1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

And The Saga Begins... '53 F100 build

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 06:41 PM
Hanger53
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
And The Saga Begins... '53 F100 build

I bought "Henry" back in the fall of 2016. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-53-build.html
I have piddled with get him running better, chased a cooling issue (resolved, I think), but for the most part just enjoyed to the tune of over 1000 miles, no more than 15 miles from home.
I have struggled with just what to do with him.. I don't have the talents or the wherewithal to build one of the nice trucks some of you have but I want him to be a bit more reliable and I hate rust holes in the floor.. Last week I just said the hell with it, dig in and see where we end up...
Here's what he looked like a few days ago and how he looks tonight...

Old 12-18-2017, 07:00 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
Yikes! That's quite a transformation. You mention skills and financial resources may be in short supply. That being the case, where are you going from the "here" you have created? Once everything is torn apart, some skill and $$'s are bound to be needed.

My floors were rusted out, and I was able to purchase and install replacement panels. The repairs were made fairly reasonably. I never separated the body and frame, however. You've made a bold decision to disassemble your truck. Hopefully you will be able to make better, more professional repairs, than I was able to do.

Good luck to you. It's a good thing there is a lot of free advice and guidance available on the forum. The wisdom of others can maybe help compensate for some of the deficiencies you mention you are bringing to your build.

Jim

Old 12-18-2017, 07:50 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Now you went and done it! No turning back now. Good luck and God Speed!

And it nice that you laid a tarp over the living room carpet to catch the dirt. Or does your garage just look like someone's living room? LOL!

Old 12-18-2017, 07:54 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Aircraft hanger. They're just naturally nicer than most garages.

What are the plans? Is this a little nip and tuck, or full blown cosmetic surgery?

Old 12-18-2017, 07:58 PM
1952 Ford Coe
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well you got this far... you started! The puzzle was taken apart. Now shine those parts and put the puzzle back together. Puzzles take time. This one is just a big one. Good luck!

Old 12-18-2017, 08:03 PM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Wow. good luck...

Old 12-18-2017, 08:39 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Wow this is pretty extreme for a few rust holes You're all in now. Good luck! I have complete confidence in you

Old 12-19-2017, 05:31 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Yes, as abe said you are into it now. You will have to watch out for the MAWs "Might As Well" fix this or that since you have it apart. I started with a brake keeper coming loose inside of the RF wheel in June 2012. While I was waiting for the new keeper to come in I figured that I "might as well" clean up the backing plate . . . and that led to brake shoes and wheel cylinders on both sides . . . then I noticed that the tie rod was bent . . . then "might as well" replace the king pins . . . then "Oh, the steering box is bad" . . . "might as well" install power steering . . . etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc. . . . . . . . .

Finally, 5 years later and many, many MAWs I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

So that is the warning but on the good side there are several posters on here who pride themselves on budget builds. Hopefully they will chime in here and you can ask them questions.

Good luck,

-

Old 12-19-2017, 05:53 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Wow! Did that brake keeper ever come in?

Old 12-19-2017, 05:59 PM
Beechkid
Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts
Its looking GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-19-2017, 06:10 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Wow! Did that brake keeper ever come in?

Yes but then I figured that I MAW changeover to disc brakes.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:56 AM
Hanger53
Senior User
"Where am I going from here?"... that's a good question, and one I know I probably should have determined before I dug in..
Actually the teardown was a result of MAW (might as well).
I was going to just throw some patches on the floor and call it good but the front cab mounts, especially the left, are pretty bad and the cab corners need some attention so i thought pulling the cab would make it easier.
Also need to install a dual res. master cyl. and wanted to clean up and paint the frame.
I hate to lose the "character" of the truck by changing it's appearance but once we fix the cab we may be to far to turn back... we will see.
When I said I lack the talent and the wherewithal, I should have said, I sometimes lack "project dedication"..I love this old truck, so may be I can stay the course..

Old 12-20-2017, 03:23 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
The repairs and improvements you mention should be very manageable. Just try to stay focused on the limited goals you have identified, and don't allow yourself to be led down the path of endless MAW's.

With a little help and encouragement from your FTE friends, you'll have "Henry" back on the road sooner rather than later. Maybe your goal could be to have your truck ready for the trip to one of the September Truckstock events.

Posting progress and pictures might help you to stay motivated.

Jim

Old 12-20-2017, 04:21 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think that there is anything on that truck that you wont be able to accomplish, with the help available here on FTE. I also had little to no experience, no tools, well lets put it this way, all I did have was a desire to get my truck to stop, and steer . Well here I am somewhere around 15 years later with a truck that I love, not a show truck by any stretch, but I did rebuild the transmission, rear end, rebuilt steering, some engine work, body work, and painted myself. I did mine one small task at a time, and drove it without anything but a cab , and tied on radiator, and lights, for quite a while. All I'm trying to do here is show you that these trucks are pretty simple if you stick to the original design as much as you can. Or you can build a beautiful show truck but it does not sound like that is what your going for. Well that's about it, you can do it, just ask for help, use the search feature on this site, get a manual for your truck, browsing u tube helps sometimes, just figure out what you want your truck to be and then go slow.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:51 PM
Hanger53
Senior User
Progress!!

I have indeed fallen victim MAW(might as well)..

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: And The Saga Begins... '53 F100 build