2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Deleting soon, advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 07:39 AM
Chris Crews
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Deleting soon, advice

i have asked a few questions in a fb group but also want to branch out and ask here also.

I am learning new new stuff about deleting and what all is required for it.

I have a existing iPhone 6 or 7 that I can use as a display screen and am going to go with ez lynk. However I am trying to decide which to pick between PPEI and GDP what do you guys suggest or have experience with? I only want ez lynk no other platform because I don’t want to constantly have a gauge mounted in my truck.

I know transmission tunes are not out for ez lynk yet and will patiently wait but want to go ahead and do a full delete. My dealer is going to do the delete for me and told me to keep my parts if I need major warranty work.

I am doing a 5 inch turbo back straight pipe and removing the def tank, DPF and egr.

Which company do you guys guys think is the best to go with gdp or ppei ? I am also open to other suggestions. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:19 AM
falconetti
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Would also like to see opinons to these same questions.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:24 AM
TufLuk13
Senior User
I have no experience with GDP but I have used PPEI for tunes. I wouldn't worry about trans tunes. I had them on my Chevy and it didn't seem any different than the Duramax I had before that one without the trans tunes. PPEI was the first company to have tunes for the 2017 ford super duty trucks so thats probably a bonus. They were also one of the first if not the first to be using EZ Lynk.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:48 AM
Chris Crews
Elder User
Does ppei offer good customer support and have legit tunes?

when you say don’t worrie about tranny tunes isn’t that something too worrie about I do not want my transmission slipping or anything

Old 11-18-2017, 11:49 AM
C_Smitty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have an AWESOME dealer!

Old 11-18-2017, 12:34 PM
2017-350
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
The shop i talked to just a week ago in Houston, Texas recommends going with GDP over PPEI because the customer support is apparently a lot better

Old 11-18-2017, 12:51 PM
TufLuk13
Senior User
Originally Posted by Chris Crews
Does ppei offer good customer support and have legit tunes?

when you say don’t worrie about tranny tunes isn’t that something too worrie about I do not want my transmission slipping or anything
PPEI in my experience has good customer support if you know the right people. If you don't know anyone that works for them, their customer service is "ok" but not great.

I just meant I wouldn't spend the extra money as I didn't see it doing anything extra to warrant spending the extra couple hundred dollars. Trans tunes are generally going to be for people who are racing or driving their truck aggressively a lot. I had no trans tunes on 2 diesel trucks and had no issues with my trans. I had trans tunes on my last diesel and ended up slipping the trans and having to get it fixed.

I don't know what your purpose for deleting is but mine is to increase the longevity of my motor, get better fuel mileage, not have to worry about DEF fill ups, sound, looks, and overall better performance. I'm not looking to drag race my truck or even romp on it very often.

Originally Posted by C_Smitty
You have an AWESOME dealer!
I was going to say the same. That really is an awesome deal he's got.

Originally Posted by 2017-350
The shop i talked to just a week ago in Houston, Texas recommends going with GDP over PPEI because the customer support is apparently a lot better
Customer support is nice but only if you need it, I wouldn't base my decision on a company having better customer support solely. It is important but the vast majority of people who buy tunes need no customer support. You load the tunes and you never see or talk to your tuner again.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:25 PM
falconetti
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Chris Crews
i have asked a few questions in a fb group but also want to branch out and ask here also.

I am learning new new stuff about deleting and what all is required for it.

I am doing a 5 inch turbo back straight pipe and removing the def tank, DPF and egr.
So the lines and sensors that are attached just get left to hang there or are caps usually provided with these delete kits?

Old 11-18-2017, 01:32 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by falconetti
So the lines and sensors that are attached just get left to hang there or are caps usually provided with these delete kits?
Sensors are unplugged from the harness and come down and out with the exhaust. The plugs on the harness are taped/wrapped/covered with any variety of methods.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:37 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

As to trans tuning, it makes a world of difference. Doesn't matter if you are running stock power levels, a good trans tune can make the truck feel stronger even if no power was added thanks to crisper shifts and torque converter lockup scheduling.

The Duramax and Cummins trucks have "trans" tuning, but due to the design of their autos versus the 6r140, it isn't night and day different. There is a very noticeable difference between a tuned 6r140 vs a non tuned 6r140

Old 11-18-2017, 05:25 PM
falconetti
Mountain Pass
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PPEI-SOTF-E...59.m2763.l2649

anyone have opinions on this package?

Old 11-18-2017, 05:35 PM
falconetti
Mountain Pass
Old 11-18-2017, 06:20 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by falconetti
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PPEI-SOTF-E...59.m2763.l2649

anyone have opinions on this package?
Minus what looks to be a junk Sinister EGR delete kit, that's a pretty good price. Make sure the kit is for a 2017 as the tuning, intake, and EGR delete will be different.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:22 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

You want an EGR delete that has the pass-through plate that allows coolant to flow like it did with the EGR cooler intact. That kit dead heads the two coolant ports.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:57 PM
falconetti
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by UGA33
You want an EGR delete that has the pass-through plate that allows coolant to flow like it did with the EGR cooler intact. That kit dead heads the two coolant ports.
Thanks for the help, this is what is in the description that is throwing me off

EGR Removal
Quicker Turbo Spool up Time
Completes Coolant Circuit
New Lines
Easy Installation

Quick Reply: Deleting soon, advice