Sponsored by: Moser

can't get my 78 into 4h

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 07:05 PM
donthekawguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can't get my 78 into 4h

First big snow hit today and of course I can't get the truck into 4h. I had the muscle it to get it into 4L but I cant drive around at 25 mph. lol It goes back into N 2H but not all the way back to 4H. Any ideas what to do? Oh and yes the hubs are locked.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:43 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Received 731 Likes on 585 Posts
Do you have a body lift or anything like that? I wonder if the shift lever is physically hitting the body? Don't hear about that much on our types of trucks, but it happens a lot on others so it's worth mentioning.

Colder weather. Do you use heavy gear lube in yours? Like the 140 stuff perhaps? That might do it. But if you have 75w/90 or even straight 85 or 90 weight, I wouldn't think that would be the issue.

And just for the record, is this a 205 or a converted 203 by any chance?

Good luck.

Paul

Old 12-15-2017, 10:21 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,287 Likes on 2,443 Posts
Since it will go in 4L I suspect you have a linkage or bushing issue. X2 all that Paul said. So time to insp things the linkage or replace a bushing.

1. Lock hubs.
2. While setting still, idling in P try to go to 4H, if that does not work while holding steady pressure in the 4H direction, put it in D and see if it will idle roll and go in 4H. If its a manual trans, try being in neutral, then 2nd gear and let a little clutch out.

If not, again while holding steady pressure in 4H direction and while slow rolling give it a throttle blip or one twice.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
transfer case 2.pdf (42.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-16-2017, 01:19 AM
donthekawguy
Senior User
Sorry for the lack of detail in the original post. It is a 205 with an auto trans. I have had the truck for a while but just now got it back on the road. Never tried the 4wd until tody. It took me a while to move the shifter forward into the 4L position and I drove it about 5 miles at around 25 mph. The motor was up on rpm's so I knew it was working. I was on a very icey road that was all construction with no where to pull over to change into 4H. Then I made the mistake of trying to switch into 4H while going around 10 mph. It did not like that at all. lol Stopped the truck and pulled the shifter back trying to get it into 4h. Stepped on the gas and the truck slid sideways telling me it wasn't in 4wd. Got to my destination and tried again to get it into 4wd without luck. Got it home and tried the back up neutral slow roll all of the tips and nothing. No power to the front driveshaft. I'm guessing I broke something when I was grinding the gears. Really bummed about this! This truck has been one nightmare after another since I got it but I'm not giving up on it! Heres a video.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:55 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
I have to ask..did you NOT ck the 4wd operation (both 4H and 4L) before you bought it?

"Still having a little carburetor issues, think I might SCan that Holley, and put a ah Edelbrock on there but...this thing runs good." That last statement is a contradiction to the 1st one. lol

IMO I would work on the issue of the current carb before I go spend the $ on a different carb. Is it is a hard to start issue, leaking, power less or what? Maybe the carb just needs a rebuild kit or it just needs tuned.

It might be a cheap simple fix for the time being, until you go EFI. Which kit are you looking at? FiTech, Holley Sniper, FAST, Quick Fuel, MSD Atomic??? Keep us posted on what works out for you. Do a tech thread n it too.

4L to 4H info from FTE members.

"With trans in neutral and clutch "out", the input shaft is turning and "internal windage" as the trans lube is swirled will still apply a rotation to the output shaft when there's nothing to stop it turning.... like when you slide the TC into neutral on the way from 2hi to 4lo.

Mine has a C-6 and while I can shift from 2hi to 4hi with trans in neutral with the engine running, I need to stop and place trans in PARK before going from 2hi through TC neutral to 4lo for similar reason.

The deal is when that TC hits neutral, there is nothing to stop it's input shaft from turning, and that means nothing to stop the transmission output from turning .... (except in my case when I place C-6 in Park the park pawl locks the trans output shaft) ..... and some times to stop the grinding I just shut the truck off) in your case, pushing the clutch in will minimize it. If your clutch drags a hair, you'll maybe need to shut your engine off .... in which case the clutch needs adjustment."

Old 12-16-2017, 08:52 AM
JessyJ
Senior User
.Ok I doubt if you broke anything, I would get another person to help you. They can push and pull on the shifter with you under the truck, that way you can see how it works. It might need some lubricant sprayed on it.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:01 AM
march
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I always struggled until I read the directions...............

Old 12-16-2017, 03:20 PM
donthekawguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
I have to ask..did you NOT ck the 4wd operation (both 4H and 4L) before you bought it?

"Still having a little carburetor issues, think I might SCan that Holley, and put a ah Edelbrock on there but...this thing runs good." That last statement is a contradiction to the 1st one. lol

IMO I would work on the issue of the current carb before I go spend the $ on a different carb. Is it is a hard to start issue, leaking, power less or what? Maybe the carb just needs a rebuild kit or it just needs tuned.

It might be a cheap simple fix for the time being, until you go EFI. Which kit are you looking at? FiTech, Holley Sniper, FAST, Quick Fuel, MSD Atomic??? Keep us posted on what works out for you. Do a tech thread n it too.

4L to 4H info from FTE members.

"With trans in neutral and clutch "out", the input shaft is turning and "internal windage" as the trans lube is swirled will still apply a rotation to the output shaft when there's nothing to stop it turning.... like when you slide the TC into neutral on the way from 2hi to 4lo.

Mine has a C-6 and while I can shift from 2hi to 4hi with trans in neutral with the engine running, I need to stop and place trans in PARK before going from 2hi through TC neutral to 4lo for similar reason.

The deal is when that TC hits neutral, there is nothing to stop it's input shaft from turning, and that means nothing to stop the transmission output from turning .... (except in my case when I place C-6 in Park the park pawl locks the trans output shaft) ..... and some times to stop the grinding I just shut the truck off) in your case, pushing the clutch in will minimize it. If your clutch drags a hair, you'll maybe need to shut your engine off .... in which case the clutch needs adjustment."
The carb issue is that it stumbles when I florr it from a dead stop most of the time. When it doesn't stumble it will light the tires up but when I completely let off it will die. The carb is rebuilt and I have had two carb guys mess with it and it still does it. But after driving it around it does seem to be getting better.
On to the TC, my truck is an automatic so some of the stuff doesn't apply but most of it still does. I didn't check it before I got the truck of course now I wish I would have but I dont think it would have kept me from buying it. I only paid $1000 for it and drove it home 50 miles or so. I have done all the different things to try to get it into 4wd and nothing works. I thought the shifter wasn't going all the way back into 4H but now I think it's just something is keeping it from engaging.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:15 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Carb problem sounds like a vacuum issue maybe, but hay I am not a carb guy either but I can guess pretty dang good.

As far as the TC since it will go in 4L I would not panic yet...have you pulled the back plate off and looked in side?

Great link. NP205 Rebuild Guide

Old 12-16-2017, 09:32 PM
donthekawguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Carb problem sounds like a vacuum issue maybe, but hay I am not a carb guy either but I can guess pretty dang good.

As far as the TC since it will go in 4L I would not panic yet...have you pulled the back plate off and looked in side?

Great link. NP205 Rebuild Guide
Not yet. The front end started making a clunking noise so thats first on the list. It also stopped engaging the front driveline when put into 4L. The shifter goes all the way forward but no power to the axle.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:59 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Front end like...axle front end? Like inside the front pumpkin or the short shaft u joints? One side or both? Or like a clunking noise from under the truck.. like from inside the TC?

But in 2wd it still works? Could be it is rebuild time or get another tc case all together.

Offroad Design - Complete Rebuilt NP205, NP203 transfer Cases

New_Process_NP205_Parts - Torque King 4x4

https://www.midwesttrans.com/NP205_T...r_%20Case.html

Rebuild Kits NP205 Transfer Cases plus assembly Illustration | NP205 Transfer Cases Part - Drivetrain

Old 12-17-2017, 06:19 AM
rob8210
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you check the oil level in the transfer case? On my truck the transfer case would be very hard to shift when the oil level was low, I filled it up and that made a huge difference.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:06 PM
brian1080
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you made sure the gearing in both axles match? Are all four tires the same size?

I had a truck with 33s on front and 35s on back, it was hard to get into 4wd, and even harder to get back out because it always has pressure on one end.

Worth looking into.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:34 PM
donthekawguy
Senior User
Ok I took the front diff cover off the check the gears because the truck was sometimes getting power to the front diff. Glad I did because the vent hose was off and the diff was full of water. Cleaned it out after checking the gears (all were fine), reinstalled the hose and filled with clean gear oil. Checked the transfer case and it was full so I changed the oil. Checked the lockers and the passenger side was totally stripped. Put a new set of WARN lockers on it and it's all good. It's still a little tough to get the transfer case into gear but it works. I think it might have been tough to get into gear from stitting so long and me not knowing what I was doing. lol It takes some finessing to get it into gear but I'll work on that when it warms up a bit in the spring. For now it pulls like a freght train thru thick snow so it's all good! On to the next issue! lol

Old 01-15-2018, 11:36 PM
donthekawguy
Senior User
This pic was taken after I ran over and squished down a 3 foot burm left by the snow plow out in front of my house. Those tires made short work of the burm!

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: can't get my 78 into 4h