2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Kicker door speakers and center channel

Old 12-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Cbruns12
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kicker door speakers and center channel

Anyone swap out their Sony trash out yet? I just ordered replacement Kicker speakers from Stage 3 Performance. I’m hoping the kit clears up the sound.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:32 PM
Cbruns12
Freshman User
Well, here’s what it looks like to swap your door speakers out. I made adapters out of 1/2” MDF to fit stock bolt location. I also added Dynamat to keep distortion down. I still have the back doors to do, but I can already tell a huge difference.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:56 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Just FYI, that dynamat isn't going to do anything for you. You need to cover as much of the door skin as you can to get benefits from it. Did you leave the stock tweeters hooked up? Any reason you didn't do components up front?

I've got some Focals sitting in the garage, can't wait for my amp to show up.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:25 PM
Cbruns12
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tricon
Just FYI, that dynamat isn't going to do anything for you. You need to cover as much of the door skin as you can to get benefits from it. Did you leave the stock tweeters hooked up? Any reason you didn't do components up front?

I've got some Focals sitting in the garage, can't wait for my amp to show up.
Actually, you are wrong. The dynamat will act as a gasket between the doorskin and the MDF. This will prevent vibration and distortion.. but what do I know. I’ve only been installing car audio for the last 10 Years.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:32 PM
SupDuty
New User
Man that stock Sony speaker looks cheap. No wonder it’s so gutless.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:34 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Cbruns12
Actually, you are wrong. The dynamat will act as a gasket between the doorskin and the MDF. This will prevent vibration and distortion.. but what do I know. I’ve only been installing car audio for the last 10 Years.
Sure, it'll work as a gasket, (it's not doing anything for distortion) but why not use any number of other materials that were designed for that? Dynamat will stiffen your door skin and dampen power robbing resonances. That's what it's best at and designed to do. Why not apply it the way it was designed if you've already gone through the hassle of taking the door panels off? That's where you reduce distortion and resonance. You have to dampen that entire plane.

You installed stereos for 10 years and you replaced component speakers with coaxials? Why? Did you unhook the stock tweeters at least or do you have off axis highs fighting each other?

Sorry man, not trying to **** on your thread. It just raised so many questions for me.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:48 PM
SloScooter
Senior User
Anyone swap out their Sony trash out yet? I just ordered replacement Kicker speakers from Stage 3 Performance. I’m hoping the kit clears up the sound.
To get the most out of your speakers I would add speaker baffles and seal the doors. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_237XT6...h.html?tp=2809

Old 01-20-2018, 09:43 PM
Cbruns12
Freshman User
Sure, it'll work as a gasket, (it's not doing anything for distortion) but why not use any number of other materials that were designed for that? Dynamat will stiffen your door skin and dampen power robbing resonances. That's what it's best at and designed to do. Why not apply it the way it was designed if you've already gone through the hassle of taking the door panels off? That's where you reduce distortion and resonance. You have to dampen that entire plane.

You installed stereos for 10 years and you replaced component speakers with coaxials? Why? Did you unhook the stock tweeters at least or do you have off axis highs fighting each other?

Sorry man, not trying to **** on your thread. It just raised so many questions for me.
No need to apologize- this is the internet. There will always be some D-bag that has some bigger or better idea for your build. Thanks for raising your questions/ concerns. Now, move along.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:17 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
No need to apologize- this is the internet. There will always be some D-bag that has some bigger or better idea for your build. Thanks for raising your questions/ concerns. Now, move along.
Haha, sorry to ruin your day snowflake.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:18 PM
falconetti
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
lol you guys, anyway, remember, any retail store with buying power can order from a company with the specs to make it cheap but keep the name, home depot and lowes do this with appliances and some of us buy them not knowing which ones they are. I only know a few that we deal with in my businees there are alot more. ford can order a turd from sony, put it in the door and still day it has a sony turd system. i still don't understand the odd mounting screw locations of those speakers. so annoying.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:21 PM
falconetti
Mountain Pass
Haha, sorry to ruin your day snowflake.
If i may make a suggestion. When others read arguments between persons over the internet, d-bag and snowflake are what comes into their minds. I dont really want to speak for others, but, come on guys. Really?

Old 01-20-2018, 11:49 PM
Precisionair
Senior User
Nice job man,...looks good.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:37 AM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by falconetti
If i may make a suggestion. When others read arguments between persons over the internet, d-bag and snowflake are what comes into their minds. I dont really want to speak for others, but, come on guys. Really?
You're right, I'm in the wrong here. I re-read my posts and I came off like the d-bag. Nice upgrade, sorry for asking.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:38 AM
falconetti
Mountain Pass
i wish I could hear the difference. Was it a huge improvement?

Old 01-21-2018, 02:30 AM
Overslope
Junior User
Looks good man. How tough are the door panels to remove? Should I go ahead and order extra plastic clips to replace the ones I break?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kicker door speakers and center channel