Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Gave her a "Bottle"

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 10:26 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Gave her a "Bottle"

Want going to post it, since it seems to be the norm, after 17+yrs with original, but finally had to give her a new reservoir. She was pissing faintly about 3in up from bottom. Shoe goo and duct tape lasted a few days until I couldn't take it no more. Hit Autozoo and 65 bones later,(last night) she's holding down her fluid...now, here's the kicker, lol. I THOUGHT, the OEM cap would be better suited to run, but keep the aftermarket in the glove box. Whatta idea that was! This morning, drove 80 miles one way to start doing the Xmas light installs, I hit Walmart to top the bottle off. Low and behold, wouldn't you know it, that damn bottle puked the OEM cap off and was sitting next to the battery, with NO fluid lost...yeah, I installed the other cap

Old 11-21-2017, 10:32 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
I remember reading multiple posts about the Dorman threads being slightly off when compared to OEM threads.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:49 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Well, these days none of the bottles seem to be any good. My OEM Ford Motorcraft degas bottle I bought a couple of months ago is already leaking at the seam on the front by the hold down tab. I went and bought a Dorman yesterday.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:57 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicmike
Well, these days none of the bottles seem to be any good. My OEM Ford Motorcraft degas bottle I bought a couple of months ago is already leaking at the seam on the front by the hold down tab. I went and bought a Dorman yesterday.
That does make me feel a little better. I didn't want to spend the $85 extra for the own overflow bottle so I went Dorman. Quality was great, and your experience make me happy about me choice. Sorry to hear about your tank. It should be under warranty correct? I thought Motorcraft parts came with a 2 year warranty?

Old 11-22-2017, 05:13 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Are Dorman and Motorcraft bottles both Chinese now?

Old 11-22-2017, 08:50 AM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
I went through this as well about a month or 2 ago now. I found the OEM bottle on Amazon relatively cheap, but the reviews gave me reservations on it as well as the Dorman. I was recommended the Napa one with a lifetime warranty. No issues with the cap or bottle thus far. No where on the box was a brand name, but on the bottle itself does appear what resembles the Dorman logo. Time will tell, but I was not about to pay $400 for those aluminum ones.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:49 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
When in doubt, Clay usually gets my money. I've been satisfied with his Ford degas bottle so far.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:25 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
A follow-up to this old thread for those considering a Dorman:

Three years ago I bought the Dorman bottle. Cap never fit right (was about .025" difference in thread diameter, loose cap). Since I live at about sea level, the lack of system pressurization was never a factor, even here in the HOT summers of LaLaLand. Thermostat at 192, and boiling point at 212, there was plenty of headroom for a cooling system of this size to prevent boil-over.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago on I-70 at the top of the summit just west of Green River, Utah, at 7900 feet altitude. Boiling point up there is about 195 degrees F. Pushed the engine to get to the top with the travel trailer, and got the cooling system into volcano mode. Virtually all the coolant lost on the asphalt at the lookout point up there. Fortunately, we have plenty of on-board water in the trailer, so I was able to get it cooled down and on our way downhill. I bought a "slightly" tighter-fitting cap at NAPA in Green River, which did help somewhat. We also detoured off of I-70 (I did NOT want to use the Eisenhower Tunnels at 12,000 feet in a pressure-compromised condition), and went up to I-80. This took us up over the Sherman Summit west of Cheyenne, Wyoming (8600 ft), even higher than Utah. I didn't push the engine hard climbing up, and everything "held".

Now, I needed to get the tap water out of the engine. I bought LOTs of distilled water, four gallons of Final Charge (EC-1 rated) at NAPA, and changed the coolant while in Minnesota.

The rest of our six-week trip to the Midwest and back, including Lake Tahoe, was uneventful, radiator-wise, but I decided "never again"!

Last week I called Clay, and the OEM Ford degas bottle arrived here in ASAP time! Thanks, Clay!

My caps, the old Ford, the NAPA, and a new Standt, all fit much better on this bottle, and will actually tighten to the ratchet point without "stripping" the plastic threads.

Now, to find that pesky small oil leak!

Pop

Old 10-07-2018, 04:50 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
A follow-up to this old thread for those considering a Dorman:

Three years ago I bought the Dorman bottle. Cap never fit right (was about .025" difference in thread diameter, loose cap). Since I live at about sea level, the lack of system pressurization was never a factor, even here in the HOT summers of LaLaLand. Thermostat at 192, and boiling point at 212, there was plenty of headroom for a cooling system of this size to prevent boil-over.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago on I-70 at the top of the summit just west of Green River, Utah, at 7900 feet altitude. Boiling point up there is about 195 degrees F. Pushed the engine to get to the top with the travel trailer, and got the cooling system into volcano mode. Virtually all the coolant lost on the asphalt at the lookout point up there. Fortunately, we have plenty of on-board water in the trailer, so I was able to get it cooled down and on our way downhill. I bought a "slightly" tighter-fitting cap at NAPA in Green River, which did help somewhat. We also detoured off of I-70 (I did NOT want to use the Eisenhower Tunnels at 12,000 feet in a pressure-compromised condition), and went up to I-80. This took us up over the Sherman Summit west of Cheyenne, Wyoming (8600 ft), even higher than Utah. I didn't push the engine hard climbing up, and everything "held".

Now, I needed to get the tap water out of the engine. I bought LOTs of distilled water, four gallons of Final Charge (EC-1 rated) at NAPA, and changed the coolant while in Minnesota.

The rest of our six-week trip to the Midwest and back, including Lake Tahoe, was uneventful, radiator-wise, but I decided "never again"!

Last week I called Clay, and the OEM Ford degas bottle arrived here in ASAP time! Thanks, Clay!

My caps, the old Ford, the NAPA, and a new Standt, all fit much better on this bottle, and will actually tighten to the ratchet point without "stripping" the plastic threads.

Now, to find that pesky small oil leak!

Pop
You’re braver than I am, that Dormon bottle would have been gone in a heartbeat especially towing and towing at elevation. If you haven’t installed it yet get a plastic welding kit and weld the seam before installing the new bottle. The first degas bottle I got from Clay leaked within 3 months, Clay replaced it without issue. Upon inspecting the new bottle you can actually see where the are “issues” with the welded seam. I bought a welding kit, $30 and rewelded the entire seam, no issues going on 14 months. Make sure you use a Ford cap on the Ford bottle.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:50 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Clay told me on the phone that there had been some seam issues, but he believed them to be no longer a factor.

How long ago was your purchase?

Pop

Old 10-07-2018, 07:54 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Early last year, On the new one you could see the area where the press wasn’t set up properly. I used this kit to reweld the seam:
Amazon Amazon

Old 10-07-2018, 10:00 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
I went straight to 1st unread so not sure if i updated either but, i remember installing the bottle and its maiden voyage from O.C. to beaumont(60+ miles), nothing but the 91e to 10e freeway at 5:30am doing 75mph to meet up with buddy to do installs. While waiting for him in Walmart parking lot, something in my little cranium said to check resivoir. Popped hood and what you know, nocap! Damn thing was bed rid'n next to p/s battery. Not sure why i did, but HAD the oem cap with me in pas side door. Installed it, left dorman cap in parking lot trashcan and so far, knock on wood, everything been bee-you- tee-ful...