Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 Won't run after repairs

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 12:47 PM
jcwatty
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 Won't run after repairs

Hi all, new to this forum, new to forums in general. Been lurking on it for a while now to see if I could find the answer to my problem.
Truck is a 2003 F350, 7.3L with 180K on it. Only mods are intake, exhaust and DP tuner.
Had a bad leak from HPOP, base gasket/seal was the culprit. Bought a reseal kit to repair. Resealed it and replaced the IPR at the same time. Did everything to the riffraff procedure that came with the kit, fired the truck up and ran great, no more leak. Drove the truck around town for a while, beat on it like it was rental, ran great then parked it. A couple days later I fired it up, started right up, everything seemed fine. After a few mins of running the truck started stumbling, super rough idle, no power, hardly any pedal, sounded like it was running out of fuel. Shut it off, started up again with same symptoms right away. Poked around looking for something off around the fuel bowl, HPOP area, nothing stood out. Started it back up, same rough running symptoms, cracked the fuel bowl drain and it smoothed out for a bit, leading me to believe I've got a seal issue with the fuel bowl. Ordered a fuel bowl O-ring kit from diesel O-rings, put in all new O-rings, new FPR and billet FPR cap from Diesel O-rings. Fired right up and ran great for a minute or two then same symptoms came back.. Drained the fuel bowl to check everything out, made sure the check valve was operating correctly, replaced everything, cycled the key a few times to fill up the fuel bowl and she fired right up and ran great for a minute then back to running rough... Am I sucking air from somewhere?? Valley is dry, no leaks around the fuel bowl, fuel bowl fills up fast (lots of pressure). I did notice a small 1" puddle of diesel on the shop floor after a 12 hr period, not sure if that's residual from when the tube fell off the fuel bowl drain tube and coated everything with diesel.

I'm stumped at the moment. I can drain the fuel bowl, remove filter and replace, refill and start it right up.. for a minute or two... Any ideas on what to do or look for would be greatly appreciated! I haven't scanned it, I don't have a scanner like AE, don't have any data or codes. CEL does come on when it starts running rough. ICP looks good, no oil in it. Tank is half full, oil and filter is fresh (changed when did the HPOP reseal), HPOP reservoir is full, fuel filter is motorcraft. No smoke when cranking or started. GPR is new, Batteries are taking a beating with trying to figure this out but got em on a charger.
HELP please!

Old 01-04-2018, 12:50 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
What is the fuel level in the tank?

Have you heard of or done the "hutch mod" on the truck?

Is your fuel pump OEM or did you replace it along the line?

Old 01-04-2018, 12:57 PM
jcwatty
Freshman User
Tank is half full. I have heard of the hutch mod. I wasn't leaning that way but it certainly could be the issue. Is there a way to verify that something in the tank is the issue? Can I fill the tank up to full and see if symptoms still occur?

Old 01-04-2018, 01:02 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Yes, you could remove the supply hose coming from the tank to the pump and plumb the pump into a jug of diesel fuel. This would eliminate anything behind the pump toward the tank.

Keep talking (typing) through it with us, you will get it fixed.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:07 PM
jcwatty
Freshman User
Okay thanks, I'll give that a try this evening and report back.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:08 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you check the oil level on the dipstick? Almost sounds like you are low on oil. I know, stupid question but you would be surprised how many times this occurs on here.

Welcome to FTE ...

Old 01-04-2018, 01:12 PM
jcwatty
Freshman User
Dipstick looks good. Just a tick below the top operating level line.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:19 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Does the truck run any different (smoother) with the ICP unplugged?

What brand of IPR did you get (OEM, aftermarket)? Is the tin nut still on the IPR?

Old 01-04-2018, 03:08 PM
jcwatty
Freshman User
No change with ICP unplugged. The IPR is aftermarket (Bosch).. I've been told that never use the aftermarket but that's what I had at the time. Think its a lemon?

Old 01-04-2018, 03:10 PM
jcwatty
Freshman User
and the tin nut is still on

Old 01-04-2018, 03:45 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Could be, but if you are going to get an aftermarket sensor, Bosch is probably one of your best bets. Do you still have the OEM IPR?

Old 01-04-2018, 03:48 PM
jcwatty
Freshman User
I still have the OEM IPR

Old 01-05-2018, 12:21 AM
Karlow
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't be shy, try putting it back in and giving her a shot.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:35 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Tuner...? Unplug it.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:25 AM
phinner
Senior User
What brand of ICP are you running? I had an IPR issue a few years ago right after I bought my truck. I threw it in a shop (being a diesel rookie) and the shop wanted to replace every part but the IPR - ICP being the first part. Long story short, I got it back and maybe a week later it pulled the same thing as your truck is. Turns out after the shop replaced it under warranty with no change, I bought a Motorcraft from the dealer and the issue was fixed. Also check the pigtails on the ICP and IPR.

Quick Reply: 7.3 Won't run after repairs