2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Oscillation in steering - aka death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 12:39 PM
kev987
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oscillation in steering - aka death wobble

Dropped my f350 SRW off at the dealer because of a second instance of severe oscillation in the front end after hitting a bump. The first time the dealer said it was a low tire and alignment. I let that ride for the time being because I did not have time to deal with it. The truck still did not feel right. I would still get more than what I consider reasonable steering shake when hitting a bump, as well as a feeling of the steering going light after hitting a bump. Over Christmas the wife and I were rolling down the interstate at 75 when we crossed an expansion joint and the steering went into a violent oscillation and was increasing in intensity. I had limited control on the truck, hit the brakes, tried to put the truck on the shoulder without loosing it off in the embankment or getting clobbered by the semis behind me. The oscillation did not stop until I slowed to 10 or so mph. Anyway, told the dealer this is not safe - fix it, my family and I would have died if I would have been towing my 5th wheel. Dealer says they found the issue and I need a new track bar and stabilizer, however, they are on backorder and they think it will be "released for shipping" next week. That sounds to me like a design change or service bulletin has occurred if the parts need to be "released for shipping".

Old 01-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Might want to consider more caster at the same time. Make sure the tires are perfect.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-06-2018, 04:56 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 346 Likes on 212 Posts
can you give more info. is the truck all stock? how many miles? on road or off road miles? seems like theres been a few threads with these type of problems and im wondering how front end components can need replaced so soon. are the '17+ models using new front end geometry that perhaps was untested or has it been around a while with little problem ?

Old 01-06-2018, 09:45 PM
kev987
New User
*****- She is a bone stock down to the tires truck and has an easy life. F350 SRW LWB 6.7 with 18" rims and FX4 package. 24,000 miles and most of those are highway. I make a loop around a pasture at the lease every now and then, but have only locked it into 4x4 a time or two. No playing in the mud, no abuse, no oversize tires. Probably 10% of those miles are with a 13,000lb 5th wheel in tow. The steering never felt sloppy or clunky like you get with worn components, I know what that feels like. It could be specific to the configuration of the truck - what is a problem on my truck may not show up on say a short bed, or one with 20" rims, or one with different spring rates. Those things will all play into the dampening of the steering system. I will post if I find out any more from the dealer.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:53 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 346 Likes on 212 Posts
its hard to imagine a trackbar needs replaced after 24k highway miles. report back what you find out

Old 01-10-2018, 07:47 PM
Mr. Notorious
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a printout of your alignment and see where your caster is at. Tell them you want it at the highest end of the acceptable window.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:45 PM
J Standard
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't wait for the members that swear there is no such thing as death wobble, Ford has not figured this out since 2005...

Old 01-10-2018, 09:06 PM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome to the elite group of us that are lucky enough to have our trucks do this and no one can seem to fix it... or believe us that they do it because supposedly the front end of our trucks don’t shake uncontrollably after hitting a bump in the road! Insert sarcasm horn here! Hopefully they can fix it! If they do let us know what they did, I’ve just gotten used to it and just slam on the brakes as I am finding my way over to the shoulder of the road while trying not to get run over on the freeway.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:26 PM
NAZSD
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Snowman 8
Welcome to the elite group of us that are lucky enough to have our trucks do this and no one can seem to fix it... or believe us that they do it because supposedly the front end of our trucks don’t shake uncontrollably after hitting a bump in the road! Insert sarcasm horn here! Hopefully they can fix it! If they do let us know what they did, I’ve just gotten used to it and just slam on the brakes as I am finding my way over to the shoulder of the road while trying not to get run over on the freeway.
I’m in this elite group too. I replaced my stabilizer (which had dead space at 10,000 miles) with a Fox ATS with fabricated mount. The DW went away. Please post any part numbers once available. 2017 4x4 XLT CCSB Stock with BFG KO2 275/70R18

Old 01-11-2018, 04:19 AM
mcrespousa
Freshman User
I had this on my 2011 F250, very bad. Dealer replaced the steering stabilizer once and it helped for a short time. The eventual permanent fix was to replace the track bar with after market. I think I bought it from Ready Lift, it had a solid bushing on the end instead of the factory ball joint. Problem went away for sure, but cost me about $700 total.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:26 AM
mcrespousa
Freshman User
Actually I believe it was this one:
2005-16 Ford F-250/350 HD Solid Mount Adjustable Trackbar

I don't have the truck anymore. Ford has been WELL aware of this issue for years, they just haven't solved it.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:38 AM
Boilermaker374
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
I'll add one more to the list, it's not mine but a close family member... I was in the truck when it began, just a wobble at first but it has quickly over a 2 week period evolved into a uncontrolled shaking that left him in the oncoming lane yesterday after crossing rail road tracks while traveling a 2 lane road with a posted 55 mph speed limit.... Truck is going to the dealer monday... It has 30000 miles on it.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:13 AM
Becorum
Junior User
Have yall seen this?

My buddy's that think they are comedians keep tagging me in this on FB.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:05 AM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Becorum
Have yall seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjBCPllSqQU

My buddy's that think they are comedians keep tagging me in this on FB.
Who’s the idiot talking about these trucks not made to drive over 65mph without a load?! Well mine is worse with a load and it’s done it below 60mph! What’s is genius reply for that? Some people are just idiots I guess. And for the guy that just keeps driving the truck down the road jerking the wheel from side to side...

Old 01-11-2018, 09:54 AM
Becorum
Junior User
Originally Posted by Snowman 8
Who’s the idiot talking about these trucks not made to drive over 65mph without a load?! Well mine is worse with a load and it’s done it below 60mph! What’s is genius reply for that? Some people are just idiots I guess. And for the guy that just keeps driving the truck down the road jerking the wheel from side to side...
I believe it is a semi-fake video. They are trying to lead us to believe that Ford was saying those things, I highly doubt it. That video was all over FB and wanted to see what yall thought.

Quick Reply: Oscillation in steering - aka death wobble