2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

SYNC 2.3 update is p%^$& me off...

Old 01-15-2018, 06:24 PM
ansfdev
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SYNC 2.3 update is p%^$& me off...

So I've tried doing the update most of the afternoon.

Tried OTA....connected to WiFi at the house....scans and then says incomplete.

Tried downloading, get the files, unzip etc...plug in the thumb drive and it says error, if it happens again, call the number.

I look at the files on the USB and they are not the same as the SYNC site as far as whats in the SYNCMYRIDE folder.

Anybody have any pointers?

Old 01-15-2018, 06:39 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
clean USB formatted correctly?

Unzip on your computer and place all the files in the usb?

Insert in the USB slot on the truck and then start it and it should automatically start the download

Took mine about 20 minutes to finish. It showed that it was downloading at the top of the screen.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:50 PM
ansfdev
Junior User
Originally Posted by senix
clean USB formatted correctly? Yep, FAT32 like it asked for

Unzip on your computer and place all the files in the usb? Yep

Insert in the USB slot on the truck and then start it and it should automatically start the download So the truck was on when I put the thumb drive in, would that make a difference?

Took mine about 20 minutes to finish. It showed that it was downloading at the top of the screen.
Once I plug the drive in it immediately says there is a problem. The auto install.lst is on the drive and the SYNCMYRIDE folder just like it shows. However, in that folder, the files dont look the same as whats on the SYNC site. There is still a zip file in that folder and the SYNC site doesnt show any of that.

I know I did this a couple of times in my '13 and it worked fine. Not sure what the issue is here.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:29 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
there maybe 2 versions, nav and non nav, I dont remember if you have to select which one or not.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:33 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
try to insert the usb before starting the truck and that may work.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:39 PM
Fr8dog69
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Try another clean formatted thumb drive. I had to use a second one for an an unknown reason as the first TD it didn’t like.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:40 PM
jm-bc
Junior User
Use Windows and not Mac OS and verify that the unzipped files get placed into sub-folders after unpacking. The folder requirement is mentioned in Ford instructions. Check those carefully.

If you only have a Mac, you can probably fix up the filenames after unzipping.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:50 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,620 Likes on 2,729 Posts
Did you format the USB drive as exFAT format?

FWIW, I never had to start my truck to get it to apply the update from the USB drive.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:18 AM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
The files also have to be in the same order when you put them on the thumb drive as they are when they are unzipped to your desktop/laptop. You definitely have to follow the directions exactly as Ford has laid them out or it will not work.
Mine took about 20 minutes to download and upgrade in my truck. My truck was running when I did the upgrade, per Ford's instructions.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:22 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by jm-bc
Use Windows and not Mac OS and verify that the unzipped files get placed into sub-folders after unpacking. The folder requirement is mentioned in Ford instructions. Check those carefully.

Doing the update via a Mac is not a problem at all but one must download a free Extractor from the Mac app store.

I have a Mac and my 2.3 update went over very well without any problems.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:29 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by WyoBull
The files also have to be in the same order when you put them on the thumb drive as they are when they are unzipped to your desktop/laptop. You definitely have to follow the directions exactly as Ford has laid them out or it will not work.
Mine took about 20 minutes to download and upgrade in my truck. My truck was running when I did the upgrade, per Ford's instructions.
WyoBull is 100% correct.

One must follow these download instructions to the letter and the files "MUST" be loaded to the thumb drive in the exact order they are unzipped on your desktop.

To make sure, just drag each file one at a time to the thumb drive and you should be good to go.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:50 AM
Blast2hell
Freshman User
Post a screenshot of what you have on the thumbdrive, it may help us figure out if anything is wrong.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:25 AM
Nimrod
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the files on the thumb drive are not what they should be my guess is there is either a problem with the download or when you unzip them. When you do the extraction you should see the files you need to copy to the TD.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:31 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 934 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by jm-bc

Mac should not be an issue. I pulled out my remaining hair doing this update, but having Apple stuff was not an issue and no file names had to be edited in any way.
Unzip the file on your desktop computer. Drag each of the files to the correctly formatted flash drive and let them copy over to it. Eject properly and remove drive.
Place in USB port of truck and start. The battery saver will time out unless it's been extended in FORScan so leave the truck running. I was getting pissed at seeing no messages at the top of the screen so I walked away and returned about 40 minutes later. It was done. Restart the truck and update should be complete.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:42 AM
Torvvald
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Apparently you have to have your thumb drive in the exFAT format. I had to reformat the one I bought from walmart first, before downloading the update onto it as the format was something else, brand new out of the box.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SYNC 2.3 update is p%^$& me off...