6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2009 F550 6.4 Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 09:49 AM
vortac
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 F550 6.4 Wont Start

Thanks In advance

First Post Seem to be to a Doosey

2009 F550 6.4 Wont Start Bucket truck
My Tech drives the truck for service and went into Limp mode several times He kept resetting the codes with a scanner to keep the truck going . Until the truck would crank ,but would not start. He did not write codes down and must have resetting 10 times without letting me know.
The truck was towed to a shop close to where he broke down. I could not give them codes they said they could not get the truck started. He brought in a Ford Tech who flashed computer. He said he could only get it started with either. After the flash I am not sure if he was telling the truth
He said the High pressure pump failed. 5100.00 job
I towed the truck to my mechanic. He said the Lift pump was out putting 2 psi. The filter was rusty and shaving in the lift pump. What I found out was my tech was running the fuel low a lot.
He Replaced lift pump and was getting 7psi. Fuel flowing great on top of the motor. Still would not start. He said he is getting 5000 psi He than thought the high pressure pump was bad and found fuel under the truck . Said high pressure pump is working. Injectors were pumping.

Checked fuse 72 actuator working fine. Pulled side of motor says crank and cam are working,however not sure if they are bent etc.

He is not sure what to do at this point.I think he is an honest guy. And trying not to rip the motor apart.

Has anyone had this experience or any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Old 12-08-2017, 10:01 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
I hope you do not have a failed HPFP accompanied by metal particles in both filters....

understand that the fuel system is tightly coupled and when the HPFP fails, it causes problems with injectors as well.

metal in filters means the HPFP is failing or has failed. when this occurs, metal particles enter the fuel system.

the HPFP pumps fuel to the fuel rails, the fuel rails feed the injectors, unused high pressure fuel returns back to the fuel system. this is why metal particles from the HPFP wind up in filters.

these particles that travel from the failing HPFP to the fuel rail, then the injectors, will get stuck in the injectors causing the injectors to fail as well.

once it is established that the HPFP failed, and there is metal from the pump in the fuel system, the repair has to be complete...or things will fail again.

a worst case senerio

replace HPFP
replace injectors
replace fuel lines from fuel lines to injectors
remove fuel rail and inspect for metal particles, if found replace the fuel rails
back flush the fuel lines from front to back
replace all filters
remove the tank, inspect for metal particles, flush the tank

Old 12-08-2017, 10:22 AM
vortac
New User
2009 6.4l Wont Start

Thank you I am going to go over this with the mechanic we are working together on this at this point.
There was rust particles in the lift pump which came directly from the fuel tank i thought.
I do not believe there was any metal particles in the fuel filter on top where the lift pump pumps to

Old 12-08-2017, 10:26 AM
vortac
New User
2009 F550 Wont Start

It seems the injectors have the proper psi as they are opening and passing fuel . The mechanic said there was fuel under the truck.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:12 AM
vortac
New User
2009 F550

Is there any situation were no codes can be present and the truck go into limp mode and than not start at all

Now the truck cranks does not start . Fuel System seems to operating as it should but truck will not start.

Could the erg fail and not code and lock out the truck from starting

Old 12-08-2017, 11:43 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you know that fuel is reaching the cylinder? Have they considered pulling the glow plugs?

For the motor to run you need fuel presure, crank and cam synch, and compression.

Rust in the tank at the lift pump could have come from a steel transfer tank, or many different sources.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Respectfully, Obviously your truck is in the wild where you might be unaware of everything that has and has not been done to it.

IF by chance, someone used starting fluid on this motor then your entire valve train could be toast. You might have them pull the glow plugs so they can do a compression test.

Good luck

Old 12-08-2017, 01:09 PM
vortac
New User
I hear you Sometimes I feel like Im in the sticks However I am in New York In Long Island

Went to a new guy and I didn't like to hear they sprayed ether. What I get from listening to a friend recommendation

Is there any way to definitely tell if ether did the truck in

There is fuel when pulled the glow plugs The only thing left is compression

Any advice anyone can pass along would be appreciated. Learning diesel the hard way

This is getting worst

Old 12-08-2017, 01:18 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by vortac
I hear you Sometimes I feel like Im in the sticks However I am in New York In Long Island

Went to a new guy and I didn't like to hear they sprayed ether. What I get from listening to a friend recommendation

Is there any way to definitely tell if ether did the truck in

There is fuel when pulled the glow plugs The only thing left is compression

Any advice anyone can pass along would be appreciated. Learning diesel the hard way

This is getting worst
In a modern diesel, either and high compression would destroy the valves resulting in no compression. There is no actual way to tell if either was used unless you break down the motor.

Compression can be check via the glow plug port.

Also, remove the oil filler cap and then place your hand on the open oil filler hole while cranking the motor (glow plugs in place) - significant flutter could indicate a collapsed piston. Though your best approach is simply pull the glow plugs for a compression test.

Good luck.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:07 AM
vortac
New User
Here an update. Do not know what to do hands up.
Fuel system seems to be working as it should. Still no start compression on the two rear cylinders we can reach 250. Mechanc stated compression low however he thinks it might be do to timing.
he is suggesting to go to another mechanic that he had in to look
im sure his bill will be a 1000 ++ with the lift pump install and unsuccessful fix.
first guy 500 tried to sell me high pressure pump job for 5100. Until 2 Nd guy replaced lift pump
short of Ford to pay top dollar. Im going to try to search out a ford 6.4 guy
anyo e have any diagnostic help.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:07 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by vortac
Here an update. Do not know what to do hands up.
Fuel system seems to be working as it should. Still no start compression on the two rear cylinders we can reach 250. Mechanc stated compression low however he thinks it might be do to timing.
he is suggesting to go to another mechanic that he had in to look
im sure his bill will be a 1000 ++ with the lift pump install and unsuccessful fix.
first guy 500 tried to sell me high pressure pump job for 5100. Until 2 Nd guy replaced lift pump
short of Ford to pay top dollar. Im going to try to search out a ford 6.4 guy
anyo e have any diagnostic help.
Not likely timing.

This is a great resource:
Powerstroke 6.4L Bible Page

If you look at page 16 of the Overview you’ll see that the crank to cam timing is a direct gear drive, not likely that it could jump.

But, that leaves two sensors that could be causing problems - cam position sensor and crank position sensor. They have to synchronize before the motor will come to life. Which leaves the sensors themselves or the potential of a bad connection or chaffed wiring harness that is preventing the computers from communicating.

Scratching my head as in an earlier post I thought you mentioned you had fuel, does that mean fuel in the cylinder?

Old 12-13-2017, 09:11 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
That mechanic is probably in over his head.

As an FYI - with fuel components being replaced there is the probability that there is air in the system - many have described that it takes a multiple minutes of cranking to clear the air out.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:11 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Good luck.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:40 PM
vortac
New User
F550 6.4

I am getting fuel to the cylinders do you still think that they would be air in the lines preventing it from starting

Old 12-13-2017, 12:52 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
What’s the problem with pulling diagnostic codes.

there should be a half dosen codes evident .

Quick Reply: 2009 F550 6.4 Wont Start