeezy86
Senior User
Yea I might get the readylift kit I found it for 299$ with the track bar complete which is a steal and I might get the rough country 2in leveling blocks for 60$
. I really want a 2.5in tho but I see only rugged has the 2.5in blocks for the bottom of coils . I think I'm just over reacting on the subject

Old 01-16-2018, 10:00 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Being that it only takes an hour to change the springs. Go for it. F550 springs should hold that plow up no problem. Pop your old springs back in, in the spring. Doesn't Firestone offer and air bag that fits right inside the front springs?
http://www.jegs.com/i/Firestone/385/4187/10002/-1

BDS's 2" is nice as it comes complete with the track bar drop and the caster bushings.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:25 AM
bigjeezy86
Senior User
Originally Posted by Buliwyf
Being that it only takes an hour to change the springs. Go for it. F550 springs should hold that plow up no problem. Pop your old springs back in, in the spring. Doesn't Firestone offer and air bag that fits right inside the front springs?
Firestone 4187: Coil-Rite Air Helper Spring Kit 2005-15 Ford F250/F350 | JEGS

BDS's 2" is nice as it comes complete with the track bar drop and the caster bushings.

Yea don't I need the shock extender brackets? And the brake brackets?
The only down fall with the f-550 coils is that there almost 300$

Old 01-16-2018, 10:42 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Well, your plow weighs 190lbs more than my standard Fisher HD2 8.5-foot blade. Of course the front drops a little when the blade is up, but not bad. That 190lbs must make all the difference. 550 springs are designed to hold a 10-11-foot blade weighing between 11-1300lbs. So you really need an "in between" spring good for about 1000lbs of plow weight. You could just run the 550 springs in the winter and switch them out for the summer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I hate to do this