1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 08:36 AM
red66rider
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electrical issue

So I have lost all power to the truck....
A little back story, last Saturday my dad came up to take my truck to store at my parents place since I will be in a rental until my new home is built. Well anyways we pulled it out of the garage and he took it around the block with no issues. he parked the truck in the driveway, shut it down and we checked a few things, then I hopped in and went around the block then pulled it back in the driveway, shut it down. after about 10 mins of excitement of driving we decided to take it around the block one last time before the 2 hour journey to my parents, well when I got back into the cab to start it, I got nothing....no crank, no lights, no dash lights.....absolutely nothing. we go from driving it around to it just not responding at all. the next day we tried to trace what the issue could be, started with the battery(replaced it)....nothing. thought maybe the starter solenoid(replaced it)....nothing. thought maybe the voltage regulator(replaced it)....nothing. noticed a 1 fuse on the fuse block under the dash was blown so we replaced it, but that wasn't the source. we tried using a jumper wire on the starter solenoid to crank it over and it turned over but wouldn't stay running...just died as soon as the jumper wire came off.

in the end we are lost on what the issue could be, especially going from a running truck with lights etc to absolutely nothing.

any idea/suggestions?

Old 12-15-2017, 09:23 AM
AZ66F100
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My first guess would be a bad ignition switch, but you need to track it down. Does the horn work? Do you have a volt meter?

Old 12-15-2017, 09:32 AM
red66rider
Senior User
Originally Posted by AZ66F100
My first guess would be a bad ignition switch, but you need to track it down. Does the horn work? Do you have a volt meter?
the horn I don't believe worked since I got the truck. I do have a volt meter and I tested the solenoid to see if it had power to it, it does...I checked the voltage regulator and it has power.... I checked the plug at the ignition switch, and it has power but doesn't mean the switch couldn't be bad. its the only think I haven't replaced electrical wise that pertains to the starting sequence..... would this switch being bad cause no dash lights or headlights?

Old 12-15-2017, 09:38 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts
I'd suspect the ignition switch first.

With the ignition in the off position you shouldn't have any voltage across the smaller or across the larger connections on the solenoid. Once you have someone turn the key to the Start position then you should get voltage across the smaller terminals which energizes the solenoid and moves the internal slug to contact the larger terminals together so then you should get voltage across the larger terminals which energizes the starter motor.

If you have someone turn the key to the Start position while you measure the voltage across the smaller terminals - if you don't get any change in voltage then it's likely the switch or the wiring between the switch and the solenoid.

Chad

Old 12-15-2017, 09:59 AM
AZ66F100
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a 66 F100 diagram here:
http://www.fordification.info/tech/i...sterwiring.jpg

Besides the ignition switch, about the only other place where everything comes together is the plug through the firewall. Possible but doubtful. So I'm sticking with the switch at this point.

When you turn the ignition switch to "on", you should get voltage at the coil. Without that, the engine won't run. From your description, you aren't getting voltage to the coil in the 'on' position, which is why it dies right away when you start it by shorting out the solenoid. So you may be getting voltage to the switch, but not through the switch.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:04 AM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

Received 521 Likes on 414 Posts
I would check all the grounds first. Especially the battery ground. Just back off on the bolts a little and re-tighten them. If that doesn't help try the harness plug on the firewall. That black wire with the yellow stripe is the main power feed to everything. Be careful with that plug they can get corrosion in them and become very difficult to separate without breaking off the pins. Electrical problems are just a matter of elimination and yours sounds like it is a complete loss of continuity somewhere.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:13 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts
One other thing to try if your voltmeter is really a multimeter - set it to the ohms or continuity setting and probe from the center of the battery negative post (not the battery cable clamp) right dead center - and the other lead to various places (bare metal) like the chassis, engine block, negative side of the solenoid and make sure any place that you probe that should be a ground reference is a very low resistance between it and that negative post of the battery.

Chad

Old 12-15-2017, 12:01 PM
red66rider
Senior User
Originally Posted by TA455HO
I'd suspect the ignition switch first.

With the ignition in the off position you shouldn't have any voltage across the smaller or across the larger connections on the solenoid. Once you have someone turn the key to the Start position then you should get voltage across the smaller terminals which energizes the solenoid and moves the internal slug to contact the larger terminals together so then you should get voltage across the larger terminals which energizes the starter motor.

If you have someone turn the key to the Start position while you measure the voltage across the smaller terminals - if you don't get any change in voltage then it's likely the switch or the wiring between the switch and the solenoid.

Chad

Ordered an ignition switch and will pick it up today in preparation for the weekend to work on this thing

Originally Posted by Crop Duster
I would check all the grounds first. Especially the battery ground. Just back off on the bolts a little and re-tighten them. If that doesn't help try the harness plug on the firewall. That black wire with the yellow stripe is the main power feed to everything. Be careful with that plug they can get corrosion in them and become very difficult to separate without breaking off the pins. Electrical problems are just a matter of elimination and yours sounds like it is a complete loss of continuity somewhere.
so if it is the black wire with yellow strip that is the problem how do you go about fixing It?

Old 12-15-2017, 01:40 PM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

Wiring

Originally Posted by red66rider
Ordered an ignition switch and will pick it up today in preparation for the weekend to work on this thing

so if it is the black wire with yellow strip that is the problem how do you go about fixing It?
This picture is an under dash harness that I have been mining parts out of but if you look you will see the firewall plug with the Blk/Yel wire. That wire goes to a splice point in the harness at that point the Blk/Red wire goes to the light switch, the yellow wire goes to the ignition switch the red one goes to the cigar lighter fuse. As you can see if you have power to that plug the lights will work and the cigar lighter will work regardless of the ignition switch position. So my assumption is your problem is not inside the cab. First you need to make sure you are getting power to the Blk/Yel wire where it is connected to the junction block or the solenoid or where ever it hooks up. If so then pull the plug at the firewall and clean the connections and check for power there.
If your plug is no good you can just splice around it. Or get a new harness. But it could be you just aren't getting any power to it. A picture of your wiring would be helpful. Good Luck!

Attached Images  

Last edited by Crop Duster; 12-15-2017 at 01:50 PM. Reason: more words
Old 12-15-2017, 02:10 PM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

I have a question. Does your truck have the amp and oil pressure gauges? I'm asking because if it does there is a fuse in that circuit that will shut you down completely if it blows.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:25 PM
ihcc104
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have power but not the starting circuit, maybe a neutral safety switch if its an auto trans...? But definitely could be the ignition switch

Old 12-15-2017, 06:50 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
When ya ain't got nothin', ya got nothin' to lose. Wait, that's not it. Think about it though...

One minute you're cruising, the next there's no electrical anywhere - no lights, no dash no nothin', it should be simple to find and fix because it's a major connection. Check for loose and corroded cables &c. Try wiggling wires harness and connections.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:01 PM
Capjack01
Senior User
^ this

I'm thinking something primary as well. chassis ground, something like that. if you go from running to ice cold everything, that'd be my very first set of tests and re-tightening.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:27 AM
benbuilder
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Starter wire loose?

One of my employees changed the starter on my daughters 75. worked fine. One day later, and 25 miles away from home, she said it would not start. Nothing. Dead. I drove up to find starter wire on starter was loose.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:32 AM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

Wiring

Originally Posted by Tedster9
When ya ain't got nothin', ya got nothin' to lose. Wait, that's not it. Think about it though...

One minute you're cruising, the next there's no electrical anywhere - no lights, no dash no nothin', it should be simple to find and fix because it's a major connection. Check for loose and corroded cables &c. Try wiggling wires harness and connections.

Yea! That's what I been trying to say.

Quick Reply: electrical issue