2019 - 2023 Ranger Everything about the new 2019-2023 Ford Ranger.

Official Announcement from Ford

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 12:46 AM
Gbcue
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Official Announcement from Ford

An American Favorite Reinvented: New Ford Ranger Brings Built Ford Tough Innovation to U.S. Midsize Truck Segment

• Built Ford Tough: Ford answers the call from truck customers looking for an affordable, rugged, and maneuverable midsize pickup that’s Built Ford Tough; torture-tested alongside Ford F-150 trucks, Ranger quality starts with a rugged high-strength steel frame backbone, proven Ford-built 2.3-liter EcoBoost® engine and class-exclusive 10-speed automatic transmission
  • Ready for adventure with innovative technology: New features make driving easier and more fun, both on- and off-road; available FX4 Off-Road Package adds protective skid plates, upgraded tires, off-road-tuned shocks and suspension, while Terrain Management System™ and Trail Control™ help navigate challenging conditions; a suite of innovative technologies includes standard Automatic Emergency Braking to help avoid collisions
  • Strong new choice for midsize truck fans:Ranger brings American truck lovers an all-new choice; production begins late this year at Ford’s Michigan Assembly Plant as the U.S. industry sees continued growth in midsize pickups

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...-built-fo.html

Old 01-14-2018, 05:03 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think it looks ok but only offering one engine choice shows how far behind the curve Ford is....and it won't be available for another year.....

Old 01-14-2018, 06:27 PM
db_tanker
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first engine released is basically the one I was hoping for...figure the diesel will follow behind...wonder if they will do the 4 and 5 cyl diesels available across the border though...

I see the STX with 4x4 in my future I think.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:41 PM
ODwyerPW
New User
2019 Ranger, XLT, Crew Cab, 4WD, 2.3L EcoBoost Turbo, 10 speed Auto... What's not to like? This is exactly the drive train combo I was hoping for!!!
Just one thing please: Offer colors other than 4 variations of silver/grey... I'd really like to see some lighter earth tones....
Interior... Definitely make lighter earth tones available in cloth please... I have no interest in Dove Grey, Dark Grey, Black interiors.

I'm the guy that's been waiting on a decent small/midsize 4wd crew cab pickup with a 4 cylinder engine for a long time....

Old 02-03-2018, 11:09 AM
F350 1990
Fleet Mechanic
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
AVOID (like the plague) the first model year (2019) -- it will be loaded with design, engineering, quality control, fit flaws (not unlike every other model's first production year).

Old 02-05-2018, 07:26 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
My ONLY concern is price. I have a feeling that the 4x4 models are going to start in the low to mid $30k range and quickly go up from there if you want any options at all, and if that's the case it's in the price range of a very lightly used F150.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:53 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by WXboy
My ONLY concern is price. I have a feeling that the 4x4 models are going to start in the low to mid $30k range and quickly go up from there if you want any options at all, and if that's the case it's in the price range of a very lightly used F150.
If that's the case, Ford is going to have a very expensive loser on their hands. I'd like another Ranger, I'm still on my second one, but this new one is going to have more than the engine it's getting, some nonmillenial colors, and dare I say it, North American looks.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:44 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by F350 1990
AVOID (like the plague) the first model year (2019) -- it will be loaded with design, engineering, quality control, fit flaws (not unlike every other model's first production year).
I don't think there's precedent to support that. The '15 F150s were pretty decent for the most part. And this Ranger is largely based off the global version that's been in continual production for decades. Not saying it won't be a problem child, but I don't think we have enough info to say that conclusively.

I'm interested in the Ranger, but only if it can be gotten for substantial discount against the F150. Seems like the competing manufacturers sell their midsize trucks for only a few thousand off what you can get a full-size truck for, at which point most of us opt for the larger, more capable option.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:36 AM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tom
I don't think there's precedent to support that. The '15 F150s were pretty decent for the most part. And this Ranger is largely based off the global version that's been in continual production for decades. Not saying it won't be a problem child, but I don't think we have enough info to say that conclusively.
I do like how the manufactures are using the other countries for test markets, or so it seems.

But the engine and transmissions are almost always changed when they bring them to the U.S. so it seems like that is always the part that worries me. I am happy I didn't get a 2015 or 2016 Colorado.

- Preston

Old 02-12-2018, 10:54 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by silverbullet6oh
But the engine and transmissions are almost always changed when they bring them to the U.S. so it seems like that is always the part that worries me. I am happy I didn't get a 2015 or 2016 Colorado.

- Preston
That's true, but the 2.3L EcoBoost isn't a new engine either. It's a revision of the well-proven 2.0L, and has been in use in the '15+ Mustang and '16+ Explorer. The 10-speed auto has also been used in the '17+ F150s.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:07 AM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tom
That's true, but the 2.3L EcoBoost isn't a new engine either. It's a revision of the well-proven 2.0L, and has been in use in the '15+ Mustang and '16+ Explorer. The 10-speed auto has also been used in the '17+ F150s.

Your correct in saying they have been around.

I should have clarified. I mean't that they are pairing up two different items two each other that have yet to be refined.

Like what they did with the '15 and '16 Colorado's. Great engine and great 6 speed transmissions, but when paired together there were issues.

- Preston

Old 02-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom

I'm interested in the Ranger, but only if it can be gotten for substantial discount against the F150. Seems like the competing manufacturers sell their midsize trucks for only a few thousand off what you can get a full-size truck for, at which point most of us opt for the larger, more capable option.
Tom if you want to bury your head in the sand and pretend Ford builds a perfect product, be my guest. There is plenty of precedent to support the old theory to avoid first model-year vehicles. The 2015 F-150 with the 2.7 had some software issues that were well talked about on here. The first MY of the current Escape had more recalls than I count. Another good example is 2011 5.0 engines being replaced under warranty for cylinders becoming out-of-round. Or how about valve-train issues in 2011 6.7 PSD's? Shall I continue? I can if you like! I've always thought that Ford needs at least the first year to year and a half to get the bugs worked out. GM and Chrysler need more than that, often about 2-3 full model years to get their stuff sorted out. Ford isn't afraid to make mid-year design revisions to sort out some bugs. Makes things more difficult for technicians and parts suppliers (ok, is this an early year '15, or a late year '15?) but it's better for consumers.
BTW if you don't like me speaking my mind, feel free to delete this post. I'll just continue!

Old 02-22-2018, 09:57 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
Tom if you want to bury your head in the sand and pretend Ford builds a perfect product, be my guest.
Ha! You're saying this to the guy who almost traded his Ford for a Toyota just last month because of the issues I've had with it.

There is plenty of precedent to support the old theory to avoid first model-year vehicles. The 2015 F-150 with the 2.7 had some software issues that were well talked about on here. The first MY of the current Escape had more recalls than I count. Another good example is 2011 5.0 engines being replaced under warranty for cylinders becoming out-of-round. Or how about valve-train issues in 2011 6.7 PSD's? Shall I continue? I can if you like! I've always thought that Ford needs at least the first year to year and a half to get the bugs worked out. GM and Chrysler need more than that, often about 2-3 full model years to get their stuff sorted out. Ford isn't afraid to make mid-year design revisions to sort out some bugs. Makes things more difficult for technicians and parts suppliers (ok, is this an early year '15, or a late year '15?) but it's better for consumers.
BTW if you don't like me speaking my mind, feel free to delete this post. I'll just continue!
I owned an early-build '15 that was fantastic, as have a whole bunch of others. If you look at overall reliability trends, the '15 model year wasn't significantly different from the '16 and '17 models, I can pull data and post it if you like.

And I think you've been around here long enough to know that we want people to speak their minds. FTE has never had a requirement for people to agree with the moderators or site staff, that would defeat the purpose of having a forum.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:39 AM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C'mon man, anything but a a Toyota! LOL I may have said this before but I've never been a fan of Toyota's. I've talked to people who who have owned them and come to the conclusion that while they may be generarally reliable, overall they are no better than anything else on the road. Most of the hype you hear is simply that-over-exaggerated hyperbole leftover from the 70's and early 80's when the American makes couldn't get anything right to save their lives! I've driven a few older ones, and they always had a very cheap feel to me, whereas a comparable Ford product of the same age just felt more significant and more durable. Admittedly I have little experience with Toyota's built within the past decade, though.
And you may have read enough of my posts by now that I'm not one to shy away from speaking my mind, regardless of who my audience is. I usually try to back it up with examples and facts, but I always enjoy a good debate.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:56 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
I don't want to digress much from the original topic, but my experience with recent Toyotas has been fantastic. My biggest frustration with the Escape isn't just the issues, but just how darn hard this thing is to work on. One peek under the Rav4's hood shows a dramatic difference.

Fortunately this is all off-topic, as most trucks aren't bad to work on at all. I'd expect a longitudinally mounted 4-cylinder in the new Ranger to be much easier than my current divorce-inspired ride.

Quick Reply: Official Announcement from Ford